Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBKs from other cars made to fit IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 06:11 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default BBKs from other cars made to fit IS350?

Admittedly, I'm not a brake expert....at all! All of my cars I bought BBKs that were mainly plug and play (and redick overpriced).

With the IS350, has anyone adapted BBKs from other vehicles with success? Mainly speaking about calipers. I have a nice set of Brembo f/r calipers from an Evo Viii that would look soooo good on this car (with fresh powdercoat). Can this properly be done using adaptors or similar or am I just dreaming?

Pic for illustration purposes only....This is NOT my pic, its from EvoM:
Old 08-17-12, 03:39 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

I would look into the 2013 GS350 RWD F-Sport front brakes if I were you, or IS-F obviously.

Just a suggestion!

Jeff
Old 08-17-12, 05:19 PM
VIP LXS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are alot of variables that come into play. You would have to see if there is enough contact with the oem rotor, that is if your planning to run the oem lexus rotoror an aftermarket rotor, custom bracket to mount the caliper, etc...

I have project Mu bbk's so it was a complete swap, dismount the caliper and rotor, install new rotor, mounting bracket for the bbk caliper, brake lines. The only mod I had to do was to trim the dust sheild due to the fact that the caliper and the rotor got in the way.
Old 08-22-12, 04:52 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Thanks guys. I think I'll be a little bit more deteremined come winter and my car is parked for the season. I'll see what I can come up with and report back
Old 08-22-12, 10:39 AM
euroimage
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with calipers that do not have the cast in brackets, such as porsche it is rather easy to make them work with a set of adapters.

as seen here you simply make a bracket to bolt to the caliper that has proper spacing for the rotor you will be using and holes to mount to the spindle.

The ones you have pictured above have the mounting points cast in which would make it harder to adapt if the bolt holes do not line up. MIGHT be able to machine it down and tap holes to make them more like the porsche style caliper, but may be easier to sell your set and buy some other calipers.

as mentioned above, aftermarket kits come with brackets to adapt, so first step would be to have calipers that have the means to attach adapters to.
Just speaking from my experience, hope it helps!
if you were to have brackets made like the ones in this picture it would be possible, but would require a much larger rotor to compensate for the distance you will be putting the caliper away from the hub

random pic of someone else diy adapter just to help with visualization

with the other style mounting you would have a bit more flexibility in rotor size and wheel clearance. there is a company out there that specializes in making adapter bracket, but i do not remember the name of them, if i come across it i will post it up for you

Last edited by euroimage; 08-22-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 07:13 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by euroimage
with calipers that do not have the cast in brackets, such as porsche it is rather easy to make them work with a set of adapters.

as seen here you simply make a bracket to bolt to the caliper that has proper spacing for the rotor you will be using and holes to mount to the spindle.

The ones you have pictured above have the mounting points cast in which would make it harder to adapt if the bolt holes do not line up. MIGHT be able to machine it down and tap holes to make them more like the porsche style caliper, but may be easier to sell your set and buy some other calipers.

as mentioned above, aftermarket kits come with brackets to adapt, so first step would be to have calipers that have the means to attach adapters to.
Just speaking from my experience, hope it helps!
if you were to have brackets made like the ones in this picture it would be possible, but would require a much larger rotor to compensate for the distance you will be putting the caliper away from the hub

random pic of someone else diy adapter just to help with visualization

with the other style mounting you would have a bit more flexibility in rotor size and wheel clearance. there is a company out there that specializes in making adapter bracket, but i do not remember the name of them, if i come across it i will post it up for you
Awesome info. - thanks! Totally enlightened me around caliper mounts! I'm really not ruling anything out as I have 4+ months to play around while my car sits for the winter. I found a good machinist as well when I ventured down the S/C path so something should be do able. I appreciate the insight.
Old 08-23-12, 11:13 AM
euroimage
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Awesome info. - thanks! Totally enlightened me around caliper mounts! I'm really not ruling anything out as I have 4+ months to play around while my car sits for the winter. I found a good machinist as well when I ventured down the S/C path so something should be do able. I appreciate the insight.
no problem at all. anything is possible, just gotta take it step by step.
Old 09-03-12, 04:37 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Take off your stock caliper and hub assembly drop it off to a metal fabricator and tell him you want these calipers to fit on these rotors and that you want a machined aluminum billet bracket.

Ive done this before back in the days with willwood calipers when willwood didnt at time make bbk
Old 09-03-12, 11:22 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Is not the EVO VIII front rotor smaller than that of a IS350? Would you have to run a smaller front rotor to match that of the caliper, or can you work with a larger rotor no matter? To me, it's too many variables to worry about. Get a proven aftermarket Brembo kit specifically designed for the 2IS...just my opinion.
Old 09-16-12, 06:18 PM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Admittedly, I'm not a brake expert....at all! All of my cars I bought BBKs that were mainly plug and play (and redick overpriced).

With the IS350, has anyone adapted BBKs from other vehicles with success? Mainly speaking about calipers. I have a nice set of Brembo f/r calipers from an Evo Viii that would look soooo good on this car (with fresh powdercoat). Can this properly be done using adaptors or similar or am I just dreaming?

Pic for illustration purposes only....This is NOT my pic, its from EvoM:
This is certainly possible but would need custom rotors and brackets for the calipers. If your trully interested I can help you with the process.
Old 09-17-13, 08:08 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this? Anyone using calipers from another car with adapters/ brackets?
Old 09-21-13, 03:13 PM
specie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try fastbrakes.com. They used to do oem brake upgrades for certain vehicles, not sure if it's just wildwood that's available for the IS through them now.