Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 02:52 PM
kswagner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Recommendations

Hello Everyone - I need your help. IMO, my 98 GS400 with 143K probably needs some suspension work done to it. I have the ever popular vibration from 55-85mph. I have this "hop" feeling coming from the rear which is most noticable going a very slow speed (< 5mph) but still exists up to 80mph. I have inner tire wear on both front and rear tires (which need replacement now). I have replaced the front lower ball joints and outer tie rods < 10K miles ago. My question is:
1) What suspension work should I have done? Should I just take it to a local Lexus mechanic and see what they recommend?
2) Im a big DIYer (but dont want to do a bushing replacement on LCA, etc.). Is there anything I can do to make the total cost cheaper?
3) My GS400 was built in 10/97 so I do not believe I can tighter the steering rackpre-tensioner. Should I have this replaced so I can tighten the steering column and eliminate the vibrations?

My main goal is to eliminate the vibration and restore the smooth Lexus ride in the cheapest way possible instead of replacing part after part hoping it fixes the problem. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wagsy
Old 08-19-08, 04:00 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

doesnt sound you like you've done any suspension mods...yet.
imho, maybe replace all bushings (control arm and steering rack), control arms as they should/may be going out, and get your alignment done to resolve your issues.
GL!
Old 08-19-08, 10:42 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kswagner
Hello Everyone - I need your help. IMO, my 98 GS400 with 143K probably needs some suspension work done to it. I have the ever popular vibration from 55-85mph. I have this "hop" feeling coming from the rear which is most noticable going a very slow speed (< 5mph) but still exists up to 80mph. I have inner tire wear on both front and rear tires (which need replacement now). I have replaced the front lower ball joints and outer tie rods < 10K miles ago. My question is:
1) What suspension work should I have done? Should I just take it to a local Lexus mechanic and see what they recommend?
2) Im a big DIYer (but dont want to do a bushing replacement on LCA, etc.). Is there anything I can do to make the total cost cheaper?
3) My GS400 was built in 10/97 so I do not believe I can tighter the steering rackpre-tensioner. Should I have this replaced so I can tighten the steering column and eliminate the vibrations?

My main goal is to eliminate the vibration and restore the smooth Lexus ride in the cheapest way possible instead of replacing part after part hoping it fixes the problem. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wagsy

1. Yes - see what they recommend ...

2. However ... at your mileage you really need to replace the upper and lower control arms and the caster bushings. If you don't want the hassel of poly just get new oem arms which come with new bushings. They won't squeak and it will get rid of your vibration. It's expensive but your bushings are toast at this mileage.

While you are doing this decide if you want to do any strut changes at the same time since they are already in there. If you have the original struts you should change these now too - at this mileage they are toast too and this is probably where your hop is coming from - worn shocks. KYB or Bilstein HD's are the most popular with oem springs (KYB's are more stock like and Bilsteins are more performance oriented). Do a search and you'll find lots of info on each one. Plus you'll need to get an alignment after all this is done. This should cure your tire wear too.

3. Do the daizen steering rack bushing. This will help your steering in a very positive way. Highly recommended. I'm not sure if a new steering rack will make that much difference.

4. If you have the oem sway bar you can go with the Daizen sway bar bushings. this is a cheap way to increase performance without buying all new bars. Very easy to install. Use anti seize paste with the silicone lube to help avoid any squeaking. You can do this front and rear.

Hope this helps!

Scott
Old 08-21-08, 12:02 PM
kswagner
Rookie

Default Suspension Recommendations

Originally Posted by Scott1258
1. Yes - see what they recommend ...

2. However ... at your mileage you really need to replace the upper and lower control arms and the caster bushings. If you don't want the hassel of poly just get new oem arms which come with new bushings. They won't squeak and it will get rid of your vibration. It's expensive but your bushings are toast at this mileage.

I looked into this and the parts are really expensive compared to the bushing replacement. Im a DIY - can I do this if I did the ball joints and outer tie rods? Also, where/what are the caster bushings? Where do I get those?

While you are doing this decide if you want to do any strut changes at the same time since they are already in there. If you have the original struts you should change these now too - at this mileage they are toast too and this is probably where your hop is coming from - worn shocks. KYB or Bilstein HD's are the most popular with oem springs (KYB's are more stock like and Bilsteins are more performance oriented). Do a search and you'll find lots of info on each one. Plus you'll need to get an alignment after all this is done. This should cure your tire wear too.

I have the original struts both front and back. Are these easy to replace for a DIYer?

3. Do the daizen steering rack bushing. This will help your steering in a very positive way. Highly recommended. I'm not sure if a new steering rack will make that much difference.

I believe I can do this. Saw some DIY write-ups on it.

4. If you have the oem sway bar you can go with the Daizen sway bar bushings. this is a cheap way to increase performance without buying all new bars. Very easy to install. Use anti seize paste with the silicone lube to help avoid any squeaking. You can do this front and rear.

Can do this too - very easy.

Hope this helps!

Scott
It looks like upwards of about $2K to have the U and L Control Arms and Shocks replaced by a lexus mechanic. Bushing job doesnt look nearly as expensive. I have yet to take it in for an estimate. Plus, I need new tires.

Wagsy
Old 08-21-08, 12:09 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do it yourself, you said youre a DIY person yourself. plenty of lower ball joint DIY threads and information exist.
Old 08-21-08, 11:02 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Yes you can do it if you are DIY guy! The caster bushings are the big bushings on the bottom sometimes referred to as lower control arm bushings 2. You can replace the shocks yourself. YOu'll need a press to do the bushings though and you will have trouble with squeaking at some point ... so if you do it put grooves in them before install to help the grease last longer. good luck!