Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LSD Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-02, 06:52 AM
GJSGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Help

I've searched and read the LSD threads, but I have a few questions and would appreciate some feedback.
1. Does anyone make a Torsen type LSD for the GS4?
2. Has anyone had any maintenance problems with their clutch type LSD?
3. Does the LSD help the GS4 get around in the snow?
4. Is there any negative interaction between the VSC and the LSD?
Old 03-13-02, 08:07 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LSD Help

Originally posted by GJSGS4
I've searched and read the LSD threads, but I have a few questions and would appreciate some feedback.
1. Does anyone make a Torsen type LSD for the GS4?
2. Has anyone had any maintenance problems with their clutch type LSD?
3. Does the LSD help the GS4 get around in the snow?
4. Is there any negative interaction between the VSC and the LSD?
You should have found your answers already.....

Anyway:

1. Yes, Toyota made / makes one for the Supra with 3.76 gears; you can reach Steve G. @ Carson or RMM or Suprastore.com; I think ball park they are ~$1100 retail

2. No experience, but I don't think so, though teh clutches can wear out over time, more so than the Torsen type, though with the cluctch unit, probably not a measurable / significant amount

3. Theoretically, yes, the the GS isn't a snow car; tires have a lot to do with it as well

4. Define negative j/k The VSC will interact much less often since the the LSD will split / proportion the torque between the wheels, lessening the propensity of the wheels to break traction.

FWIW, I don't have one installed yet, but I have done a lot of research on the LSD units, and am in the process of acquiring one with an install scheduled later this month. I went with the 3.76 Torsen unit, for just a few special reasons.

I'm sure a couple of guys who have had thiers installed and used for a while will chime in and add their experiences as well.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails LSD Help-gsdiff.jpg  

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-13-02 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-13-02, 11:54 AM
GJSGS4
Driver

The negative interaction I was thinking about is when a wheel slips you have the VSC trying to stop the slipping wheel by applying the brake and the LSD clutch is engaging trying to turn the slipping wheel. Depending on which device is faster I thought they might fight each other.

Do you know if the Torsen type is available in the standard 3.23 ratio?
Old 03-13-02, 12:02 PM
JacobT

The mechanical LSD clutch part works faster than the electrical VSC. So it stops the wheel spining before VSC kicks in.

There's no stock ratio Torsen style LSD yet. But may be you can get a 3.76 Torsen LSD and swap in the 3.23 stock ring gear
Old 03-13-02, 12:11 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GJSGS4
The negative interaction I was thinking about is when a wheel slips you have the VSC trying to stop the slipping wheel by applying the brake and the LSD clutch is engaging trying to turn the slipping wheel. Depending on which device is faster I thought they might fight each other.

Do you know if the Torsen type is available in the standard 3.23 ratio?
Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, just messing with ya.

Actually the LSD will compliment the VSC. It should premptively prevent some of the slipping the VSC will want to prevent.

The LSD (mechanical) is the first line of defense, then the VSC (electronic), so therefore, as I mentioned previously, the VSC will come on less often.

Right, what Jacob stated, but that also may be cost prohibitive. After dropping ~$1100+ on the LSD unit, then paying someone labor to swap out and set the ring gear. Setting a rear gear is pretty tricky stuff from what I've read and been told.

Looka t it this way, if you anticipate getting larger wheels and tires, the 3.76 LSD will help you push them; that's one of teh pluses I considered in my decision.

Although, if you are asking about snow, I doubt larger wheels and tires will help your effort. :eek:
Old 03-13-02, 12:26 PM
aristo430
Driver School Candidate

Default hit the limiter??

hi guys i heard that the supra 3.76 LSD will HIT THE LIMITER
what does it mean????

help me out please, im installing the 3.76 LSD soon..

what is the "hit the limiter?"

thanks guys for help!
Old 03-13-02, 12:42 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Let me add my $0.02,

1) What they said (Toyota/RMM is a Torsen)
2) Nope. I've had it for a couple thousand miles now and I'm using Royal Purple 85W140 oil with no problems
3) Absolutely! The tires do matter (I've got 16" snows on mine now) but the biggest gain from the LSD. It drives around very comfortably on snow tires and LSD. I would go so far as to contradict Dexter :eek: and say that it is a great snow car now!
4) Nope. As has been said the mechanical action is quick enough to not cause problems with the VSC and everything works just so much better.

HTH,

Peter
Old 03-13-02, 12:56 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I would go so far as to contradict Dexter :eek: and say that it is a great snow car now!

Oh sure, with the LSD, you can romp around in the white stuff, but still.....

Old 03-13-02, 02:29 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: hit the limiter??

Originally posted by aristo430
hi guys i heard that the supra 3.76 LSD will HIT THE LIMITER
what does it mean????

help me out please, im installing the 3.76 LSD soon..

what is the "hit the limiter?"

thanks guys for help!
It means with the 3.76 gearing, there's a higher probability of hitting the rev limiter. When you hit the rev limiter, there's auto fuel cut-off, and defeats your purpose in a faster launch. In a surpercharged car, fuel cutoff is not good for the engine.

Also,
2) No probs with clutch LSD
4) No neg experience
Old 03-13-02, 03:29 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

I like the Torsen type for low maintenance/longevity (100K+ mi.) purposes, but want to keep the stock ratio. The TRD LSD is listed for $800 and the RMM LSD, on supra.com, is listed at $1,500. Unless the RMM is heavily discounted, it would be hard for me justified the additional cost based on maintenance. It's good to hear the LSD greatly improves the go in the snow and as an added bonus I'll be able to accelerate harder out of the corners.