Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another Converted L-Tuned Customer - Comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 12:13 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Converted L-Tuned Customer - Comments

Today I had my L-tuned Shocks and Springs installed by the dealer. The install was to also include the L-Tuned Steering ECU, but it turns out that part is on back order, so I will have that done as soon as it is available.

I have to believe that many of you out there DO NOT MOD your cars or rarely ever do so. You are like me, who believes when you buy a car fully loaded, it should have all that you want and more.

I keep telling people, you spend a lot of money on a GS4 and you expect to have it all, but in actuality Lexus falls short in the handling and steering capabilities, which is a dissapointment becuase you feel short-changed. This could be easily remedied by Lexus in the future by offerring a factory sports package option like BMW has on ALL their vehicles!

HOWEVER this L-tuned Shock, Spring and Steering ECU upgrade just had to be done. Thanks to this great CL website for bringing this to my attention since this issue was eating away at me and I needed it big time.

When I picked up my baby today after installment, I could immediately see the difference in terms of the slightly lowered look. I like it. It looks more sportier this way. I have the factory 17's now, but was thinking that 18's would look perfect (that will be another mod for another time).

You know that feeling when you expect something to be different, you actually start believing it? These months leading up to this L-Tuned install, I was dreaming about and looking foward to the improved/enhanced handling with the installment of these L-Tuned Shocks/Springs/Steering ECU. The differences and changes as discussed often on this great website, made me a BELIEVER!

So, when I drove home I was feeling for this difference. There IS a slight difference and I don't think it is all in my head! A slight difference is good, since for guys like me that rarely mod our cars, we take it slow, step by step to insure that our cars will not be messed up by any aftermarket installs. The L-tuned Shock/Spring installment does feel like the handling is tighter, more stable, and more grounded. The ride doesn't feel that different either, so it's still comfy. I just feel the bumps are taken a little harder, but that is expected from a sportier suspension. I'll drive it around more tomorrow for further testing and provide more comments soon from a first timer here.

I think the key component that is missing from all of this is the L-Tuned Steering ECU install. This is what brought me to start this mod in the first place. I wanted that tight, more stable steering, not the typcial loose stock steering with the steering wheel flying all over the place when driving over uneven payment. I am so hoping that after this install, I will see the difference in the steering.

The last thing I will do is replace the original factory tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (which are on back order for the factory 17" size). I hope this will get rid of the horrible tire noise I am getting from my Factory RE030s (22K miles on them) and provide even better handling along with the mods just performed.

After all of the above is complete, the mods at this time should be finished for now (never say never again). Then it's time to save more money to get a nice 18" wheel set and of course I always liked the L-Sportline front spoiler / bumper.

Again I am no expert in modding cars, there are many more qualified CL members out there that can better help you (heck they helped me out already). So I will continually provide feedback as I test the car out more and also have the remaining mods installed. I do have to say this is the only way to go, if you are not satisfied with your GS for any reason regarding performance.

Talk to you soon and your comments are always appreciated and welcomed!

Last edited by lexguynj; 10-13-02 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-13-02, 12:16 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i want to say is finally...and glad you like them..
Old 10-13-02, 12:26 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4Will
all i want to say is finally...and glad you like them..
Thanks GS4Will! You have made me see this light a long time ago, and I finally did it! I still have to say that CALI is the place to be to really take care of your Lex. You actually have knowledgeable Lexus dealers over there that install L-tune all the time. Here in NJ, it's like they never got the L-tuned memo or they just prefer not to do these installs. Amazing!

Thanks again for your support!

Last edited by lexguynj; 10-13-02 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-13-02, 12:28 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

You may have the record for mileage on the RE030s!!

Glad you like your L-Tuned; in some ways, for me, this spring/shock package is MORE comfortable than stock, since I no longer have the feeling that the body of the car is moving slightly out of synch with the suspension. The car feels now as if everything is moving as one whereas before the suspension felt vaguely disconnected with the body.

I'm gonna have to do something about the RE030s, though. Tramlining is getting worse as the tires wear..........not to mention noise.
Old 10-13-02, 12:40 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque
You may have the record for mileage on the RE030s!!

Glad you like your L-Tuned; in some ways, for me, this spring/shock package is MORE comfortable than stock, since I no longer have the feeling that the body of the car is moving slightly out of synch with the suspension. The car feels now as if everything is moving as one whereas before the suspension felt vaguely disconnected with the body.

I'm gonna have to do something about the RE030s, though. Tramlining is getting worse as the tires wear..........not to mention noise.
Hey Moore,

That is kind of scary now that you mentioned the mileage on my factory RE030s. I have got to get rid of them immediately. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on order, the only problem is they are back ordered!

Link to this great tire is below:

http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...otsportas.html

I'd have to agree with you on the improved handling and can't wait to drive it more tomorrow to feel it. Sportier is better and also feels safer too.

I also have this Tramlining issue, so I hope what I've done so far and will do (with the new tires) will resolve this issue or greatly improve it. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-13-02, 12:59 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I also wanted to say that I think I am falling in love with my GS430 all over again after this initial L-Tuned Shocks & Springs install.

