Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cusco Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 01:28 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cusco Coilovers

Did a quick CL search -- not a lot on Cusco Coilovers.

I don't have the exact model in front of me, but it's the one with 5 "click" adjustment. Anyone out there have them or any Cusco coilover? Any comments or personal experience? Any unfounded, second hand information? The nearby speed shop says they have done two installs on local GS's.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-02, 08:00 PM
RacingAristo

Don't know anyone who has cusco coilovers. I don't think Cusco is famous by their coilover set.

Since your local shop did the installtion on 2 GS, you could try to ask them and see if their customers are willing to give you some feedbacks.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-02, 03:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most Cusco coilovers (at least the ones I've seen) are very stiff...that might be why they're not too popular...
Old 04-24-02, 10:03 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Manaray,

Looks like the Cusco coilovers are about the same cost as the Tein FLEX and EDFC. Given the limited CL experience with the Cuscos I am inclined to look at something else.

Where do the FLEX fall in the Tein lineup as far as comfort <=> sport? Looks like the control box provides you with remote adjustment of your coilovers -- but what exactly is it controlling? Compression and/or rebound? Are the Tein's speed or position sensitive and is this adjustable?

I've had my GS for a bit over a year and have managed to resist the upgrade bug. You guys are killing me with all these great toys! I want some!
Old 04-25-02, 01:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The FLEX is just a TAD bit stiffer than the CS, but much more adjustable in terms of height...you can pretty much sit your car on the frame with these...another nice advantage of the FLEX is that you can adjust the BOTTOM of the coilover for height..that way, even when it's lowered, you can still get FULL shock travel (which CAN be a bad thing if the car is TOO low)...

The EDFC allows remote adjustment of the DAMPENING rate of the shocks in the coilover system. It allows 32 or 16 levels of adjustment so you can fine tune it. Also has presets so you can have a stiff setting for canyons, a medium setting for roads, and then a soft setting for highways.

As for speed and position sensitivity, I don't know exactly what you're asking...speed and position sensitive in what way? The springs are progressive if that's what you're asking...
Old 04-25-02, 12:01 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I was heavy into mountain biking for a number of years and there's some pretty awesome suspension technology involved -- although I don't know how much translates to cars.

Regarding damping, you have compression and rebound. They may be the same, they may be different, and your adjustment may affect only one or both or you may be able to fine tune each separately.

Speed sensitive: this refers to the ability of the shock to reach differently to small vs. big bumps or perhaps the same bump hit at slow vs. high speed. I know of at least a few [car] shock manufacturers that have been pushing this technology.

Position sensitive: this refers to the ability of the shock to behave differently at different points in it's travel. For instance, you may want the shock to be cushy early it's travel to absorb the small bumps but become progressively stiffer as it nears the end of it's travel.

There are mechanical and electronic solutions available. You often find the mechanical [shock utilizing different hydraulic circuits] on 4x4 trucks that have a lot of travel. Electronic solutions are often included as part of the car, Lotus and even Cadillac have versions.

There may be other design requirements that render these points moot or at least less important for 99% of vehicles.

Last edited by redgs4; 04-25-02 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-26-02, 12:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Cool info, I don't think most coilovers have that much technology involved...