Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Has anyone recently buy this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 04:13 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
jeebus muderfunken krise... search the whole forum regarding slot/drilled/blank rotors. theres are many threads about them.

all rotors are not created equal. Drilled/slots ebay rotors are not created equal compared to real race quality ones.

to the op, those kits are cheap and geared to people who are looking for an affordable setup. Me personally i wouldnt get a whole package deal since i dont like rocking cheap pads.

its your safety. brakes and tires are cheap insurance. how much do you value your life and the lives of people in the car?
What do you have?Which ones are good?
Old 01-31-12, 10:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well i have

TT calipers,

Brembo blanks (yes blanks.. because it offers more surface area for my pads to grab.. also more material on the rotor so it can absorb more heat without warping as quickly. ) These rotors are directional which means there is a left and a right. the reason why is because it has directional vents to divert air a certain way for maximum cooling on the rotors. most cheap rotors are non directional and there vents are just straight. which means cooling isnt as efficient.

Project Mu Bforce pads. Little better than regular street pads and is silent for the most part.

thought it isnt a BBK the TT offers a lot of stopping power... especially since its 4 piston vs 2.

you can look into R1 Concept rotors (not sure if they are good but check them out) since its a little more affordable compared to brembo/stoptech/dba n those brands

as for pads dont skimp out.

i cant really give recommendations on which pads to get since i havent really used stock calipers ever since owning 2 GS400s but try your best to not skimp out. its a safety thing. ide rather have the person hit you from behind because your brakes are superb versus having to hit the person up front because your brakes didnt hold up.

Just know drill slots will NOT help you in braking. most likely doesnt help you in heat dissipation because of its design. Those ebay rotors started off as blanks and were merely drilled and slotted. True drilled rotors are casted with the holes in mind and properly placed. They just look fancy on our cars. That being said buy with the intention of just going for the looks.

also to those comparing race car rotors being drilled/slots/blanked... you cant really compare those to our iron brakes because they are running a different setup than us.. e.g. Carbon rotors etc. They run a difference compound which generates WAY more heat than us. 2 different areas.

99.9% of us will never get our brakes glowing red so keep that in mind :3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q4OpGCfME

Last edited by vwynn; 01-31-12 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 10:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

oh and im not saying the setup you posted doesnt work. just saying its not the best if youre looking for performance and safety combined.
Old 02-01-12, 04:06 AM
Acer
Lead Lap

Not really looking at them for performance but I am concern on how safe they are.How about these are these any good?I don't see where it says that they are R1 concepts.

Originally Posted by mrjaydm
I just bought a whole set of front and rear blank rotors and ceramic pads from R1 Concepts for 188 shipped. I put them on the other day and the fitment is top notch. I couldn't be happier for the money. My car stops great! Here is a link to the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270887481062...84.m1439.l2649
Old 02-01-12, 05:00 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
well i have

TT calipers,

Brembo blanks (yes blanks.. because it offers more surface area for my pads to grab.. also more material on the rotor so it can absorb more heat without warping as quickly. ) These rotors are directional which means there is a left and a right. the reason why is because it has directional vents to divert air a certain way for maximum cooling on the rotors. most cheap rotors are non directional and there vents are just straight. which means cooling isnt as efficient.

Project Mu Bforce pads. Little better than regular street pads and is silent for the most part.

thought it isnt a BBK the TT offers a lot of stopping power... especially since its 4 piston vs 2.

you can look into R1 Concept rotors (not sure if they are good but check them out) since its a little more affordable compared to brembo/stoptech/dba n those brands

as for pads dont skimp out.

i cant really give recommendations on which pads to get since i havent really used stock calipers ever since owning 2 GS400s but try your best to not skimp out. its a safety thing. ide rather have the person hit you from behind because your brakes are superb versus having to hit the person up front because your brakes didnt hold up.

Just know drill slots will NOT help you in braking. most likely doesnt help you in heat dissipation because of its design. Those ebay rotors started off as blanks and were merely drilled and slotted. True drilled rotors are casted with the holes in mind and properly placed. They just look fancy on our cars. That being said buy with the intention of just going for the looks.

also to those comparing race car rotors being drilled/slots/blanked... you cant really compare those to our iron brakes because they are running a different setup than us.. e.g. Carbon rotors etc. They run a difference compound which generates WAY more heat than us. 2 different areas.

99.9% of us will never get our brakes glowing red so keep that in mind :3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q4OpGCfME
I have a similar setup...
JZA80 caliper, brembo blanks, project mu pads (mostly gone now...have akebono something street performance or something i need to install), braided lines, and some coolaid blue brake fluid.

Stopping distance doesn't change from going to BBK...but it changes the initial grab thus giving the feel like it'll stop with shorter distance.

to the OP>
as others said, don't do it.
not sure why you are changing pads/rotors but don't buy parts just to buy parts. cheap drilled rotors wont resist the heat/cool cycle as well as others. as vwynn said, i would think the fins matter more. see if you can get the rotor resurfaced and look into better more reputable name pads.

and my input on R1... PORKCHOP SANDWICH!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ts-rotors.html
Old 02-01-12, 09:57 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

ok dont go R1 lol.

me personally i wouldnt go with a package deal like that since i dont know what brand/model pads they are offering. im sure it stops but is it good? not sure.

grab yourself some good quality pads like Akebono from your local parts store or Rockauto/Amazon etc and resurface for now.
Old 02-01-12, 03:29 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

Thanks I ended up resurfacing my front rotors at Pepboys and getting DuraLast ceramic brake pads.I will be doing the same for the rears tomorrow. It came out cheaper then the kit on Ebay.