Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB for 2008 Owners Finally Released!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 11:49 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great news! Dealer wouldn't take care of it a few months back, saying that only the '07 models were affected.

I'm gonna come in with the printed TSB and mush it in his face!
Old 10-07-08, 12:03 PM
I250AWD916
Rookie

Hey guys...I just scheduled appointment for tomorrow for my TSIB on my 08 IS250..will they say something about my aftermarket wheels I have and also is there any out of pocket cost
Old 10-07-08, 12:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by I250AWD916
Hey guys...I just scheduled appointment for tomorrow for my TSIB on my 08 IS250..will they say something about my aftermarket wheels I have and also is there any out of pocket cost
It's possible they will say "nice wheels"

and TSIBs are free under warranty
Old 10-07-08, 01:17 PM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

I've been thinking about getting this done but I really like the feel of my brakes...so the new pads will have the same stopping distance just have a slightly different feel? the brake dust is pretty annoying though
Old 10-07-08, 02:05 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by will_is250
I've been thinking about getting this done but I really like the feel of my brakes...so the new pads will have the same stopping distance just have a slightly different feel? the brake dust is pretty annoying though
They will not have the On/Off feel. It will be more linear.

Remember to properly bed in your new brake pads. Do a search to find out how.
Old 10-07-08, 04:12 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

had mine done about 6000 miles ago... they are nice and clean now.. however the braking power SUCKS! compared to the dusty ones.. and I mean SUCKS... I push my car hard around curves and stuff and sometimes I feel like the car isn't gonna stop on time.... and this was with stocks... now im rolling on 20's ... Wish I kept the dusty ones... oh well its ok BBK around the corner
Old 10-07-08, 06:02 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
had mine done about 6000 miles ago... they are nice and clean now.. however the braking power SUCKS! compared to the dusty ones.. and I mean SUCKS... I push my car hard around curves and stuff and sometimes I feel like the car isn't gonna stop on time.... and this was with stocks... now im rolling on 20's ... Wish I kept the dusty ones... oh well its ok BBK around the corner
Sorry, but thats not possible with a simple pad change. You must have bed-in the brakes improperly or your idea of braking power is wrong. How long did you have the TSIB brake pads with the stocks? It must have been before break in was finished. Those 20s must be really heavy.

Does ABS engage? If so, then the "braking power" is the same as the stock pads.
Old 10-07-08, 06:07 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

LOL... when I say they suck... I dont mean that they dont work! they work fine... when I had the TSIB done they did warn me that the breaking power was gonna be partially less then the old pads.... and yes the 20's are heavy... there one piece vossens! so technically I'm not supposed to drive the car hard like I used to with stocks.. cuz these wheels aren't meant for that..
Old 10-07-08, 07:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
LOL... when I say they suck... I dont mean that they dont work! they work fine... when I had the TSIB done they did warn me that the breaking power was gonna be partially less then the old pads.... and yes the 20's are heavy... there one piece vossens! so technically I'm not supposed to drive the car hard like I used to with stocks.. cuz these wheels aren't meant for that..
As already noted, if the brakes can engage ABS (and they should) then you have -exactly- the same braking power you did before with the dusty pads.

The -feel- changes, the actual stopping power does not.
Old 10-07-08, 07:09 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I want to lay this out for everyone. What stops a vehicle?

Tires + Brakes + Engine

When a person enables ABS, this means the car is at a point where it cannot brake any better without locking the wheels. Almost every car on the road can enable ABS.

Your tires are the limiting factor. They are what connect you to the road. Put Hoosiers on your car and see if you stop better than adding a BBK.
Old 10-07-08, 07:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

It's funny how no one ever mentions that the amount of force that's required to engage ABS changes (incrementally) whenever you change your brake pad to a less aggressive compound. In other words, your braking distance will not change because of the brake pad used, but ceteris paribus, you might have to push the brake pedal harder (however incremental that increase is) to engage ABS and achieve that braking distance. A more accurate equation of 'what stops a car' would be force + tires + brakes.

Javier
Old 10-08-08, 05:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It's funny how no one ever mentions that the amount of force that's required to engage ABS changes (incrementally) whenever you change your brake pad to a less aggressive compound. In other words, your braking distance will not change because of the brake pad used, but ceteris paribus, you might have to push the brake pedal harder (however incremental that increase is) to engage ABS and achieve that braking distance. A more accurate equation of 'what stops a car' would be force + tires + brakes.

Javier
Braking distance, as listed in magazines and everywhere else it's tested, is done for a single panic stop.

By definition this is by applying maximum brake force.

Most folks, making a panic stop, will slam the brake pedal. In other words they will go well beyond the amount of force needed to engage ABS, regardless of which brake pad is on the car.

At which point they will achieve exactly the same stopping distance as they would have with any other brake pad.
Old 10-08-08, 06:07 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
Yes, this could be an issue with other cars, but the 2IS has Brake Assist:

ABS with Brake Assist

The Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) employs computerized control to help prevent the wheels from locking up or skidding during braking. For additional control, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) monitors and manages the force between the front and rear brakes to prevent the vehicle from diving. When the system detects an attempted emergency stop, Brake Assist [1] automatically boosts braking force when the driver does not apply enough pressure to the brake pedal.
Old 10-08-08, 06:11 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

I definitely recommend getting this done. I have an 08 and I'd clean my wheels and within a day it would be covered in brake dust again. This practically gets rid of the problem. You'll have very very minimal brake dust (just like normal cars).
Old 10-08-08, 06:31 AM
tieu
Rookie

is anyone getting courtesy car with this??
ive dropped my car off at my dealership 5 times now, my schedule conflicts with lexus's open and closing time so I ALWAYS have to arrange something

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB for 2008 Owners Finally Released!