Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Driver's Side Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 01:47 PM
Eric00GS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driver's Side Noise

So I’ve got a cluncking/rubbing sound coming from the front driver’s side that I only hear when I go over a significant bump in the road. It kind of sounds like the wheel is momentarily rubbing against a splash guard, but I looked and didn’t see any signs of a loose splash guard or any spot where the wheel was rubbing. The sound is intermitent, but I hear it every time I go over a speed bump.

I’ve tightened down all the suspension bolts and that didn’t help.

I did a seach and others with a similar problem needed their strut mount replaced. So I took apart the strut, but the mount is in great condition.

Tie rods, lower ball joint, castor arm bushings, upper control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, steering rack bushings, and brake shim kit have all been recently replaced.

Any ideas what it could be? Wheel bearing?

Last edited by Eric00GS3; 03-05-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 06:38 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

if everything from the above has been replaced, it sounds like it could be your wheel bearing...but, check this out, jack up ur car and see if you have any play in your wheels, if u do then it's most likely the wheel bearings.

I just ordered some Timken wheel bearings for my front wheels before I replaced my bj's and tie rod ends, I initially thought my wheel bearings needed replacement but apparantly they dont. So, if you need, i got the parts. Plus, Timken is a reputable brand for wheel bearings, there's a thread on CL on them.
Old 03-05-08, 09:05 AM
Eric00GS3
Driver

Thanks tommyjaix. I checked the wheel play. I pulled/pushed the wheel holding it at 12 and 6 and there's no play. The wheel is solid.

The sound is intermitent. But I consistently hear it when I go over speed bumps.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-05-08, 06:46 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

hmmm...check ur brake clearance, does it sound like ur brakes rubbing against the rotor? I mean, u obviously mustve step on ur brakes while u go over bumps and as u do that, the sound u hear might be ur brakes just rubbing against the rotor. I get the same sound while im releasing my brakes, the clunking/rubbing noise and its pretty loud to, i think its normal, since I have those EBC green stuff brakepads and they're pretty sticky
Old 03-06-08, 03:00 PM
Eric00GS3
Driver

That's a good thought. I doesn't happen when I break the only thing that seems to cause it is when I go over a bump or dip in the road regardless of whether I'm braking, coasting or accelerating. But maybe....But wouldn't I hear it from both sides? I'll check out the clearance.

I was driving over speed bumps yesterday and it sounds like a noise that the spring could make when it's being compressed. But I checked out the spring when I was looking at the strut mount and it didn't seem like there was anything out of the ordinary.

It's odd too because it's not consistent. I hear it every day, but some days I hear it more than others.
Old 04-04-08, 08:07 AM
Eric00GS3
Driver

UPDATE: I went to a Lexus shop. They said the lube on the Daizen upper control arm bushings has probably worn out and is causing the sound. The owner said he had a 2nd gen GS and had to lube his Daizen bushings from time to time. I installed them, so I know I lubed them up real good. He said sometimes the lube wears out no matter how much you apply. I'll update once I lube the bushings.
Old 04-12-08, 11:44 AM
samster
Pole Position

clunking rubbin sound........? does the rubbin sound metallic? i want to know this one to!!!! on my driver side too. Never could figgure it out, tightened everything, swapped suspension everything, etc......... cept the wheel bearing thats why i thought mabe it could have been the wheel bearing, but my wheel doesn't have play either when its being wiggled. I also have daizens bushings and it doesn't happen every bump? sometimes it doesn't even happen. The only reason why it bothers me because when i go over a series of bumps it sounds like the driver side is about to fall apart when i have the radio off.
Old 04-16-08, 01:48 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got more of a clunking sound coming from the driver side i can hear it over speed bumps and even little bumps like the square reflectors in the roads
just got my balljoints done not too long ago
Old 07-09-08, 06:07 AM
dinero718
Driver School Candidate

i have this problem too i just changed my brake pads and rotors, i hear this noise rubbing noise when i slowly release take my foot off the brakes and sometimes when im coming to a stop slowly...the lexus Mechanic said its a normal thing you hear it inside the car but outside u really cant hear it..any solutions?
Old 07-09-08, 07:18 AM
SaraGS430
Driver School Candidate

I have herd about this same ussue in Toyota Camerys from this it sounds like they are pretty similar
Old 07-09-08, 05:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
hmmm...check ur brake clearance, does it sound like ur brakes rubbing against the rotor? I mean, u obviously mustve step on ur brakes while u go over bumps and as u do that, the sound u hear might be ur brakes just rubbing against the rotor. I get the same sound while im releasing my brakes, the clunking/rubbing noise and its pretty loud to, i think its normal, since I have those EBC green stuff brakepads and they're pretty sticky
Is that normal with the EBC green stuff pads? I'm hearing a clunking noise to when i brake or turn the wheel. Its really strange... Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony
Old 07-09-08, 05:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
Is that normal with the EBC green stuff pads? I'm hearing a clunking noise to when i brake and turn the wheel. Its really strange... Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony
Old 07-16-08, 12:28 PM
X'treems
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys!

Hello fro Latvia!
The same situation the same disgusting NOISE!
There was proposal from my dealer to change ball joints, struts and etc., but ... you can imagine a total cost for that "overhauling". Most stupidest is that that (in my fall) don't help at all!
After long seeking I found that NOISE gone 100% when I changed ... (its really unbelievable!!!) ... just front BRAKING PADS! I put there NONoriginal and noise is gone! Thats all!

Good luck!