Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tenabe Lowering Springs Too Low???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 07:41 PM
gqii4you
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tenabe Lowering Springs Too Low???

I have a 2000 gs400 and am about to get the Tenabe Precido's put on my car. They lower the car 2 inches all around. Has anyone done this yet or used these springs with the OE 17 inch rims? I am wondering if it will be too low and if the car will bounce or hop. Also, if anything will rub?? Rumor has it that my oe shocks will be worn out in 6 months due to the lowering springs. Is this true???
Old 04-11-02, 11:32 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, gqii4you!

You will definitely have to watch your driving from now on...
Your car will have 2 inches less of suspension travel, plus the bottom is 2 inches closer to the ground, so drive accordingly.

As far as shocks, I don't know exactly how long it will take, but your OEM dampers will definitely wear out quickly. GS has a bit of a floaty ride with stock springs and I think that OEM dampers will be completely overwhelmed by the higher spring rates.

If I was you, I would be concerned about lack of damping, which is dangerous (imagine your car continuing to bounce after you drove over a bump: less tire contact with the road is a bad thing). So, you might not be able to drive your baby fast on less than perfect roads.

If your objective is not good looks only, then you should definitely replace the dampers as well with stiffer ones. Ask the experts around here for shock absorbers designed to be used with a 2'' drop (I don't know any).

Hope that helps.