Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers + winter = BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 09:09 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilovers + winter = BAD?

I was wondering if winter driving with coilovers will cause the collars to seize, thereby making height adjusting difficult? Those that have gone driving in the snow, what are you opinions on this? Any problems with your coils? I'm interested in knowing since I just upgraded my suspension from Eibach Prokit to JIC FLT-TARs.

Do you guys raise your travel height up during the winters and then lower it in the spring? Coilovers are new to me, so I just want to become more knowledgeable on it.
Old 04-01-10, 09:47 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just gonna start a thread on this, I'm curious about this too.
Old 04-02-10, 07:54 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

On my previous cars I've had a couple of sets of coilover seizing up on me over the winter making it harder to adjust then eventually it was fully stuck so I ended up getting another set, but what i'm trying this year is to wrap up the coilover where the threads are with plastic and then wrapping it with duck tape to prevent most of the water/dirt/salt. I'm tempted to try these next winter.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...20Over%20Cover
Old 04-02-10, 08:31 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

I just went through one of the worst winters here with my BC Racing coilovers and no problems. I was just adjusting my ride height the other day for my 20's, no locking at all.

I would cover them if you are worried about it, pretty easy fix.

I keep my ride height the same year round too. If there's so much snow on the ground that my ride height will effect my driving, I wouldn't be out on the road anyway. Usually after the plows do their job its drivable within a day at max.

Not worth getting a new alignment twice a year in my book.
Old 04-02-10, 08:46 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

I have a set of BC coils on my AWD and went through the winter in Toronto no problem. Adjustment rings did not seize.

Oliver, did you install your coils at speedstar?
Old 04-02-10, 11:05 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good bit of advice if you drive through salt and stuff is to make sure you coat your threads will anti-seize or a light coat of grease before you adjust them, that way the threads are proected where they meet the adjustment rings.
Old 04-02-10, 07:40 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

im threw my second winter with my coilover but before i adjust them i spray the sleeve with wd40 and use a brush to take the dirt off and then i adjust it back down for the summer
Old 04-02-10, 09:36 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by datplayaz
plastic and then wrapping it with duck tape to prevent most of the water/dirt/salt.
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I would cover them if you are worried about it, pretty easy fix.
Could you wrap it in plastic cellophane? Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by pchan0
I have a set of BC coils on my AWD and went through the winter in Toronto no problem. Adjustment rings did not seize. Oliver, did you install your coils at speedstar?
Got them installed at APH. Glad to hear you made it through the winter Peter with your BCRs. But, then again we didn't get much snow.

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
A good bit of advice if you drive through salt and stuff is to make sure you coat your threads will anti-seize or a light coat of grease before you adjust them, that way the threads are proected where they meet the adjustment rings.
Yup. Did that during the coilover install.

Originally Posted by laobo979
im threw my second winter with my coilover but before i adjust them i spray the sleeve with wd40 and use a brush to take the dirt off and then i adjust it back down for the summer
Awesome!
Old 10-07-10, 04:48 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

This has probably been covered, but I'm still unclear how to raise the ride height. I know the lower ring needs to be adjusted, but I could not get it loose. Do I need to adjust any of the top rings that preload the spring? I've only had the coilovers for 2 weeks so its not rusted or anything.