Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

made myself bushings &my complete suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 06:48 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well now that i got the LCA's done, its time to get the uppers done, and then starting the rear. gonna have about a weekend full of downtime for my SC. heres a pic of how many bushings i got so far, made extras just in case, probably make a few extra sets for my friends. also picked up some used megan rear toe rods, it was amazing to see how their material was rusting so easily, so i "remanufactured" them. lucky enough the pillow ***** are all tight and secure, as well as the ball joints.

Old 06-04-10, 06:46 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

getting installed

Old 06-05-10, 04:05 AM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good. Let us know how she rides After
Old 06-05-10, 06:18 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

awsome stuff! I wish I had a fancy machine and the know how to do this stuff
Old 06-05-10, 06:27 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

well everything is a PIA honestly, even though i only got to replace my LCA bushings with my delrin ones which ill be testing them for the mean time and hope for the best. replacing my entire LCA was a good choice as when i was taking them out, i noticed my ball joint boot was ripped and the actual ball joint had some gnarly play. i was hoping they were all fine though so i could have an extra set of LCA with new bushings in them, ready to go.
i also replaced my rear toe arms, everything else stayed the same because they still felt good.

i honestly just think of saving up and getting some Ikeya Formula arms or jic's, for now, everything still seems firm, so theres no need to waste my time right now for something that isn't that beneficial.

next progress post will probably just my word about how the delrins have been holding up/running.

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-05-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 06:49 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool DIY man. Now we can buy a kit from you.
Old 06-05-10, 08:08 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fenderub

im glad you pointed that out matt, i really have to consider what you said, but best to my knowledge is our front control arms [upper &lower] only swing in 1 axis.
Thats what I thought too, but the only thing that I can think of is... well think about the simple concentric bolts that change the LCA alignment, say if one is adjusted towards the center of the car and the other is outwards, would there be stress on the arm? or would it be nullified here?
Old 06-05-10, 09:34 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Thats what I thought too, but the only thing that I can think of is... well think about the simple concentric bolts that change the LCA alignment, say if one is adjusted towards the center of the car and the other is outwards, would there be stress on the arm? or would it be nullified here?
the stress would be on the mounts, the bushings, and the LCA itself. never the less, theyre on the car now, and well see how long they will last. i'll continuously check on them.

if they do end up giving up, i have a set of daizen lowers i can swap.
once you get the factory rubber busing out, swapping in and out bushings is soo much easier.
Old 06-06-10, 12:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am thinking this is going somewhere. I really like the idea of you taking the time and pictures and sharing this idea with the other fellow SC memebers. Great DIY, and lets see how thery hold up in a year or so.

You are so right, once those OEM ones are gone, life is much easier.
Old 06-06-10, 02:52 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

thanks 1992lexus

heres a helpful hint for people who bought kits that needs to REUSE the factory inner sleeves.
procedure:
1) get the sleeve out, itll have rubber on it cause the mount will break and rip apart. if its not already.

2) get some wd-40 or some flammable fluid. and spray it on the rubber on the inner sleeve, to help de-naturize the rubber during the burning process.

3) get a torch and touch the flame onto the rubber, go around pretty evenly. itll start drying up and the rubber will begin to glow orange and crack like elephant skin, once that starts happening, make sure everywhere gets hit like that. thicker rubber areas wil have to be given more time under the fire.

4) once its all done, you can scrape all the rubber of, should be easy, repeat the process if it didnt get all of it.

now just cause i like things clean and smooth, i went ahead and spun it on a lathe with a file. if you dont have access to that, maybe you can just turn it around in some sand paper.

heres how it turned out:

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-06-10 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 03:56 PM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

bummer its not easier to do all the bushings...
Old 06-06-10, 04:08 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

nice can you make power steering bushings lol for the sc400s?
Old 06-06-10, 07:52 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigWaveSC
bummer its not easier to do all the bushings...
seriously, but after learning a few tricks with my old LCAs, its not all that hard anymore.

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj
nice can you make power steering bushings lol for the sc400s?
sc300/sc400 are the same, i probably will be making some for flptrix since hes been nagging me about them, haha and that certainly shouldnt have any issues because theres not too much stress there compared to the FLCAs.

well i tried the trick for inner sleeve removal instead of just taking out the rubber when you already have the sleeve out!

the solution

spray it on the inner sleeve that touches the rubber.

burn it good, keep the torch on it like i said a few minutes after it stats to become wrinkled liek elephant skin. you might wanna flip it over and do the same for the other side. then hammer it out, i got a socket thats smaller than the diameter of the inner sleeve but not small enough to go through; presto it comes out!

i got my rear bushings from diazen, im currently selling them though. i decided just to get some aftermarket rods/arms instead.

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-06-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 05:31 AM
NineTreSc3
Driver

Niiiiice! Pics are awesome and you've definately got some skill. The "refurbished" toe arms looks awesome haha. like how the color matches the rest of the suspension. Looks great

Last edited by NineTreSc3; 06-07-10 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 08:31 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey do u think u cna make me some too . just curious pm me i want to talk

Quick Reply: made myself bushings &my complete suspension overhaul