Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Flex got me going crazy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 07:42 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex got me going crazy!!!!

Well long story short, it was embarrassing today when a female told me how my car sounds like its going to fall apart.....

I tried searching but haven’t found any fix for the loud thump noise coming from the upper area of the tein flex.

Also I had a really really hard time adjusting my ride height from the lower ring....actually I couldn’t adjust any of them because they wouldn’t budge. Does anyone have any idea what I could use to loosen them? I have all the keys and I'm using ratchets and bars for leverage, but no luck.

And another....what does that gold bolt on top of the shocks do? I’m not talking about the dampening adjustment. It looks like a 16mm....I was looking at it and thinking maybe if I adjust that my noise would go away...but I didn’t cause I didn’t know what it purpose was.

I’m in the process in getting the EDFC controller. I’m also planning to order some Daizen control arm bushings and SR bushings.

Another >?< When changing the lower ball joints do I have to replace the tire rods?

Thanks a lot guys!!!!
Old 08-09-07, 09:24 PM
cr00klyn71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldve went air suspension. ladies love it. lol
Old 08-09-07, 10:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Loud noise: The FLEX uses solid metal pillowball mounts. This is a racing suspension after all, not really meant for luxury. You gota give up some comfort for the extra performance. The noise doesn't bother me, but if it bugs you just roll down the windows or turn up the music.
Solution: Get a different suspension if the noise really bugs you. Also, if you have a lotta miles on the FLEX...the pillowball mounts might be a bit worn down and cause more noise. Turning the suspension to a softer dampening setting will reduce some of the noise.

Lower ring adjustment: Yeah it's a real beeotch to get off once it's settled in. Keep in mind it's a reverse thread on the very bottom ring so turn it right to loosen it. You might need some extra leverage...goto the hardware store and buy a 6ft long pipe that has an internal diameter big enough to fit the spanner wrench. That ring will come off like nothing with a 6ft pipe

Gold bolt: That's the bolt that holds the whole suspension assembly together(pillowball mount, strut, spring). Make sure it is properly tightened. If it's loose it can cause a lotta noise as well and if left unchecked for too long...it will kill the pillowball mounts.

Hope some of these tips help
Old 08-10-07, 06:37 AM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Loud noise: The FLEX uses solid metal pillowball mounts. This is a racing suspension after all, not really meant for luxury. You gota give up some comfort for the extra performance. The noise doesn't bother me, but if it bugs you just roll down the windows or turn up the music.
Solution: Get a different suspension if the noise really bugs you. Also, if you have a lotta miles on the FLEX...the pillowball mounts might be a bit worn down and cause more noise. Turning the suspension to a softer dampening setting will reduce some of the noise.

Lower ring adjustment: Yeah it's a real beeotch to get off once it's settled in. Keep in mind it's a reverse thread on the very bottom ring so turn it right to loosen it. You might need some extra leverage...goto the hardware store and buy a 6ft long pipe that has an internal diameter big enough to fit the spanner wrench. That ring will come off like nothing with a 6ft pipe

Gold bolt: That's the bolt that holds the whole suspension assembly together(pillowball mount, strut, spring). Make sure it is properly tightened. If it's loose it can cause a lotta noise as well and if left unchecked for too long...it will kill the pillowball mounts.

Hope some of these tips help
I think im going to try adjust it this weekend...wish me luck...
How tight does that bolt have to be? I think mines is kind of loose..
Old 08-22-07, 06:03 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

hey jeff chime in on this if u can.... but what if someone got the flex and used the cs pillow ball mounts ???? i kno it wouldnt be as responsive.... but it would cure the noise and have a better ride with road vibrations
Old 08-23-07, 12:27 AM
raceroyce
Driver

i have the same problem the noise is driving me crazy. the gold nut i tried tightening but it just spins with the shaft. i want to go universal air but i dont have the stock suspension. what should i do?
Old 08-23-07, 05:42 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

racerroyce how much would u be looking for ur flex setup? how many miles r on them? thanx
Old 08-24-07, 01:14 AM
raceroyce
Driver

adam not sure but i dont have the stock suspension so i cant sell them yet and they are about a year old
Old 08-24-07, 07:22 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

keep me in mind when you r ready to sell them if u decide to do that
Old 08-24-07, 07:25 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raceroyce
i have the same problem the noise is driving me crazy. the gold nut i tried tightening but it just spins with the shaft. i want to go universal air but i dont have the stock suspension. what should i do?
are you using a wrench? you have to use and impact gun if you can't hold the rod.
Old 08-25-07, 05:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

do not i repeat do not use impact gun on the top nut , you will spin the piston rod and destroy the valving inside

the upper mount does get loose over time , the only way to tighten the pillowball is to remove from the car disassemble and tighten from underneath the mount

i sent mine back to teins earlier this year and they did mine for me and explained to me in detail what to do and what not to do
Old 08-25-07, 08:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
do not i repeat do not use impact gun on the top nut , you will spin the piston rod and destroy the valving inside
you might be right, i only have expirences with SS and oem and you can do it with those.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 08-26-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 01:37 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

To tighten the nut, you need 2 wrenches. One on the flat-cut portion of the rod to prevent the rod from spinning. The other one will be the one that actually turns the nut.
Old 08-27-07, 02:56 PM
raceroyce
Driver

jeff- yah i tried that but it still has the clunking noise.