Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-02, 12:08 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN Questions

Hey gang,

I am ready to get some TEIN's and don't really want to drop the price for FLEX. I don't mind a little bounce here and there, but will the HA's really be rough? Will they ride worse than H&R springs?

I spoke with Steve G. and the pricing on HA's are pretty affordable (still near 1k, however.)

What are your thoughts on the CS versus the HA?

Thanks for the help!

--
Old 07-13-02, 12:28 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA will be stiffer than the HR springs...not sure which shock you plan to put on with the HR springs..if you opt for HR+bilsteins(~$700-725 parts only), might as well get the HA for its adjustibility..but then, again, dpedns on your tolerance for ride quality and lowering requirement..

HA and CS is completely different story, both on stiffness and price...for under $1k, HA is great...i would probably get the Flex over the CS since flex is newer model and cheaper..
Old 07-13-02, 01:00 PM
Synergy

Great feedback gs4will, thanks.

So I just need to see if I can tollerate the HA's. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the HA ride quality? I want to have a low stance, but also don't want to have a sore back...

--
Old 07-13-02, 01:26 PM
RacingAristo

Do a search on TEIN HA. I wrote a full review on TEIN HA before when Mike Kilty was the owner of this site.
Old 07-13-02, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
Great feedback gs4will, thanks.

So I just need to see if I can tollerate the HA's. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the HA ride quality? I want to have a low stance, but also don't want to have a sore back...

--
hey man we are looking at the same stuff now! i am considering between the HA, CS, and Flex too. anyone in the bay area who can let us ride in your car with HA or CS? i really want to try it out before making the call. Synergy you wanna join?

also, Synergy, are you going to install it yourself or what? hit me up with pm, maybe we can get them installed together for cheaper.
Old 07-13-02, 02:48 PM
buckwild
Driver School Candidate

SYNERGY,BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING YOU BETTER CONSIDER WHAT RIMS AND TIRES YOURE GOIN TO RUN.THATS WHAT WILL DETERMIN YOUR RIDE ASWELL.SO IN SHORT YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE WHOLE EGUATION AND NOT JUST THE COST.WHEN I DID MY RESEARCH I FOUND L-SPORTLINE WITH BILSTIEN SHOCKS TO BE BETTER.AND I ALSO FOUND THAT THE TIENS RATTLED WHEN I DROVE MY FRIENDS GS.AND TO COMPLETE THE SCIENCE PROJECT THE INSTALLER WAS THE SAME PERSON SO IT HAD TO BE THE PRODUCT!!!!!(JUST MY 2 CENTS)NOT TO MENTION IVE BEEN RUNNING THE L-SPORTS FOR ALMOST 3YEARS ADJUSTED ALL THE WAY DOWN AND ALL I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IS MY BODYKIT
Old 07-13-02, 04:32 PM
RacingAristo

stop using all capital letters. Thank you.
Old 07-14-02, 04:32 AM
pot_head
Driver

Originally posted by buckwild
.AND I ALSO FOUND THAT THE TIENS RATTLED WHEN I DROVE MY FRIENDS GS.AND TO COMPLETE THE SCIENCE PROJECT THE INSTALLER WAS THE SAME PERSON SO IT HAD TO BE THE PRODUCT!!!!!
ya a local shop told me most coilovers do rattle a little bit or at least make a sound when going over 'some' bumps. any truth in this??? im also considering tien coilovers to replace my l-sportlines for the gs400....
Old 07-14-02, 09:01 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by pot_head

ya a local shop told me most coilovers do rattle a little bit or at least make a sound when going over 'some' bumps. any truth in this??? im also considering tien coilovers to replace my l-sportlines for the gs400....
doesn't happen on my TEIN HA. I've owned TEIN HA for more than 2 years on different vehicles.
Old 07-14-02, 09:02 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gs4will
HA is great...i would probably get the Flex over the CS since flex is newer model and cheaper..
Flex is newer and more expensive that the CS.
Old 07-14-02, 03:16 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

The ride on the HA's are certainly more firm than stock -- definitely not a Lexus ride. My HA's don't rattle, but a lot of other things on my car do.
Old 07-14-02, 03:37 PM
Synergy

Hey rominl & redgs4 - we should hook up for lunch sometime soon and chat about the HA's. I am in San Jose and I know that redgs4 is in Fremont. I am ready to order the HA's and if rominl and I order together maybe we can get a price break?

I am planning to have John install them in Milpitas for about $200.

As for the whole package - I am planning to get 19's or 20's after I obtain the drop. The reason why I am steering away from spring setup (H&R / LSprotsline, etc) is because I HATE WHEEL WELL GAP, and 1.5 inches is cheese in my book. I want to drop the car and eliminate the gap.

So if the ride is a bit rough, then so be it. I would love to hear more feedback about users who have the HA setup. Rattles concern me a bit, so let's get some sort of concensus here.

I have read many threads about the HA's and haven't heard too many nagative remarks. FLEX seems a bit pricey...

--
Old 07-14-02, 06:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
Hey rominl & redgs4 - we should hook up for lunch sometime soon and chat about the HA's. I am in San Jose and I know that redgs4 is in Fremont. I am ready to order the HA's and if rominl and I order together maybe we can get a price break?

I am planning to have John install them in Milpitas for about $200.

As for the whole package - I am planning to get 19's or 20's after I obtain the drop. The reason why I am steering away from spring setup (H&R / LSprotsline, etc) is because I HATE WHEEL WELL GAP, and 1.5 inches is cheese in my book. I want to drop the car and eliminate the gap.

So if the ride is a bit rough, then so be it. I would love to hear more feedback about users who have the HA setup. Rattles concern me a bit, so let's get some sort of concensus here.

I have read many threads about the HA's and haven't heard too many nagative remarks. FLEX seems a bit pricey...

--
i am in san jose / sunnyvale so hook me up too. i would go. very true that i don't really like wheel gap, so i want coilover. plus the price of coilover seriously isn't that much more than a good spring / shock combo, so why not?

i will put on 19 very soon on the gs4 too, so i need to lower the car soon as well
Old 07-16-02, 05:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had HA's and I got rid of them...to stiff for my taste. Then I got H&R's and loved them but I need it to be lower (which H&R actually fixed with new rear springs) and I had a fallout with H&R. My new FLEX work fine. A little bit stiffer than my H&R's but I'm still trying to find a good setting for the dampening...I'm going to run 0/0 for while and see how that goes.

The FLEX is $1560 retail, the CS is $1500 retail.

While the HA's are more affordable, if you want a better ride on some affordable coilovers, try the Bilstein's or the even better (for ride), the APEXi WS.

I am trying to get a deal on the WS for ClubLexus members but both me and my buddy at APEX have been having a hard time getting a schedule together to meet or chat....

As for the rattling...I think you guys are confusing the Skunk2 fake-coilovers on a Honda CX with the Tein's...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-16-02 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 09:18 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Manaray, how much do the Bilstein Coilovers or the Apex Coilovers run. Is the ride closer to stock with those than the Tein and are they adjustable. Thanks

Quick Reply: TEIN Questions