Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coil over question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 08:06 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil over question....

I installed my Megan lp coil overs today and I measured each one lock to lock to make sure that the front were gonna sit the the same and did the same for the rear... It seems to me that all of them are sitting a little different. My question to you guys is do they sometimes have to be adjusted accordingly or are my measurements just off 4 times lol. Let me know if anyone else has evr ran into this issue.... Gonna double check my measurements this weekend just wanted a heads up before I go nuts....
Old 02-01-12, 08:22 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The car does not weigh the exact same on each corner. So you may need adjust the car accordingly. Measuring the shock mounting legnth is a proper way to start the installation, but then you need to tweak them till it's better.

Park on the flatest concrete you can and measure from the center of the fenders wheel arch to the ground. Use this in conjunction with looking at the car visually from a distance. Drive the car some and recheck your measurements.

It will be fine, good luck!
Old 02-01-12, 08:36 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

That's true. Installing the coils all around, they are not gonna be at the same height, the coilover itself. If you want even wheel gap, the right side will tend to need more adjustment to go lower to match with the left side.
Old 02-02-12, 03:51 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Thanks fellas I was starting thing I don't know how to use a tape measure. I think your right the right side is sitting a lil higher than the left so I will adjust the right side a little lower. Thanks again ill let you know how it goes....
Old 02-13-12, 04:51 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

i adjusted again the left and right side look pretty close now..... but i could still be fine tuned a lil bit more.... i will adjust again in a month when i put the 20s on.....
Old 02-15-12, 09:07 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Park on the flatest concrete you can and measure from the center of the fenders wheel arch to the ground.
Also consider measuring from the pinch weld to the ground. Less chance of error there as it's a shorter measurement and you're not trying to guess where the apex of the fender arch is.

Probably best to measure at multiple points, really.

Also...if you want to be really **** about it...you might want to have someone your same weight sit in the car while you make the measurements. Or you sit in the car while someone else measures. this way you've accounted for a driver in the driver's seat - which is pretty important since that's how the car will be laden whenever it's driven.
Old 02-23-12, 12:43 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
The car does not weigh the exact same on each corner. So you may need adjust the car accordingly. Measuring the shock mounting legnth is a proper way to start the installation, but then you need to tweak them till it's better.

Park on the flatest concrete you can and measure from the center of the fenders wheel arch to the ground. Use this in conjunction with looking at the car visually from a distance. Drive the car some and recheck your measurements.

It will be fine, good luck!
yup
Old 04-05-12, 05:21 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna ask this same question.
Good thing I searched.
Old 04-06-12, 01:28 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i am assuming that when you mean 1 lock to the other lock....you mean the lock at the pre-load, and the other lock on the bottom mount (which you can spin to adjust height)?

I agree with everyone above...all four corners of the car don't weigh the same...so there is some change in height if you set the coilovers the same way.

With that being said, if you tightened the pre-load (the locking rings under the springs), you are essentially "compressing" the springs together...thus, shortening the coilovers (as well as shortening the piston travel inside the tube which can lead to early piston seal failure or bottoming out)....regardless the distance between the pre-load lock to the lower mount lock.

Make sure the pre-load springs are the same height...and located approx the same location on the coilover tube (check the amount of threads on the tube inside the springs so they match)... I don't touch it unless its not matching, otherwise I leave it at factory settings....and lower the car using ONLY the lower mounts.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 04-06-12 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 09:40 PM
vlogs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use a measuring tape when you drop or raise the car. i measure from the top 2 perch to the bottom perch..