Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaking Problem with New Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 02:17 PM
apdimitri
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Squeaking Problem with New Brake Pads and Rotors

I recently purchased and installed a new set of front rotors and pads for my 2007 IS350. Ever since installation I have been getting a VERY loud squeal when I apply the brakes. It only happens when the brakes are applied at half force. I don't know what the problem could be since I have changed them multiple times since buying the car and this is the first time this has happened. If it makes any difference, I purchased the "Low Dust" brake pads instead of the "High Friction" option from sewell. I figured maybe it was because the pads and rotors are new that it might take a while to break them in but it has been nearly a month and the noise hasn't gone away.
Old 09-06-13, 04:40 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed these steps and my brakes are as quiet as ever (EBC Redstuff with Adam's Slotted Rotors). I do not know if different steps need to be taken for different pads/rotors:

To bed them in properly, you need to first drive on them normally for 500 miles (and put up with the squeal). After you reach that point, find a safe, straight stretch of road with no traffic. Get your car to 60mph, then slam on the brakes until you hit about 10mph. Do this a few times until you notice that the brakes are overheating. As you are doing it do NOT fully stop the car or else you could leave a burn spot on your rotor. Drive around slowly for a little to cool the brakes off before you stop.
Old 09-06-13, 06:15 PM
jeo0218
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problema until i switched two ceramic brake pads. once installed them the squeal went away
Old 09-07-13, 06:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just checking but you put anti squeal grease on the pads and shims right
Old 09-07-13, 11:27 PM
apdimitri
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg0126
I followed these steps and my brakes are as quiet as ever (EBC Redstuff with Adam's Slotted Rotors). I do not know if different steps need to be taken for different pads/rotors:

To bed them in properly, you need to first drive on them normally for 500 miles (and put up with the squeal). After you reach that point, find a safe, straight stretch of road with no traffic. Get your car to 60mph, then slam on the brakes until you hit about 10mph. Do this a few times until you notice that the brakes are overheating. As you are doing it do NOT fully stop the car or else you could leave a burn spot on your rotor. Drive around slowly for a little to cool the brakes off before you stop.
I will definitely give that a try.Thanks!

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just checking but you put anti squeal grease on the pads and shims right
now that I think about it......I think I might have forgot.
Old 09-08-13, 06:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea youll need that grease