Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Wheel Vibrates When Braking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 08:34 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibrates When Braking!!!

hi guys,

i'm wondering what the heck is going on with my car. when i'm braking, i notice that my steering wheel vibrates. the harder i brake, the harder it vibrates. i don't know what the heck is wrong with it. do i have an air bubble in my brake lines? i have no idea. please help.

oh yeah, my brake feels kinda spongy tite when i press it.
Old 08-24-02, 09:34 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Warp front rotor. Need to resurface the rotor and possibly change the brake pads also.

Chu...
Old 08-24-02, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by ChuH
Warp front rotor. Need to resurface the rotor and possibly change the brake pads also.

Chu...
yup, warpped rotors, get it fixed
Old 08-25-02, 02:10 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info guys.

my brakes were last inspected around 2 months ago at the dealer and they said the pads are about 90% new. but i do notice that the front rotors look scratched up but the rears are as smooth as a baby's a$$. so i'm thinking it might be just the front rotors?
Old 08-25-02, 02:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
thanks for the info guys.

my brakes were last inspected around 2 months ago at the dealer and they said the pads are about 90% new. but i do notice that the front rotors look scratched up but the rears are as smooth as a baby's a$$. so i'm thinking it might be just the front rotors?
most of the time warp rotors only appear on the front since they do more than 80% of the braking
Old 08-25-02, 07:35 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

GSquiksilver, it can be your balance. Tried getting your tires rebalance first. That happened to me before.

tommy
Old 08-25-02, 11:20 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates When Braking!!!

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
hi guys,

i'm wondering what the heck is going on with my car. when i'm braking, i notice that my steering wheel vibrates. the harder i brake, the harder it vibrates. i don't know what the heck is wrong with it. do i have an air bubble in my brake lines? i have no idea. please help.

oh yeah, my brake feels kinda spongy tite when i press it.
If the rotors are warped, then you should feel the vibration in the brake pedal as well. Let a mechanic do an inspection...
Old 08-26-02, 11:18 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

yup, i do feel it in the brake pedal as well. thanks for all the input guys. i'm gonna get it done today after work.
Old 08-26-02, 12:13 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like warped rotors...I would NOT resurface them, but suggest that you replace them. Turning them will only do so much and with the removal or more material, they will warp even easier after...Resurfacing is not the solution for warped rotors
Old 08-27-02, 10:00 AM
kuruption213
Pole Position

i have this same problem, i got my rotors replaced last year and have recently noticed the shaking again. i don't think i should have to have my rotors replaced again, hopefully it just needs the resurfacing or balancing.
Old 08-27-02, 11:02 AM
oldguy
Driver

Sounds most likely as rotor warp. Probably front only. I've had rotors resurfaced (not on my GS) with success. I found a shop where they would only take off as much as needed to make them smooth, usually not much.
Read a paper in the SAE (society of american engineers) magazine "Automotive Engineering" that said the warping problem is not from heat per se, but rather from the non-uniform cooling. That is, keeping the brakes on at a long light after a hard stop causes the rotor to not cool at all places at the same rate. They suggest getting off the brake or letting the car creep a little so no spot sits against the brake pads very long. Someone having recurring trouble with this might want to try this.
Old 08-27-02, 01:45 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

what do you all think, back in january i had my pads replaced and rotors resurfaced and now the problem has come back. i had the work done at the lexus dealer ship do you think i have a right to complain that this is already a problem after just 9 months of driving?
Old 08-28-02, 01:50 PM
oldguy
Driver

It is my understanding that work done at Lexus has a warranty
Old 08-28-02, 04:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

kuruption213 - Don't know how far you will get with Lexus, I think we all know it depends on your relationship with that dealer, but nine months might be a bit long to say it was some defect with the parts they provided. Back in the good old days when cars were just starting to get front disk brakes, the first set of rotors I ever trashed was on a race car by pulling in off the track and going through a puddle that was deeper than I thought. Cracked a couple of welds on the exhaust pipes, no big deal, and warped four rotors, a big deal. Cooling uniformity is a big deal and one of those things that may not have anything to do with the quality of the parts. In my case, those rotors were trash as they warped beyond where they could be cleaned up with machining. Having said that, the rotors on the GS don't seem to be anywhere near the problem as they were on the bimmers. Not sure the exact reasons other than that marvelous suspension is very sensitive to out of balance components but it seems like all I remember was going in for either out of balance wheels or warped rotors once a quarter.
Old 08-30-02, 01:21 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

finally got my rotors done!!!!! woohoo! so far so good. i have to try them out on the freeway tomorrow. crossing my fingers....

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibrates When Braking!!!