Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can you buy just a rear sway for GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-02, 06:54 PM
TexastyleGS4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you buy just a rear sway for GS?

Guys, I'm new to the world of GS. Can a rear sway be purchased by itself? So far, I've only seen it offered in a pair with the front.
Also, what sites besises Carson Toyota sell performance for the G?
thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-02, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Your car does have (stock) sway bars already front and back. Why would you only want to replace the rear one?
Old 04-08-02, 08:23 PM
TexastyleGS4

less body roll, it helped significantly on my Maxima, .....but that could be because its front wheel drive......maybe.....I just need to put a larger sway on the front for flatter cornering and reduced oversteer........ ---just thinking out loud here----
Old 04-08-02, 08:36 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yeah I just hate the stock handling,I am diffently getting aftermarket setup.
Old 04-09-02, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by TexastyleGS4
less body roll, it helped significantly on my Maxima, .....but that could be because its front wheel drive......maybe.....I just need to put a larger sway on the front for flatter cornering and reduced oversteer........ ---just thinking out loud here----
Your first post said you wanted to replace the rear one, and this one says you want to replace the front one. So maybe you want a pair after all? I don't think it makes ANY sense just to replace one and not the other.
Old 04-09-02, 01:20 PM
TexastyleGS4

My second post says "thinking out loud" which is what I was doing. I have since decided to go JUST for a front sway. You see, replacing them individually allows you to tune the cars handling characteristics. Replacing them in pairs will make the car handle better, but if it has a problem with oversteer when stock, guess what, it will handle better, but still oversteer at the breaking point. Replacing just the front bar with a stiffer bar should make it handle better and reduce the tendency to oversteer to a degree.

My other car, the Maxima, understeered like crazy, I just put on a rear sway bar and it greatly improved handling balance--it does not understeer NEARLY as badly. Again, custom tuning. I hope this makes sense. Does this make sense to anyone else? ..just checking!
Old 04-09-02, 01:43 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I used to have a Maxima too with Stillen Sway bar (rear only) it works great, but I believe that on the GS you will need both. the sway is 100% stiffer than stock, the GS suspension is not the same compare to the maxima. anyway, TRD recommend/sell them in pair only. you will be the first to try just one, get both and install just one and then the other one.

Intrax sway bars are cheaper and allow stiffness adjust. Stillen/RMM sell them. Some ppl here complain about the squeaky noise from the brushing, just oil them reqularly.

anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-09-02 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-09-02, 01:50 PM
TexastyleGS4

Yes, yes, adjustable is what I am looking for. You may be right about needing them both, just depending on the car. Bit was cracking me because he evidently doesn't understand the concept of custom tuning.

Where in Texas are you?
I am in Houston.
Old 04-09-02, 03:36 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

TsGS4, what you are saying is accurate as far as it goes (and I suspect that you already know the following but were trying to be brief.....), but replacing front and rear bars doesn't NECESSARILY mean that you retain same balance as with previous bars. Assuming that enough choices in thickness/roll stiffness are available, balance can be altered compared to stock slip angles. But maybe I'm just picking nits.....

Me, I like oversteer anyway, as long as it's progressive and the car sends me the signals......I know it's not fastest many times, but sure is fun......