Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Seeking Air ride advice, with a few questions for those who have them equipped.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 07:16 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seeking Air ride advice, with a few questions for those who have them equipped.

Good Morning CL,

So lately I've been considering lowering my car, I've been against it for so long but after doing some cosmetic upgrades to the outside I think its about time.

Just some background;
So I've owned Hondas and Acuras since I was 15, I've dropped all my cars using springs and various different types of coilovers, I've driven cars slammed all year round when I lived up north when it snows, Im very capable of driving a lowered car.

With my baby I'm looking to do the same, except going with a different route and equipping her with an air ride suspension. I love the way the stock ride height feels and am hoping to stay some what close to that ride quality, very soft.

So I don't know a single thing about air ride, I don't know which ones are good, reliable, and more then anything comfortable ride (at a raised height) I don't plan on driving around the city all the time slammed, But its possible when I get bored... My main thing is to have that slammed look parked or at local meets/shows. And then go back to regular height when driving on my long commutes...

Is there such an air ride that'll give me that slammed look, but still provide that OEM soft ride when raised all the way back up? Also for those with experience with air ride please list which ones are formost; reliable, installation friendly, and more then anything comfortable.

Sorry for the wall of text
Old 01-05-11, 07:07 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are looking for air suspension. Try Air Runner Systems.
Old 01-06-11, 09:15 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
You are looking for air suspension. Try Air Runner Systems.
Okay thanks, thats a good start. Has anybody experienced a downside of air ride versus full sleeve coilovers? I'm used to installing coils on all my rides but hated the idea of having to go back under the car to raise it back up during certain conditions, this way I'm hoping is my best route to get that look and feel that every tuner inside has.
Old 01-06-11, 09:58 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

theres pros and cons to both. An air ride system is only as good as its maintained in my book. Ive had air ride on my old DD for 3yrs. If you get air ride, make sure you empty the tank on a regular basis (once a month) as water builds up in the tank. You can get a water trap to help prevent water in the tank but you'll still get some. Also a good cleaning of the valves doesnt hurt to make sure theres no debris on there. I use to do it about twice a year.

Keep in mind no suspension will ride as good as a stock oem suspension. you can come close but it will always be different. how different is subjective to the person. AR makes a great kit.
Old 01-10-11, 07:01 AM
MxChase
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you looked into the ksport pro air suspension?? I'm wanting to get an IS350 and looked at this too. Looks like a pretty legit kit.
Old 01-10-11, 07:31 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ksports a very nice kit
Old 01-10-11, 08:33 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is an air ride thread. There are about 5-6 guys on there with IS's. They would be a good resource to ask. Dump that Bish!!
Old 05-16-12, 08:29 AM
boostfiend
Driver School Candidate

This guy asked all the question i had
Old 05-19-12, 05:43 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

air ride would def suit your needs. i would get it if it wasn't so expensive
Old 05-19-12, 10:32 PM
kams229
Pole Position

I'm running Ksport for about two years now no problem except I blew a bag for ridding it to low my tire was rubbing the bag and ate a hole through it. With the new bags I ordered seems to b more clearance how or why i don't know but does rub anymore