Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Toms or Tein Flex ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 11:50 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toms or Tein Flex ?

Calling all the gurus (Manaray , GS4WILL )

I am set to buy one of these but i am not sure which one to buy. I won't drop my car crazy so the Tom's drop should suffice. Should look good with my 18's.

The Tein Flex i beleive rides rougher than the Tom's . Not sure though ?

The EDFC imho is a gimmick . It's probably fun to play with at first but its useless once you find the dampening setting you like and you just leave it there . Besides , it takes less than an hr. to change it manually.

I was all set to buy the Tom's until the Flex came out . Now i'm not sure which one to buy. Maybe i should buy the CS ?

Main thing , which one gives me the best ride quality ?

Is the Tom's install instructions in English ?

The Flex comes with pillowball mounts ? Whats the purpose of these ?

This is one tough decision .
Old 06-28-02, 01:39 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

If I recall, Andy is the only one with the TOMs Audvox. Hopefully he can give you his personal impressions.

Tein vs. TOMs depends on your driving. If you can afford the TOMs, and don't take it to the track, IMO the TOMs would be better all around between comfort vs perf.
Old 06-30-02, 03:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The EDFC has it's pros...for me, it was not worth loosing my STB's for it (since my UGO STB's would not accommodate the EDFC servos)

As for the TOM'S Advox, there are two different ones for the JZS161...there is the standard ADVOX and the ADVOX SPORT. The ADVOX SPORT is more track oriented...the regular ADVOX is geared more for street...

TOM'S also has the standard Advox for the JZS147 GS's (Link13/SoCalSC4...are you guys reading this? )

Here are the list prices for either car...

Price: $3350.00 (Advox) $2580.00 (Advox Sport - for JZS161 only)

IMO, the Tein FLEX do ride a bit stiffer than the TOM'S Advox but honestly, for the tremendous price difference (over 2x the cost), I honestly can't justify buying the TOM'S Advox over the Tein FLEX.

IMO, there just isn't enough benefit in the Advox to justify that much of a price difference...and we all know how I feel about TOM'S products!

As for the diff. between the CS and the FLEX, the CS will give a softer ride...but the Advox will be softer still...if you can justify the price, then I KNOW that you will be getting a quality product with the Advox...also, depending on how low you want to go, you might want to consider the L-Tuned setup if near stock ride quality is important...

Last edited by Manaray; 06-30-02 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-04-02, 09:07 AM
NateInJapan
Rookie

Thumbs up

I have the Tein Suspension on my Aristo with 18's and low profile tires. The ride is bumpy- but handling is tight.

Nate
Old 07-04-02, 11:58 AM
RacingAristo

Didn't know we have another member from Japan. Welcome to the board.
Old 07-04-02, 02:38 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey nate, welcome! you can bet we are all jelous of your turbo engine! tell your v300 friends about clublexus! would be really nice to have more guys from japan on here! give us quick inside information!

where did SOARISTO go?

hey nate have you ever been to watch drifting in the mountains? is it really awsome?
Old 07-04-02, 02:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you drift your GS? i noticed one of your interestes were drifting.. how does the turbo engine and bigger wheels allow the GS to drift? thanks in advance.