Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

AGAIN?!? Bad tie rods or ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 09:03 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default AGAIN?!? Bad tie rods or ball joints?

What's up CL. So my 01 GS430 has been acting up lately. Everything suspension wise is fairly new. Tie rods were replaced only like 20k miles ago and ball joints even newer. Now I notice when I'm driving slow and going over a bumpy road with those little bumps that stick up (not holes) you hear a knocking and clunking noise coming from somewhere below in the suspension. This is really pissing me off because this suspension is so weak on this car that it can't even hold up to NYC driving for 20k miles I think that's horrible. Now I don't have money like I used to just be replacing everything that would eventually need replacing one by one until the problem is solved. I really need to determine if it's the tie rods again or those damn ball joints! I notice when driving I "feel the floor" more, like bumps can be felt on the steering wheel and bumps make the steering wheel jerk and twitch sometimes. It feels like something is worn because usually the steering is stiffer but now I feel all the bumps. ALSO the car when parking would make a couple popping noises from somewhere in the wheel area but lately it hasn't been as bad after an alignment but I still hear it every now and then. Any suggestions please if you guys think it's the tie rods again or ball joints. It just FEELS like it's one of them being loose and not stiff enough therefore allowing the play and road feedback to be felt through the wheel

Last edited by DMPesso; 09-09-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 10:11 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked your Caster Arm Bushings? If your LBJ's were shot, then have a close look at the Caster Arms
Old 09-09-14, 10:43 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by brainsurge
Have you checked your Caster Arm Bushings? If your LBJ's were shot, then have a close look at the Caster Arms
Caster arms were replaced with everything else including upper control arms about 20k miles ago. Can't IMAGINE those going bad so quick AGAIN, but with this weak suspension you never know. I'm just HOPING someone is gonna be like "yup, thats exactly what mine did when my tie rods were bad" at least ill know thats the problem.
Old 09-09-14, 10:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

the looseness doesnt feel like it would be the caster arm, it feels like one of the ball joints or tie rods, is it possible for new ball joints or tie rods to go back so quickly if maybe my girl hit a big pothole?
Old 09-09-14, 11:04 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the looseness doesnt feel like it would be the caster arm, it feels like one of the ball joints or tie rods, is it possible for new ball joints or tie rods to go back so quickly if maybe my girl hit a big pothole?
interested in knowing as well. im having a clucking noise which sounds bad ball joints. but i replaced them a year and a half ago.
Old 09-09-14, 11:07 AM
gsbs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you actually taken the wheels off and checked everything?made sure everything is greased?did you get serviceable parts or oem?
Old 09-09-14, 12:18 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suspension problems ughhhhhhhhhh I feel your pain dude, everytime i fix something 2 weeks later another issue FML
Old 09-09-14, 12:38 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
Suspension problems ughhhhhhhhhh I feel your pain dude, everytime i fix something 2 weeks later another issue FML
i knowwwww, I swear this car has the worst suspension ever made but eveything else was bulletproof. If they wouldve designed the suspension better this would be one of the best built cars ever made. It really is everytime you fix something next week another thing breaks
Old 09-09-14, 12:39 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by gsbs300
Have you actually taken the wheels off and checked everything?made sure everything is greased?did you get serviceable parts or oem?
EVERYTHING OEM, from Sewell or my local dealer via shop discounted prices. I dont buy ANYTHING aftermarket for lexus. I learned the hard way a few times that there are very few things that will function like OEM that you can buy aftermarket with confidence. I dont think grease would cause the issues i am having.
Old 09-09-14, 02:36 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a similar clunking I could feel in the floor board and it turned out to be the brakes. I don't know exactly what caused it but I took the pads out and put them back in and no more clunk.
Old 09-09-14, 06:38 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Out of sole curiosity, are you lowered (and if so, by how much)?
Old 09-09-14, 07:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sway bar bushings? steering rack bushings? its really hard to say unless you start diagnosing each side by yourself, Take the wheel off and look for tears and leaks on the rubber of the ball joints, and tie rods. Try and move the wheel from side to side and if there's play than your wheel bearings could be affected.... So many possibilities.
Old 09-09-14, 08:15 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen upper strut mounts cause those noises. A redneck trick is to bang on them with a hammer an see if the noise gets better.
Old 09-10-14, 05:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Out of sole curiosity, are you lowered (and if so, by how much)?
Nope, bone stock
Old 09-10-14, 06:00 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by NotADood
I have seen upper strut mounts cause those noises. A redneck trick is to bang on them with a hammer an see if the noise gets better.
I dont think its the strut mounts as the noise seems to be coming from below that area, hence why im assuming tie rods or ball joints as it sounds like that area

Quick Reply: AGAIN?!? Bad tie rods or ball joints?