Maybe I was losing that loving feeling for the stock model with issues like Tramlining (Steering with a mind of it's own), loose steering and floaty handling.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a most amazing car, but I think we all need more sportiness, enhance steering and handling if it can be done and out there.

Hmmmm, maybe I should renew my vows?????

Old 10-13-02, 01:00 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure thing.. i was in a similar boat as i never mod a car in my whole life..after i started with the GS, there was no going back..

22k on the 030..man that is a record:eek:
Old 10-13-02, 01:21 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

sure thing.. i was in a similar boat as i never mod a car in my whole life..after i started with the GS, there was no going back..

22k on the 030..man that is a record:eek:
REALLY? WOW! Thanks for making me aware of this. The last visit to my local Lexus Dealership, reported that I had about 25% left on the tread. Either way this is a very good excuse to get new tires and substantiate this new tire purchase as I need to get approval by the real boss here - the wife.
Old 10-13-02, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Definitely. I'd never been into mods before either. But it's fun - although you have to be careful since installs can go wrong (been there) and some people sell things that aren't all they say they are.
Old 10-14-02, 12:14 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I took the Lex out today on errands and I am still digging that lowered look from the L-tuning yesterday. The car seems to look slightly more agressive, but again I have to say that 18" rims would look just right, the 17's look too small now.

The cornering and handling are better, you can feel it. It's not a huge difference, but it is much better, which is good enough for me.

I still think the L-tuned steering ECU will help somewhat in this loose steering issue. I am hoping it does, because even with the L-tuned shocks and springs installed the steering feels the same, so I'm just waiting for that steering ECU and will keep you updated. Thanks again for listening.
Old 10-14-02, 10:44 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

lexguy, when you first looked at the car after L-Tuned install, did it look to you as if it had been lowered by more than the 1.25" quoted??

Mine looked more like twice that, but it measured out precisely one and a quarter; it really helps the look.

BTW, tramlining is as much a tire specific issue as suspension related. I'm beginning to suspect that anything that covers the rim may be better than the 030s in that regard. I'll be replacing mine soon, so I'll be interested to read of your Michelin experience when you get them on. Post when you can!!!
Old 10-14-02, 09:46 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque
lexguy, when you first looked at the car after L-Tuned install, did it look to you as if it had been lowered by more than the 1.25" quoted??

Mine looked more like twice that, but it measured out precisely one and a quarter; it really helps the look.

BTW, tramlining is as much a tire specific issue as suspension related. I'm beginning to suspect that anything that covers the rim may be better than the 030s in that regard. I'll be replacing mine soon, so I'll be interested to read of your Michelin experience when you get them on. Post when you can!!!
Mooretouque,

Right off the bat it does seem like a larger than 1.25" drop with the L-tuned Shocks / Spring upgrade. I'll have to measure it sometime. You are right it really does help the look, just sportier.

I do hope that you are right on the tire issue and I will keep you updated too. I hope to at least get rid of the horrible tire noise. Which tires are you thinking about getting to replace the factory ones?
Old 10-15-02, 06:48 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

I do hope that you are right on the tire issue and I will keep you updated too. I hope to at least get rid of the horrible tire noise. Which tires are you thinking about getting to replace the factory ones?
lex, I dunno. Haven't started to really look into it yet though I've followed all the tire posts. Also, bitkahuna has taken a different approach (actually, in an effort to cure an exhaust resonance) by felting the body beneath the back seat. I think he may have done the trunk also. Ought to reduce tire noise transmitted, too. Since I've got probably 5k left on my rubber, it'll be sometime next year before I do anything; looks like you'll beat me to it which was why I was esp. interested in your choice. Thanks in advance for your info!!
Old 10-15-02, 08:45 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Mooretorque,

OK, I'll keep you updated. Michelin says the 17" tires are now in stock, but my Tire installer has not called me back yet. Where is the good service these days? Talk to you all soon!
Old 10-15-02, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

My noise dampening work has definitely paid off. I barely notice the exhaust resonance at part throttle now. I can still hear it of course, it's just never annoyingly loud.

I applied B-Quiet's "Brown Bread" all over the bare metal of the trunk and the far 'wall' (which is a flimsy liner against the rear seat back) and under the rear seat bottom cushion and behind the carpet going down from the seat cushion to the floor because that was easy to access.

I then (and this may have made the bigger difference and was certainly a whole lot easier to put in) put a big piece of LComp under the folding piece that goes on top of the spare tire and tool tray in the trunk. This is a pretty thick foam, vinyl and lead piece that's quite heavy, but definitely an effective sound barrier. You might try just buying that and sticking it where I did without all the labor to do that Brown Bread stuff which was a bunch of work for a klutz like me.

I bought some VComp recently too since it was on sale, and I want to add that under the front seat foot well carpet to dampen noise from the front wheels. That looks like a tricky job so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quick Reply: Another Converted L-Tuned Customer - Comments