Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RCA Lowering

Old 11-21-11, 05:28 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RCA Lowering

Hi folks, new to the forum and wanted to ask about RCA as a way to lower your 01-05 GS400 as an alternative to coil overs or springs/shocks.

I'm looking for OEM ride quality and have been directed at this method.

First what does RCA stand for?

Next, is anything else needed besides the front/rear RCAs? Or can you use the RCAs with a bone stock suspension with no additional parts?

How about alignment? Do RCA's allow you to dial in the camber?

For a SAGE 30mm RCA, can the stock 17" wheels be used?

Does it put any additional stress on the suspension components?

Oh, and where can this kit be purchased?

30mm seems to be a good compromise for a daily driver.

Any diagrams that show how this is installed would be helpful.

Thanks!
Luke
Old 11-21-11, 07:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php

There are LOTS of good info on this site regarding RCA. This topic comes up quite often.
Old 11-22-11, 04:52 AM
TRBOSQRL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no such thing ,oem has been thrown out,when u started modding your suspension
Old 11-22-11, 02:06 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my understanding, you WILL need coilovers to run rca's. RCA stands for "roll center adjustment." RCA's help correct the alignment when you lower a car, what I mean is that when the car has been lowered the factory camber adjustment can only bring it back so much. Therefore a rca aka camber kit is needed. The front rca is also used when an ls400 caliper is used instead of the stock caliper. The rca offsets the tie rod so that the caliper will fit. The bigger the rca the more stress on the bolts that hold it in place. I have a set that I purchased from figs engineering, but I only went with the minimum requirement to clear the caliper which is 17mm. You can purchase rca's from figs, sage and exact motorsports just to name a few. As far as rims go, I don't know that a 17" will work. I plan to run 19"s so I know I have clearance.
Old 11-22-11, 04:42 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers are not needed to use RCA's. You can use it with your stock suspension. Message PHML on here. I got my 30mm Sage RCA from him.
Old 11-23-11, 06:37 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Really? I thought you did....well that fresh news to me.
Old 11-23-11, 04:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My reply in red...

Pete

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Hi folks, new to the forum and wanted to ask about RCA as a way to lower your 01-05 GS400 as an alternative to coil overs or springs/shocks.

I'm looking for OEM ride quality and have been directed at this method.

First what does RCA stand for? Roll Center Adapter...also known as Super Stroke kit (SS kit) in Japan.

Next, is anything else needed besides the front/rear RCAs? No other parts. To install...hand tools, torque wrench, metric hex socket, loctite...that's it.

Or can you use the RCAs with a bone stock suspension with no additional parts? Yes you can...CK6speed did so with first 30mm front and 30mm rear SAGE RCA kits on bone stock OEM suspension...then he went lower up front with EXACT's 38mm, and then with SAGE's 40mm.

How about alignment? Not necessary, but recommended for that bit of piece of mind.

Do RCA's allow you to dial in the camber? Front...No. Rear....Yes...using camber inserts...you can adjust/add positive camber to offset the negative camber when lowered.

For a SAGE 30mm RCA, can the stock 17" wheels be used? Yes. In fact, you can run 16" wheels with SAGE's 30mm front RCA. If you run SAGE's 40mm front RCA, you will need 17"+ wheels to avoid rubbing the inner barrel.

Does it put any additional stress on the suspension components? No. Lower ball joints and tie rods are maintenance parts that need to be changed regardless if you are running RCA or not.

Oh, and where can this kit be purchased? Check the Classified Section, or PM me, I can help you out.

30mm seems to be a good compromise for a daily driver. That's totally up to you. Some members went with 40mm front and 30mm rear SAGE RCA kit because the front wheel gap for our 2nd Gen GS is larger than the rear wheel gap....so running the 40mm will balance the gap out (again, 17" wheel required to run the 40mm front RCA kit).

Any diagrams that show how this is installed would be helpful? Yes, I have a DIY install guide I put together w/ pics and torque specs.

Thanks!
Luke

Last edited by PHML; 11-23-11 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
n1ck (03-21-18)
Old 11-25-11, 09:53 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Phml, you were right. I installed the rca with no coilovers. It def dropped the front end a bit after the install was done. Another thing that changed was my alignment. It doesn't pull, but my steering wheel is off center now. Nothing to be alarmed by since I will need one after I install my coils. Happy with the turn out.
Old 11-30-11, 11:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aristo123
Phml, you were right. I installed the rca with no coilovers. It def dropped the front end a bit after the install was done. Another thing that changed was my alignment. It doesn't pull, but my steering wheel is off center now. Nothing to be alarmed by since I will need one after I install my coils. Happy with the turn out.
Before and after pics?

Just get an alignment when all is done.

Pete
Old 12-07-11, 10:55 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 09-09-12, 10:54 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about these pics of mine- not too great ... but they're the only ones I have at the moment.

First pic shows what the wheel well gap up front (with some FUGLY 20's, & 245/30 tires) looks like with STOCK suspension, and Sage (30mm) RCA's installed. and...Thanks again for the RCA's, Phil!

Second pic shows "approx" (since my driveway isn't exactly EVEN) how much gap there is on the front (30mm SAGE RCA's) and the back (stock/NOT lowered...yet)
Attached Thumbnails RCA Lowering-dscn1622.jpg   RCA Lowering-025.jpg