Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

steering ecu ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 10:29 AM
repman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering ecu ?

just put on the ltune springs and shocks and really like them ,but i also got the steering ecu and the number appears to be the same as what i took off which is 89650 it is the same color and came in a toyota box is this the upgraded ecu or did they send me another stock one dont want to put it in till i find out. so anyone who has installed the ltune ecu please respond. tks larry
Old 10-22-02, 10:36 AM
apatel
Pole Position

yes, the factory steering ECU and the ltuned one look exactly the same so you should probably mark one to differentiate them. But once you install the ltuned version you will notice the improved steering response immediately. Good luck
Old 10-22-02, 10:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

repman,

I just had the L-tuned Springs and Shocks, but they don't have my L-tuned steering ECU ready yet. That is the part I really want.

Here is the thread to my initial review:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60782
Old 10-23-02, 10:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

How many labor hours did the dealership charge u for?

Lexus of Manhattan told me it would take 7 hours for the install, which to me seems way too much.
Old 10-23-02, 10:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RNM GS3

Lexus of Manhattan told me it would take 7 hours for the install, which to me seems way too much.
RNMGS3.

It was about that much too and the 15% off Labor and parts helps! You could probably find some other dealers that do this, but I am confident in LOM's L-tuned install experience and plus Eddie's service is very good and they are a CL sponsor.
Old 10-23-02, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by RNM GS3

i don't know about the ny area, but here in cali (either north cali or south cali), from the time they start lifting up your car to the point they put down your car with the l-tuned springs and shocks it won't be anything more than 2 hrs. that's with 2 people working on the car. and it's professionally done already, no squeak, nothing. in LA the running price for installation would be around 100, and in north cali it would be around 180 at most
Old 10-23-02, 11:40 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl

i don't know about the ny area, but here in cali (either north cali or south cali), from the time they start lifting up your car to the point they put down your car with the l-tuned springs and shocks it won't be anything more than 2 hrs. that's with 2 people working on the car. and it's professionally done already, no squeak, nothing. in LA the running price for installation would be around 100, and in north cali it would be around 180 at most
ROMINL - dude!!!!

This is why I should be living in sunny CALI! Where the Lexus tuners & upgraders are plenty and near.

Ahhhh you guys have it good out there in the west! Here in the east, it's tough to find a good dealer that even knows what L-tuned is???!!!. Lexus of Manhattan is doing a great job for me so far.

Last edited by lexguynj; 10-24-02 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-24-02, 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lexguynj

ROMINL - dude!!!! this is why I should be living in sunny CALI! Where the Lexus tuners & upgraders are plenty and near. Ahh you guys have it good out there in the west! Here in the east, it's tough to find a good dealer that even knows what something as L-tuned is. Lexus of Manhattan is doing a great job for me so far.
yeah i know, that's why i stressed that in CA that's the running price and time. i have seen them installing, they were chatting around when working, it's not like they were even rushing. 7 hrs is really too much i have to say

but then it's all about supply and demand. here in cali there are so many people modding cars and so many mod shops therefore the prices and stuff are competitive. and we always have a lot of knowledgeable people here (not all though).
Old 10-24-02, 12:21 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took the shop where i went ~2.5 hrs, and cost $125...they then referred me to this alignment shop that specializes in lowered cars with aero kits(owered cars cannot go on certain lift), so the tech guys walked under the car, took out tape measure and started aligning the GS...amazing, old fashioned...:eek:
Old 10-24-02, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS4Will
it took the shop where i went ~2.5 hrs, and cost $125...they then referred me to this alignment shop that specializes in lowered cars with aero kits(owered cars cannot go on certain lift), so the tech guys walked under the car, took out tape measure and started aligning the GS...amazing, old fashioned...:eek:

ahahaa.......... will, my tears is running out of my eyes now man. they lowered your car, then they referred you to a shop that doesn't really align lowered car, and ended up using tape to measure? haha... dude, could that even be accurate when other shops are using laser?
Old 10-24-02, 12:32 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I still think it's like a crap shoot anywhere (even in CALI) when it come to any kind of service. Sure you want experience and good reviews from others, but nothing is guarenteed (I wish it was!),

I believe it can also depend on the installers working on your car. I think in CALI with the number of mods being done and the referrals, you have a better chance of going to a place that knows what they are doing (since they have done it often) and does it right as well as appreciates a job well done. I want to believe that most people, no matter what their job, puts some pride and workmanship into it.

