Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Getting springs. Do I need an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 02:27 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting springs. Do I need an alignment?

I plan on putting some Tein H-techs on my '08 350. The tire shop I have worked with in the past asked whether I had the alignment specs for my car.

I imagine that once "dropped", the stock specs don't apply. How have others dealt with alignment issue after new spring install?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-08, 03:38 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I plan on putting some Tein H-techs on my '08 350. The tire shop I have worked with in the past asked whether I had the alignment specs for my car.

I imagine that once "dropped", the stock specs don't apply. How have others dealt with alignment issue after new spring install?

Thanks.
Yes, you need alignment when you are dropped. Wait till the springs settle (about a month). I have to get my car alignment done again cause my inners are wearing badly.

P.S. You should try and make it out to the Fatburger meet in Orland Park this Sunday
Old 11-03-08, 03:39 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

yup! you need one, they can adjust the toe to prevent abnormal wear, but you prob still get some inner or outter front tire wear.
Old 11-03-08, 03:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, definitely need an alignment after a drop.
I wouldn't wait a month. A month driving on un-aligned tires? I've lowered 4 cars and never waited for the alignment and never had an issue because of it.
Old 11-03-08, 03:57 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
A month driving on un-aligned tires? I've lowered 4 cars and never waited for the alignment and never had an issue because of it.
Matters how far you drive everyday. If you are driving 100 miles a day then get it done sooner. If you drive 20 miles a day its not a big deal.
Old 11-03-08, 08:26 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

So after a car is dropped, can any alignment shop "re-align" the wheels? I know little about this stuff, so bear with me... I thought the given alignment parameters (camber, toe,,,) were unique to each model/make of car given the stock wheel/tire setup. You obviously can't use stock specs and apply them to a lowered suspension with +1 sizing, right?
Old 11-03-08, 08:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

There's nothing you can adjust except toe. So the rest of the numbers are academic. Somehow there are still idiot alignment techs out there who can't even get toe right. See all the complaints about inside edge wear on ISx50 for proof.

So, take it to someone with a clue, have them reset the toe, and call it a happy day.
Old 11-03-08, 09:44 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving on my tein s techs for 2 weeks unalligned and i'm going to the dealership for my 5k service check soon, you think they can allign my car correctly?

Last edited by Sytfu_IS; 11-03-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 11:41 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Planning to get my car aligned on thursday at wheel works. Any specific spec to align it to? Like a chart to follow? My car is lowered on Tein CS dumped with 19s.
Old 11-04-08, 12:49 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Hmmm...once I drop my car, I'll probably align after going thru a whole tank of gas (that's usually 2.5 weeks for me).
Old 11-04-08, 05:03 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zeus69
So after a car is dropped, can any alignment shop "re-align" the wheels? I know little about this stuff, so bear with me... I thought the given alignment parameters (camber, toe,,,) were unique to each model/make of car given the stock wheel/tire setup. You obviously can't use stock specs and apply them to a lowered suspension with +1 sizing, right?
FYI, I take mine to Thalmann Alignment in Northbrook/Glenview.
Old 11-04-08, 05:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's nothing you can adjust except toe. So the rest of the numbers are academic. Somehow there are still idiot alignment techs out there who can't even get toe right. See all the complaints about inside edge wear on ISx50 for proof.

So, take it to someone with a clue, have them reset the toe, and call it a happy day.
I've tried others for alignment but the dealer seems to do it best. At least my dealer does.
Old 11-07-08, 11:13 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Not to beat this horse, but what do you mean by "reset" the toe? (While reading other posts, I now gather this means setting it back to "0"?)

Unfortunately, I have no idea who in the alignment biz has a clue in my neck of the woods--I'll have to ask around... Some have suggested taking it to the local dealership. Has anyone had their car realigned at the dealer after installing aftermarket springs and bigger rims? Did the dealer balk or do a good job?

Last edited by Zeus69; 11-07-08 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 08:33 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, why can only toe be adjusted?
Old 11-09-08, 10:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by iskcon
Out of curiosity, why can only toe be adjusted?
Because Lexus built it that way. Unlike the Supra where everything was adjustable, all the 2IS have fixed settings for everything but toe. It's cheaper.

Quick Reply: Getting springs. Do I need an alignment?