Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Coilover owners and Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 07:26 AM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megan Coilover owners and Cold Weather

This morning the weather was 30 degrees, our coldest morning so far.

I noticed my new coilover springs squeaking alot, in what sounded like 3 out of the 4. The sound i s like they're moving around on the upper perch locks...

Didn't hear them until it got cold out...

Is this normal? If not, what is the fix?
Old 12-04-09, 10:52 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gman44116
This morning the weather was 30 degrees, our coldest morning so far.

I noticed my new coilover springs squeaking alot, in what sounded like 3 out of the 4. The sound i s like they're moving around on the upper perch locks...

Didn't hear them until it got cold out...

Is this normal? If not, what is the fix?
That is not normal. I have had Megan coilovers for 18 months and never had noises regardless of weather or temperature. You may want to take them back to where you had them installed and make sure everything was done correctly.
Old 12-05-09, 07:55 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same exact problem with mine. Only in really cold weather. Once cold morning they are very noisy, and the next day is mild....the noise stops. I am a professional tech, and installed them myself...I have double checked all my work. I have e-mailed the company I bought them from to get more info.
Old 12-07-09, 01:35 PM
cjames235
Driver

please update the thread with what they say........ mine are doing the same thing (seems in my case only the fronts) in temps around 40 and below and ive only had them a month or so, its very annoying!

once it warms up the noise is gone
Old 12-07-09, 04:34 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Yea only my fronts are making noise also. I haven't heard back from the e-bay seller yet...so I am sending Megan an e-mail right now. I will keep you all updated.
Old 12-07-09, 04:57 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

thats weird, and nothings loose? hmmm..

i really want to pick up a used set, if any of you guys want to sell them let me know..i live in fl where it doesnt go below 60 lol.
Old 12-07-09, 05:04 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Everything is about as tight as it will get. I love the coilovers for what I need them for...I don't autocross or anything like that. They are great daily driving coils....the noise is just annoying. I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of them.
Old 12-07-09, 06:23 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lextechGS
I am having the same exact problem with mine. Only in really cold weather. Once cold morning they are very noisy, and the next day is mild....the noise stops. I am a professional tech, and installed them myself...I have double checked all my work. I have e-mailed the company I bought them from to get more info.
I spoke with Megan today regarding another issue. Let me know what they say. I phoned them and had a knowledgable rep on the phone in minutes. Please post what your outcome is as I will follow through with Megan as well after you post results.
Old 12-09-09, 09:06 AM
gman44116
Lead Lap

To all that have posted, have you received any advice from Megan or found a solution? Please post..
Old 12-09-09, 04:47 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Ok so I have some updates. I e-mailed Megan Racing 2 nights ago...and I got no response. So I called today and explained the situation. At first it seemed like the guy was trying to question my install ability...then he was trying to tell me I needed to corner balance my car to make the noise go away. He also tried to blame my other suspension components. After I proved myself as a knowledgeable technician, and told him everything else on the car was good, he gave me some advice. He said it is either the pillow ball top mount having a lack of lubrication, or a bad strut assembly. He recommended that I disassemble the coilover, and lubricate the bottom pillowball bearing, upper spring seat, and the noise prevention cushion. See the attached link.http://www.meganracing.com/products/...techInfo_id=24

He also said that there is a possibility that the 17mm top nut under the dampening **** may need to be tightened slightly. He emphasized slightly to prevent breaking the threaded part off. He told me to start with tightening the top nut first, and if nothing improves then try to lubricate the proper areas indicated on their website. If you do this, you will need to remove the dampening **** first, by unscrewing the lower silver portion of the ****.
He told me that if none of this corrects the issue, then he would have no problem replacing the strut or top mounts under warranty...with a reciept of course. So as their customer service may be slacking a little, they are willing to help.
I tried to torque down that top nut on my coils today before I left work. I just used a 3/8" impact gun and hit it 2 or 3 times. Now unfortunately it is a little warmer today then it has been, but I didn't hear any noise on the way home. Tomorrow morning will be the real test when it's colder out. If it's still noisy, then I will disassemble the strut and lubricate. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 12-09-09, 04:54 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

I heard of those comming loose on a few coilovers actually
Old 12-09-09, 04:59 PM
lextechGS
Driver

That's interesting. I would have normally checked the tightness of it after the install, but due to the dampening ****...I was a little hesitant to remove it and I didn't really want to mess with it. It would be nice if it were an easy fix such as that.
Old 12-09-09, 05:36 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

This is absolutely unacceptable for a brand new set of coilovers. Unfortunately, for me I do not have the garage to do this work myself so it is going to cost me big bucks as it already cost coin to drop these in. I am extremely disappointed with Megan and my purchase of these coilovers. If I have to take them apart and lube them I think the problems will only continue going forward with this manufacturers products for the GS..

Let us know how the it goes tomorrow morning. It is down to 30 right now and a high of 24 tomorrow and they are squealing like a stuck pig over all road imperfections under 30 mph... I hope it is just that top adjustment...
Old 12-09-09, 06:04 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Yea that's the thing, for me it's just an inconvenience because I have to stay at work late and waste my time trying to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. But for others who aren't mechanics, or have friends that are tech's, they not only had to pay to get them installed, but now have to pay again to get them removed and lubricated. That would pis$ me off so much. If I were you, I would contact Megan and tell them your situation. I can give you the name of the dude I talked to, so at least he will be familiar with the concern. Let him know you are not willing to waste money to do this. (That is if the tightening of that top nut doesn't fix it) Hopefully if Megan really does stand behind their products, they will warranty you a new set. Then you could just sell it as brand new and go with something else.
I don't mind having a non top of the line coilover, because I just use my car for commuting. But if it means dealing with this...I would rather spend the extra cash and get something that doesn't make noise. I would recommend talking to Megan, if at the very least just to make them aware of the possible expense you might face. And in the mean time, I will be trying to fix mine because it doesn't cost me anything....and I will let you know if I find a fix. I am off work on saturday, so I might just go in then and try to tackle this problem.
Old 12-09-09, 06:38 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lextechGS
Yea that's the thing, for me it's just an inconvenience because I have to stay at work late and waste my time trying to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. But for others who aren't mechanics, or have friends that are tech's, they not only had to pay to get them installed, but now have to pay again to get them removed and lubricated. That would pis$ me off so much. If I were you, I would contact Megan and tell them your situation. I can give you the name of the dude I talked to, so at least he will be familiar with the concern. Let him know you are not willing to waste money to do this. (That is if the tightening of that top nut doesn't fix it) Hopefully if Megan really does stand behind their products, they will warranty you a new set. Then you could just sell it as brand new and go with something else.
I don't mind having a non top of the line coilover, because I just use my car for commuting. But if it means dealing with this...I would rather spend the extra cash and get something that doesn't make noise. I would recommend talking to Megan, if at the very least just to make them aware of the possible expense you might face. And in the mean time, I will be trying to fix mine because it doesn't cost me anything....and I will let you know if I find a fix. I am off work on saturday, so I might just go in then and try to tackle this problem.
That sounds good. Lets keep our fingers crossed we have an easy fix with the top nut. Look forward to hearing how things turned out for you tomorrow morning.

When you have a moment, please PM me with the Megan reps name. thanks again...

Quick Reply: Megan Coilover owners and Cold Weather