Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2005 430 Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 07:20 PM
vtecpower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 430 Lowering

Hello I needed some advice in lowering my 2005 GS 430. I have lowered cars before and had problems with my bushing that wore out fast. And blew my ball joints ext. I want to lower my car without it taking a toll on my suspension and my car. I want to drop 1 inch. I also want to know what ideas for the coilovers, camber kit, sway bars ect. The whole 9. My desired ride would be a little tighter than stock, not quite as boaty. But still as smooth as possible. " I want to know what products to buy do do this" Thank You! this is my everyday driver.
Old 09-11-12, 02:20 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

The cheapest route would be springs and struts. For a 1" drop, I'd do Eibach springs, and KYB shocks. That'll get you about 1.25" drop and maintain a smooth ride, AND probably allow for proper alignments without ANY other suspension parts.

That's the route I took, but I end up get a pair of adjustable UCAs, and an inexpensive rear camber kit.. If you mean tighter as in "precise", I'd probably replace worn suspension parts to eliminate slop. If you mean tighter as in "flatter cornering", then I'd also recommend a strut tower brace, and beefier sway bars.

And think of your lower ball joints like your timing belt. Replace them BEFORE they fail to avoid COSTLY repairs. Depending on mileage, it's smart to replace your caster arms at the same time you do your ball joints, due to the fact that worn caster arms allow for more stress on the ball joints.
Old 09-17-12, 05:36 AM
vtecpower
Driver School Candidate

Thanks 57 k on mileage. I not worried about price as much as I am " will the parts not go bad due to stress Fromm lowering" I want to not worry about something wearing out faster due to the drop. I want it to be as if the car was originally engineered to be an inch lower.
Old 09-28-12, 08:37 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah springs would be the best way to go
Old 09-30-12, 09:06 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the springs. KYB would be a great combo
Old 09-30-12, 10:16 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with a spring/shock combo is that you're going to have to buy new springs and new shocks to handle the springs. OEM suspension will blow fairly quick if you're going to put lowering springs on them. Also unless you're doing all the labor yourself you have to think about the cost to get the springs put on the shocks and then them being re-installed on your car. You're easily hitting the 800-1k mark for a shock/spring combo which isn't even worth it.

You might as well buy some Megan EZ coils and call it a day. $600 shipped then throw them on yourself, flip your OEM suspension for $50-100. Megan EZ's ride fine. Close to stock. If you want handling improvement buy some TRD Sways. You can get them from Sewell Lexus with CL discount for under $500.

-: Megan EZ Coils
-: Moog Outer Tie Rods
-: Moog LBJ's
-: TRD Sways

There's your sport minimal drop and suspension parts taken care of for under $1200. For a 1" drop you don't need any camber items. I'm dropped about 2" in the front and 2-2 1/2" in the rear. -1.3 camber in the front and -1.75 in the rear. Nothing crazy and the ride is fine on Megan EZ's. Nice and smooth.

Last edited by LuxuryGS3; 09-30-12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 03:50 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are looking for a modest 1" drop and have no intention of slamming the car or significantly tightening up handling, just get the Tanabe NF210 springs and be done with it.

They offer a 5% spring rate increase and will work just fine with your existing suspension components (assuming they are in good shape). I have these springs and have no problems at all with a suspenson that is 100% stock outside of these springs. Car aligns great too.

Just be aware... 1" is a starting point for people. Next thing you know they are hooked and wanting to go looooow, lol.
Old 10-01-12, 09:44 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Just be aware... 1" is a starting point for people. Next thing you know they are hooked and wanting to go looooow, lol.
Exactly why I recommend coilovers over springs/shocks any day, lol. Plus you can play with the drop a bit. Springs aren't always 100% even drop. With coils you can fiddle with it to get that perfect drop you want for looks and feel.
Old 11-20-12, 09:55 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Exactly why I recommend coilovers over springs/shocks any day, lol. Plus you can play with the drop a bit. Springs aren't always 100% even drop. With coils you can fiddle with it to get that perfect drop you want for looks and feel.
Exactly right. I always tell people that if you are particular about ride height, C/O's are the only way to go...