Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will adding a rubber insert between the shock upper mount reduce noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 08:19 AM
dle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will adding a rubber insert between the shock upper mount reduce noise?

I'm planning to install a set of coilovers this weekend. From looking at the included metal upper mount, it seems like it might be kinda harsh metal to metal. All there is right now is a very thin peice of paper that doesnt look like it will do much. I was wondering it would be a good idea if I use that paper as a template and cut out a thin rubber template to add on top. Do yo think that would be a good idea?

Old 06-27-07, 11:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If the rubber is thin enough, it wont really hurt, only benefit.

Your car will be raised by however thick the rubber will be, but you have coilovers so nothing to worry about . Not to mention, the thickness of the rubber should not make a huge impact on handling.
Old 06-27-07, 11:36 AM
dle
Pole Position

good point...i guess the thicker the rubber is, the more it will negatively affect handling characteristics...ill try to find durable thin rubber to go in between this weekend. thanks gsteg.

oh and regarding your sig, im planning to replace other suspension parts as well. my car steering wheel shakes badly approaching 80mph. I plan on ordring new lower ball joints, outter tie rods, and lower control arms.Is that all i need to do the trick?
Old 06-27-07, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

get yourself the daizen steering rack bushing. for $40, its one of the best mods I've done. Your 98 GS bushing is probably mushy by now. The steering precision will improve. It's less sloppy and will last longer than the car itself. Fairly easy installation too!
Old 06-27-07, 11:58 AM
dle
Pole Position

cool , added to my list. I guess I should order that from TM eh? I heard lots of people are still waiting on their orders from there...who else carries this?
Old 06-27-07, 12:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Sewell lexus. I prefer sewell lexus, even though I got mine from TM.

Use CL911M to get 10% discount code. Then again, Sewell is located. Then again, they are located in the Dallas/Fortworth area so you might save on shipping.
Old 06-27-07, 12:15 PM
dle
Pole Position

thanks for the discount code! -Duy
Old 06-29-07, 08:42 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dle
I'm planning to install a set of coilovers this weekend. From looking at the included metal upper mount, it seems like it might be kinda harsh metal to metal. All there is right now is a very thin peice of paper that doesnt look like it will do much. I was wondering it would be a good idea if I use that paper as a template and cut out a thin rubber template to add on top. Do yo think that would be a good idea?

What coils are those? And where would one go to find rubber that would work well with this idea?
Old 06-29-07, 08:45 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
get yourself the daizen steering rack bushing. for $40, its one of the best mods I've done. Your 98 GS bushing is probably mushy by now. The steering precision will improve. It's less sloppy and will last longer than the car itself. Fairly easy installation too!
Do you know of anyone that has a DIY for replacing the steering rack bushings? I have looked and haven't found one. Is it relatively easy?
Old 06-29-07, 11:13 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Nevermind, I found it. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough....
Old 06-29-07, 11:24 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't bother trying to isolate this region of the coilover from the shock tower; once you tighten-up the top nuts, this piece should not move relative to the shock tower and can't make any noise. If anything, isolating this with rubber will dampen the sharpness of the handling and steering somewhat, basically allowing the strut/spring unit to move somewhat relative to the chassis.

Typically coilovers like this make noise due to the "pillow ball" top mount; this is why I went with the H&R coilovers; they retain the stock top spring mount which has a nice rubber SPRING isolator to reduce harshness.

The OE top mount has a similar type of thin isolator that sits between the top of the mount and the bottom of the shock tower (like the one you pictured); the rubber isolator Lexus uses goes between the bottom of the spring cap and the spring itself.