Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wobbly Brakes

Old 08-02-11, 06:15 AM
CptBongue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly Brakes

Hello, all. First time poster here

I have a neighbor who has always been a mechanic enthusiast, having 4 collectors cars and having disassembled cars completely.

It came the time to change my brakes, and I decided that under his supervision, it would be a fun task. I myself used to tinker with my cars, albeit much older models than my 2008 IS350, and felt pretty confident I could pull this off.

I bought a pair of ProStop Ceramic Brake pads from PepBoys and had them cut my rotors. 2 hours later (mostly thanks to them being busy that day), I had everything mounted for a test drive

I took the car for some short stops to break the pads in, and noticed some wobbling. Drove it some more, wobbling still there

2 days later, we decided to remove the shims (4 per side), which were on the original pads, tested some more, no glory.

After that, I assumed something went wrong with the cutting of the rotors, so I set out to buy some new rotors. They only had the left rotor in stock, and since I noticed some grooves in the left rotor, I had the right one ordered, but I went ahead and mounted the left one, mostly to try to get my mind off of it.

After mounting, I did notice some improvement, but not 100%. Before the car would shake when I applied the brakes, to the extent that it felt like it was going to fall apart. Now there is some shaking at certain speeds and when applying a certain degree of pressure to the brakes.

I don't know whether it could be the remaining rotor, which should be delivered by Thursday. I've mounted and dismounted the brakes several times, and am pretty certain I've done nothing wrong, but I wanted to check in with you to see if I'm missing a step.

My plan is to mount the right rotor on thursday and if that doesn't work, remount the old brake pads.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-11, 06:46 AM
CptBongue
Driver School Candidate

I seem to have posted this to the wrong IS thread. It should be in the 2006+ IS models section.

Feel free to reply. moderators feel free to move.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-11, 12:51 PM
CptBongue
Driver School Candidate

... cricket ...

Anyway, I solved my problem by changing the rotors. Turns out they messed them up when cutting them