VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Air ride with passengers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 07:26 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air ride with passengers?

In the next few months I plan on installing the Ksport Airtech pro system on my gs300. I tried searching but never found an answer but when running air ride, how much do passengers affect the ride? I would imagine that you would have to have higher pressure with the extra weight. Does that make the ride more bouncy? Sorry for the noob question. This would be my first air setup. Thanks
Old 11-10-10, 10:40 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just based off of my incredibly limited knowledge of pneumatics, lets see if I can help...

how much do passengers affect the ride?
What happens when you add more weight to any sort of suspension, spring, airbag, etc? You rebound slower, the (vertical) motion of the car will be delayed some.

If you are looking to maintain the ride height of just you in the car, with people in it, you will have to adjust the pressures to make up for it. This, in my head, shouldn't affect the bounciness all that much, as it will probably not take much pressure, distributed on the corner(s) of the passenger(s) to correct the extra dip the extra weight caused.

Sorry for the noob answer, I'm just going with what sounds right in my head
Old 11-10-10, 10:45 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

ive never had bags on a car, but have on my yukon and when carrying weight or people, i had to air up more to remain level. that made the ride a lil stiffer but not more bouncy, may be different on a car as mine was custom, not bolt on.
Old 11-14-10, 04:49 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

I have an answer.
And that answer is yes for both. You have to increase the pressure to make up for the weight and it is also a bit more bouncy. I actually bottom out when I have a loaded car and i hit a dip on the freeway fast enough.

Am running Air-runner
Old 11-17-10, 11:13 AM
Rodneyc77
Driver

Just install height sensor from Dakota Digital or Acuair and the car will adjust the pressure automatically for the extra weight of the car...

Did you know that riding on a full tank of gas vs. an empty tank will also affect the pressure and how it rides... I think it rides smoother with extra weight... I also have Air Runner...
Old 11-17-10, 05:13 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ride quality doesnt change to much with passengers + more air.... I had ksport air and took my family (4 peeps including me + luggage and boxes) from socal to norcal in my bagged GS. everything felt fine
Old 11-21-10, 11:50 AM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input. I plan on installing the Ksport airtech pro kit.
Old 11-21-10, 03:09 PM
areukhmer
Lexus Test Driver

yup as everyone said u need to add more pressure....but IMO every air system need to have a good air management such Accu Air with height sensor make everything so much easier.
Old 11-23-10, 11:44 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The more psi in each shock the higher spring rate just like a normal coiled spring .
The longer the hose and bigger the diameter of it the more surface area for the air to compress ad expand.
All things taken into account , height sensors are nice but they are not the glory that some make it out to be. You need to be able to understand what is in your car and the physics behind how it works to get the best possible riding setup.
If the rear shocks are inflated higher but adding weight makes them feel smoother , it is because the shocks are at max height already and the bag is at full extension. By having more weight it is now being allowed to float more as it cannot top out .

BTW I love the new looking accu air system but for $2000 retail for a new company they are out of there mind . Also it can look slick all it wants especially for the price point it is completely useless for anyone who lives anywhere near where water can freeze . It has no display to check pressures ,even for the tank , if a valve is frozen or a line how would you know ? When your compressor catches on fire from being overloaded for an hour . ( exaggeration )
Old 11-25-10, 04:51 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Their latest manifold has another set of ports to allow for pressure sensors so you don't have to tee them in.
I think not at least having a pressure 'display' is a miss on their part as well.
I don't have a roblems with their pricing. It's a much better quality setup than pretty much anything else on the market.
From all the sites I have visited I have never read one 'reliable' complaint from anyone running their systems. The only complaint I read was from someone who still thinks carburetors are the way to go = not reliable.