Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Lower Suspension brace
3.23%
Lower Chassis brace
25.81%
Both
70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Tom's rear lower suspension brace or rear lower chassis brace, or both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Default Tom's rear lower suspension brace or rear lower chassis brace, or both?

Hey suspension Guru's. It seems many suggested getting the REAR STB will be most beneficial to assist with handling. In going to Steve's site, there are 2 different kits. IS it one or the other or both? I mean rear UNDERBODY STB, I don't want anything decreasing trunk space. I KNOW how easy the rear swings out and it IS the weak point of the car handling wise bar none.
Old 10-17-02, 10:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,409 Posts

You mean a chassis brace then and not an STB (which braces strut towers).
Old 10-17-02, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i am confused, you mean the 6 pieces suspension brace and the chassis brace?
Old 10-18-02, 01:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Sick,

There are basically three suspension mods (beyond the sways and shocks/springs) that will help the rear swag you've got.

1) Rear Lower Chassis Brace (shaped a little like an 'A' or 'H' depending on your exhaust). Tom's is the one I have, not sure if there are others.

2) Rear Strut Tower Brace - cuts across trunk to connect the rear shock towers. Tom's sells one, Ugo sells one, others.

3) Six link Suspension upgrade - Tom's is the only one I know about.... replaces the short metal braces that firm up the underbody with stiffer braces.

I'm sure some of the JDM folks can chip in with other brands I missed.

Of these three, I would do them in the following order: 3, 1, 2. I don't recall you having your shocks/springs on - and not sure about sways? Would recommend you get both those done first before these three.
Old 10-18-02, 01:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Sick,

There are basically three suspension mods (beyond the sways and shocks/springs) that will help the rear swag you've got.

1) Rear Lower Chassis Brace (shaped a little like an 'A' or 'H' depending on your exhaust). Tom's is the one I have, not sure if there are others.

2) Rear Strut Tower Brace - cuts across trunk to connect the rear shock towers. Tom's sells one, Ugo sells one, others.

3) Six link Suspension upgrade - Tom's is the only one I know about.... replaces the short metal braces that firm up the underbody with stiffer braces.

I'm sure some of the JDM folks can chip in with other brands I missed.

Of these three, I would do them in the following order: 3, 1, 2. I don't recall you having your shocks/springs on - and not sure about sways? Would recommend you get both those done first before these three.
dave, with that order are you saying the 6 piece links are going to give a bigger impact than the lower brace? i will do those eventually, just wanna know ahead
Old 10-18-02, 10:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by rominl

dave, with that order are you saying the 6 piece links are going to give a bigger impact than the lower brace? i will do those eventually, just wanna know ahead
Exactly - yes I am. Of course this is an 'in my opinion' and other's results/opinions may vary. I thought the six link made a much more noticable handling difference compared to the lower brace.
Old 10-18-02, 11:38 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMHO

My experience is only with the 6pc (LSB-LowerSupsensionBraces)and STB-StrutTowerBrace from Toms. I put the STB on first and a month later put the 6pc on. The STB was marginally noticable, although I thought it would be the most improvement When I put the 6pc kit on it was definitely noticable. The rear end tracks much better. This may also be because my 98GS4 has almost 80K miles on it.

If I didn't have the holes in the carpets, I would take the rear STB off and re-sell it.

Haven't put the LCB (A type) on yet because I need to lose the resonators on the exhaust first. Some folks have suggested the LCB is more noticable, or they think it would be. Will report in when I get the LCB in a couple of months.

Next mod is the Daizen front control arm bushings and stock swaybar busings. Still waiting for Steve G and the TRD sways.

So my 2 cents - first 6pc, second LCB, third STB.

Have fun!
Old 10-18-02, 11:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: IMHO

Originally posted by nudderGS400
My experience is only with the 6pc (LSB-LowerSupsensionBraces)and STB-StrutTowerBrace from Toms. I put the STB on first and a month later put the 6pc on. The STB was marginally noticable, although I thought it would be the most improvement When I put the 6pc kit on it was definitely noticable. The rear end tracks much better. This may also be because my 98GS4 has almost 80K miles on it.

If I didn't have the holes in the carpets, I would take the rear STB off and re-sell it.

Haven't put the LCB (A type) on yet because I need to lose the resonators on the exhaust first. Some folks have suggested the LCB is more noticable, or they think it would be. Will report in when I get the LCB in a couple of months.

Next mod is the Daizen front control arm bushings and stock swaybar busings. Still waiting for Steve G and the TRD sways.

So my 2 cents - first 6pc, second LCB, third STB.

Have fun!
Nudder - exactly the same order as I recommended, good to hear some confirmation.

Got any more details on those front control arm bushings you mention? What will putting stock swaybar bushings get you?

Edit - I've also got those big holes in the rear carpet around the RSTB... I'm trying to think of some kind of DIY to make it more attractive or cover them a bit more. Some sort of valence or sock.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-18-02 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 08:32 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Idea?

The sway bar bushings are supposed to decrease the flex that happens from the rubber bushings compressing, making it feel stiffer.

Control arm bushings decrease flex too. Supposed to keep control arms closer to designed path of travel and less 'twisty'. Hoping it will further decrease the steering wander.

www.daizensporttuning.com

BTW - I am not affiliated with them, just a cheap intersting mod IMHO.

How bout a group buy for replacement carpet for the trunk? Seriously, was thinking of using a circular plastic insert, kind of like you see in furniture for cords.

Last edited by nudderGS400; 10-18-02 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 06:00 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nudderGS400
The sway bar bushings are supposed to decrease the flex that happens from the rubber bushings compressing, making it feel stiffer.

Control arm bushings decrease flex too. Supposed to keep control arms closer to designed path of travel and less 'twisty'. Hoping it will further decrease the steering wander.

www.daizensporttuning.com

BTW - I am not affiliated with them, just a cheap intersting mod IMHO.

How bout a group buy for replacement carpet for the trunk? Seriously, was thinking of using a circular plastic insert, kind of like you see in furniture for cords.
Hey nudder, How about a plastic cap so to speak that the 02-05 GS's have that cover the front strut in the engine bay.. IF they made them it would give the rear trunk a cleaner look IMO.. but i don't think they make them.. How long did it take you to install the Daizen sway bar bushings?

T
Old 07-10-06, 06:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Post from 2002
Old 07-13-06, 01:41 PM
TXGS
Driver

I may be showing my age but those iron patches my mum used on my pants when I wore a hole work great. They come in black!
Old 07-13-06, 02:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote would be:

1. 1 or 3
2. 1 or 3 (the one that was not installed in step 1)
3. 2

I did 1, 3, 2. 1 was noticable. Adding 3 was not as night and day and 2 was even less so.
Old 07-19-06, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Neo
My vote would be:

1. 1 or 3
2. 1 or 3 (the one that was not installed in step 1)
3. 2

I did 1, 3, 2. 1 was noticable. Adding 3 was not as night and day and 2 was even less so.
Well I am glad this got bumped

I still got my rear Ugo STB, gotta install.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-06-06 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 01:16 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's an old thread but does this Tom's brace bolt right up to my GS430? http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=444

Also, does TRD make an equivalent?

Quick Reply: Tom's rear lower suspension brace or rear lower chassis brace, or both?