As discussed before the East does have some good places to go to for modding your car, but the resources and access to these places are not as easy if I were in CA. Heck there are great Lexus dealers out in CALI that charge a reasonable price for upgrades, that I would use in a heartbeat if I knew other members on CL had great things to say about it.

My local one in central NJ, doesn't even know or want to know about L-Tuned (I think this has to do with the majority of their clientile being older and not into modding their cars).

It would be so convenient to use them for L-tuned installs, since they are only 15 minutes away. But since they don't I am willing to drive over 1 hour into NYC to our CL sponsor, Lexus of Manhattan do get this done, because L-Tuned upgrades are not only needed, but essential to bringing out the best in our GSs.

My venting is now complete.
Old 10-24-02, 12:32 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nonono...Romi...get some kleenex...they(SP engineering) referred me to a shop that SPECIALIZEs in lowered car alignment...they did a great job actually...kyle3481/aka Andrew wanted a high tech align from Longo, but Veronne and Ted could not do it for the fact of his GS has aero kit, and could not go onto the lift...so i took him to the "hand align" place and everything was good...
Old 10-24-02, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS4Will
nonono...Romi...get some kleenex...they(SP engineering) referred me to a shop that SPECIALIZEs in lowered car alignment...they did a great job actually...kyle3481/aka Andrew wanted a high tech align from Longo, but Veronne and Ted could not do it for the fact of his GS has aero kit, and could not go onto the lift...so i took him to the "hand align" place and everything was good...
ah icic... yeah actually i was thinking, if i get body kit together with how low my car is now, i wonder if it will be able to get on the lift anymore
Old 10-24-02, 01:17 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rominl,

Are you talking about Lexus time or independent shop time? I agree with your numbers as actual time. With 2 people working on a car, does Lexus consider that 4 hours (2 people x 2 hours)? Your prices do not resemble any Lexus dealer I know. I am sure if the NY guys take their cars to a trusted independent shop, it would not take 7 hours either. Part of the reason I suspect that these NY guys installed L-Tuned was because of warranty issues. In order to really keep the warranty, Lexus has to do the install and hence the higher price.

As for the steering ECU, don't expect a miracle guys. Unless you are very sensitive to the steering feel, you will notice a slight change but not night and day. When I installed mine, I took it out for a ride onto the freeway. Yes there was a change but not a WOW change. I've had it for awhile now so I don't even remember what stock feels like anymore. Steering is actually still too luxurious (read loose) for my taste.
Old 10-24-02, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
rominl,

Are you talking about Lexus time or independent shop time? I agree with your numbers as actual time. With 2 people working on a car, does Lexus consider that 4 hours (2 people x 2 hours)? Your prices do not resemble any Lexus dealer I know. I am sure if the NY guys take their cars to a trusted independent shop, it would not take 7 hours either. Part of the reason I suspect that these NY guys installed L-Tuned was because of warranty issues. In order to really keep the warranty, Lexus has to do the install and hence the higher price.

As for the steering ECU, don't expect a miracle guys. Unless you are very sensitive to the steering feel, you will notice a slight change but not night and day. When I installed mine, I took it out for a ride onto the freeway. Yes there was a change but not a WOW change. I've had it for awhile now so I don't even remember what stock feels like anymore. Steering is actually still too luxurious (read loose) for my taste.
oh yeah i am referring to actual hours. didn't really bother to ask any dealers about these stuff. in general most dealers don't know much about aftermarket parts than shops outside (not always, i know some mechanics at dealers are good).

and for more road feel? get 19" with low profile tires j/k

Quick Reply: steering ecu ?