Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB for 2008 Owners Finally Released!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 11:29 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwiches
I've got 48K miles on my '08 Think they'll do my brakes for free?
They only do it for free if there's a certain amount left on your pads. Forget the exact cutoff though.
Old 04-14-10, 12:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
They only do it for free if there's a certain amount left on your pads. Forget the exact cutoff though.
That depends on the dealer.

The text of the TSIB has no such requirement- it states you get it anytime you want within the factory warranty period.

And it's not like they're keeping the old pads for anything anyway.

Some dealers still seem to hassle customers with worn pads, but I'm not sure what they use for the justification given the actual SB doesn't say "Only applies if you have half your pads left" or anything... and others have reported no problems getting the work done under warranty with very worn pads.
Old 12-09-10, 10:02 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Oh damn, really? I planned on walking in there this saturday and getitng em done for free. I think mine are at like 2mm....
Old 12-11-10, 06:17 PM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

So just as an FYI, if your brakes are under 3mm, your not getting it for free. And also, not sure if this is a common thing amongst lexus dealerships, but they refused to change my pads without replacing the rotors, which is absolutely absurd
Old 12-11-10, 06:30 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That is absurd, unless your rotors were really worn too.
Old 12-12-10, 06:37 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just be prepared they will take some time to get use to. they definitely dont stop as well as the other pads, lol. But hey atleast I dont have brake dust after 3 days. Havent washed my car in 3 weeks and still no sign of dust.
Old 12-12-10, 08:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
just be prepared they will take some time to get use to. they definitely dont stop as well as the other pads
They stop the car exactly as well as the high dust pads.

Brake pads can't reduce stopping distance.

This has been explained numerous times already.

The feel can change (for the better with the low dust pads since it's easier to modulate light-touch braking), but the car will still stop in exactly the same distance it did with either set of pads.
Old 12-23-10, 08:11 PM
rc2o6
Driver

Hey all,

I had my 2008 is250 awd at the Lexus of Seattle dealership earlier today for the front brake pads to be replaced (because of excessive brake dust and excessive squeaking) but after the tech measured them, they wouldn't cover it under the warranty (or tsib) because i had 3mm life left on the front pads (i just bought the car a few weeks ago with 41k miles on it). The service advisor said that Lexus won't cover it if it's less than 5mm, no question about it. i didn't want to argue as he was pretty nice with all my questions and other things i had asked him to look at while my car was in the shop.

He called to inform me while i was at work to let me know the details mentioned above and recommended the front brake pads to be replaced and rotors resurfaced with a quote of $325 + tax. I agreed as it was convenient and they would use the new brake pad kit from the tsib anyways. I got to the dealership after work and he told me that after resurfacing the front rotors, it became too low/thin for safe use so they had to replace the front rotors with new ones. He didn't charge me extra for the new rotors as the tech failed to measure the rotors before resurfacing and its their fault for missing that detail (so i got new front rotors for free, more or less). He mentioned that the front rotors and pad replacement service is usually $750-800 + tax, so looks like i got a pretty good deal out of it even though they wouldn't warrant the pads under the tsib (or is he blowing smoke up my tailpipe and i believed him...?).

They also washed my car (even though it's currently raining in Seattle, go figure) but it's still a nice gesture and now my car looks good again . The customer service provided by the service advisor was excellent and i'll be returning there for future maintenance as i would prefer to keep all records under the lexus umbrella. The first/original owner of the car had all his maintenance done at another lexus dealership so i already have a detailed record of the services performed. In conclusion, i'm satisfied with the outcome of today's events at the dealership even with having a very long and stressful day at work.

Thanks for reading
Old 12-27-10, 02:15 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That's an amazing deal, if they really put new rotors on. The parts alone are $325* without tax! Congratulations on the deal of the century

*MSRP

Just for future reference, front pads are $65, each front rotor is $130, and to cut/refinish a rotor is $15. So the original offer cost $95 for materials, which means they quoted you $255 for labor. And that is absurd! I suggest you find a local mechanic, if you are not a DIY'er.

Last edited by Hayk; 12-27-10 at 02:25 AM.