RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brakes AND rotors?

Old 11-20-15, 08:42 PM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes AND rotors?

I have 21k on my RCF. I have complained about the brakes (squeeking and dust) since first service. So, they should have checked my brakes every time I went in. Just took it in for 20k service and my brake pads are at 4 and have worn the rotors down,,,? So $1,500+ for front only pads and new rotors. They told me that the RCF's need rotors every time you change the brake pads!. I questioned that and am now being told that they can machine them one time but next time will need rotors. Any input? Has anyone changed brakes out for usage and not just for the tsb?

Also, I saw the thread here with the tsb on replacement brake pads and have asked them to apply that to me. Sure appreciate you all here! Hope the tsb works for me!

Last edited by KimberlyT; 11-20-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

rotor is all about wear, if it's worn enough then you can't surface. with brembo brakes, it is more easily the case that the rotors are worn past spec but i wouldn't say always
Old 11-20-15, 09:37 PM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

I just don't understand why if I have asked for my brakes to be checked every single visit, that the wear could be into the rotors? (my car has been in the shop probably 2 months of the 12 I've owned it)
Old 11-21-15, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

not sure if i understand your question. depending on how much you brake and how aggressive the pads are, it can eat into the rotors pretty good. and it has nothing to do with how much they check on it
Old 11-21-15, 10:50 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

You need a caliper to measure your rotors for wear. They have the minimum thickness stamped somewhere there. The way you can tell if they're worn badly is by running your fingernail from the middle of the rotor to the outside. If you feel a 'bump', meaning the brake pads have made a ridge on the rotor, there's definitely wear. If it's about 1mm, then you're probably close to replacement thickness.

Finally, there're many reasons you can cause excessive wear on your brakes, like living in a hill, and being on the brakes all the time when going down. Stuff like that. In those instances, it helps big time to use the engine for braking. Put tranny in manual, and instead of coasting in 8th with your brakes, leave it in 2nd (or whatever appropriate to maintain speed) and minimize brake usage. If you don't track your car, you definitely need less aggressive pads, so the optional ceramic ones would be much better suited for you. Good luck.
Old 11-22-15, 05:18 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

That's really low mileage for needing rotors replaced. Do you live in San Fran? I could possibly understand it if you did. With that said, the RCF has brake pad sensors that warn you when the pads are worn......did you warp a rotor, which can come from driving it in a deep puddle when the brakes were very hot?
Old 11-22-15, 05:31 AM
drjrg
Driver School Candidate

I just got back from my 10K service. Mentioned the brakes again for the third time. I am actually finding myself driving one of my other cars due to the squealing being so annoying. I have a Ferrari California with CCM Brembos that do not squeal like this bad.
Service rep said the squealing is normal ( again) but I do remember seeing something about a TSB where Lexus is finally realizing they have a problem and replacing them.My rep did not mention it and I did not push it.
Can someone post the TSB and any pertinent information? Thank you!
Old 11-22-15, 05:39 AM
drjrg
Driver School Candidate

Just saw this on another thread. Will be calling tomorrow

L-sb-0054-15
Old 11-22-15, 06:51 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Be aware when you get the report after service from dealership, my brake pad on my IS were over half the thickness left at 10K service; then after 2,900 miles both full rotors had been worn and need to be replace. I didn't race or bring it to track, driving the same route daily to work...

Dealer's explain is: brake pad will worn out much quicker after half thickness

I don't want to argue much and since it had to be replaced anyways~

If the pad isn't worn out and damage the rotors I don't think it needed to be replace after just 21K or every time when you replace the pad... unless you always race the car

Since I don't have a RCF I can't say much, but I think all car should be the same?

Just pay attention to your pad level in the future, don't trust the dealer measurement that much, I also complain about brake noise every time when get in dealer for service, but every time the brake is fine
Old 11-22-15, 10:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Sometimes it's cheaper to learn some basic 101 on car maintenance...

Visual inspection on pads is easy.. PLUS the RC F comes with electronic wear sensors / indicators..
The car tells you when the pads have reached their minimum operating spec.

Also as mentioned each rotor has a minimum thickness engraved on them by Brembo.
The rotor can easily be checked with a sliding mm caliper..

Most dealerships will sell you a Pen if they could..!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-22-15 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-22-15, 12:25 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't know if it's relative. There's an RCF USB on off lease dealer in Florida . That was a Lexus buyback because of excessive brake noise . Checked the vin on Lexus drivers and it has brake noise squealing in all its time at dealership.
Old 11-23-15, 07:07 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They did one for the older Gen IS as well, but you may want to do some research on the new brakes, on the previous one I know they try to reduce the noise and dust by switching to a less performance pad, won't be noticeable difference that's for sure, but dealer won't say anything to you

Did you brakes keep having load noise even just came out from car wash?
Old 11-23-15, 08:22 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Where's the Guy on here that took his back & got his Re-placed for FREE & Now No Squeal & No Dust!
Old 11-23-15, 10:47 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Where's the Guy on here that took his back & got his Re-placed for FREE & Now No Squeal & No Dust!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-oem-pads.html
Old 11-24-15, 06:06 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks ba2sy, WHERE's RCFun at when we Need him? I Still find it Hard to Believe that these Re-placement Pads Stopped that Horrible Brake Dust, Squealing i could maybe see them Helping but my Dealership told me they Shouldn't have Anything to do with the Brake Dust Issues!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes AND rotors?