Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for a BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 06:18 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a BBK?

Dont know really enough about them.. What do I need to look for, and what is the price range? brand? what color calipers do think will look good on white?

thanks in advance?
Old 05-21-07, 06:21 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just go with the Supra TT?
Old 05-21-07, 06:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Lettuce,

I'd start off with this question for you... why do you want them?
Old 05-21-07, 06:34 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lettuce,

I'd start off with this question for you... why do you want them?
LOL...

First, they really cool//

Second, my stock ones look really small and old and rusty.

Third, My 20 inch wheels give way to much gap to look through my wheels.It looks like a "black hole"

fourth, would like some color caliper to set the car off from the rest

fifth, I dont really pay attention when Im driving and I tend follow to close, would like to stop faster, if thats what they can acheive?

sixth, I think the BBK kit will complete the look I have been trying to acheive for 4 years.

Thanks, and good question.
Old 05-21-07, 06:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

OK - so cosmetic, nothing wrong with that No, they will not make your car stop faster... the stock GS brakes are really some of the best for that already even though the pedal feel stinks. If you were on a track and/or overheating the brake such that they fade - that is something that would be improved. And your pedal feel will probably be improved as well so you'll be more confident in stopping even though you don't stop any faster.

Are your current wheels 'high disk' with room for big brakes to fit?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-21-07 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 06:39 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Okay look for.....

Lettuce,

things to look for of course is the price. A set of Rotora's will run around $1400.00, the Stoptech are crazy more expensive. Will the BBK clear your awesome set of wheels you have now is another thing to look at. The Rotora's are alot bigger width wise than the Stoptech's. Trust me on that, I learned the hard way. I don't know much as far as the Endless kit maybe someone else can chime in? Depending on what color to go with, is entirely up to you, I have the Red set on mine. Also, what size rotor do you want to go with and what pot they sell. I have the 355mm(14" disc) with the 4 pot in the front. Still on the fence for some rears. Hope that helps, and oh by the way, I bought my set from Carson's. Ask for Luis...... I don't claim to be an expert, but thought I would give my .02 cents.

-Joe
Old 05-21-07, 06:39 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Yes, I beleive so..It looks like I have a lot of room behind the face of the wheel to do whatever? Thanks for moving the the thread in the right forum,,sorry
Old 05-21-07, 06:42 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R.U. IN AW?
Lettuce,

things to look for of course is the price. A set of Rotora's will run around $1400.00, the Stoptech are crazy more expensive. Will the BBK clear your awesome set of wheels you have now is another thing to look at. The Rotora's are alot bigger width wise than the Stoptech's. Trust me on that, I learned the hard way. I don't know much as far as the Endless kit maybe someone else can chime in? Depending on what color to go with, is entirely up to you, I have the Red set on mine. Also, what size rotor do you want to go with and what pot they sell. I have the 355mm(14" disc) with the 4 pot in the front. Still on the fence for some rears. Hope that helps, and oh by the way, I bought my set from Carson's. Ask for Luis...... I don't claim to be an expert, but thought I would give my .02 cents.

-Joe

This is all foreign language to me.. I would like to have a bigger rotor Xrilled/and slotted. I like the ones that Lexus_Kid has on his? If he can chime in?
Old 05-21-07, 06:48 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Lettuce
LOL...

First, they really cool//

Second, my stock ones look really small and old and rusty.

Third, My 20 inch wheels give way to much gap to look through my wheels.It looks like a "black hole"

fourth, would like some color caliper to set the car off from the rest

fifth, I dont really pay attention when Im driving and I tend follow to close, would like to stop faster, if thats what they can acheive?

sixth, I think the BBK kit will complete the look I have been trying to acheive for 4 years.

Thanks, and good question.

If your looking for a BBk you don't wanna do it for cosmetics. It'll be more of a waste of money, but if you have that kind of money to spend for cosmetics, more power to you. Honestly you should probably paint the calipers and maybe get some slotted & cross drilled rotors. See how they look first. It might make a difference on the look. I used to have a set on my car but I was going to supercharge it. It was a pain because most people would try and race me just cause of the brakes .
Old 05-21-07, 06:49 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R.U. IN AW?
Lettuce,

-Joe
I'm pretty sure the endless are around 3500...

As for color lettuce I can't really think of a color. Black would look nice on the chrome, I think red would look to racey. I also think I nice blue would look SICK. Gold is another option as well.

Again, I am just going to throw out the Supra TT BBK. It's a direct bolt on and looks SICK. Just throw some fresh paint on them and you've save a hell of a lot of $$. Maybe then you can go air ride like we were talking about on saturday
Old 05-21-07, 06:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yes, I beleive so..It looks like I have a lot of room behind the face of the wheel to do whatever? Thanks for moving the the thread in the right forum,,sorry
I'd make certain they are 'high disk' before you make any decisions, call the place you bought them. That basically means they are built to have a lot of clearance behind the wheel.
Old 05-21-07, 06:51 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rare1
If your looking for a BBk you don't wanna do it for cosmetics. It'll be more of a waste of money, but if you have that kind of money to spend for cosmetics, more power to you. Honestly you should probably paint the calipers and maybe get some slotted & cross drilled rotors. See how they look first. It might make a difference on the look. I used to have a set on my car but I was going to supercharge it. It was a pain because most people would try and race me just cause of the brakes .

Is it possible to get just slotted and drilled rotors and then get different calipers (rotora,endless,e.t.c.?)
Old 05-21-07, 07:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Is it possible to get just slotted and drilled rotors and then get different calipers (rotora,endless,e.t.c.?)
No, not unless you want to get one of those fake (and dangerous) covers like in a recent post. You need a matched set of rotors and calipers.

It may make sense to do an incremental step and see if it works for you... get some OEM sized slotted / drilled rotors and paint your calipers with some decals. It's a lot more cost effective.
Old 05-21-07, 07:18 PM
LexFather

Dont know really enough about them.. What do I need to look for, and what is the price range? brand? what color calipers do think will look good on white?

thanks in advance?
Get off your **** and search
I will quickly go over GS upgrades
1. Slotted or drilled or both OEM size rotors with better pads, EBC for instance. Price range, Maybe about $400 for everything, front and rear?
2. Supra TT or LS 400 Brakes, 1 inch bigger in diameter, 4 pistons instead of 2. Cheapest solution to a BBK with better performance/ Maybe $600-$800 for fronts.
3. Rotara, Endless, Brembo, Stoptech, AP Racing are BBK kits with different size rotors and some with rear systems as well. Prices from $2,000-$6,000

Basically I would recommend an upgraded pad first. Pads make the biggest difference. For the look, slotted/drilled are great. If you have big rims, especially 19s and 20, a BBK just "LOOKS" better than OEM.

BBKs don't really help with stopping distances. The GS already had some of the shortest distances from any car, about 112-116ft from 60mph.

The Supra TT is a fantastic cost effective upgrade and was the shortest stopping distance brake in R&T history until the Enzo. That is what, 14 years!!

BBKs DO help with fade. Fade is when your brakes get hot and you press them and you have little to no feeling. The bigger rotors and better pads and slots/drillled holes dissipate the heat better, for short braking the first time and the 50th time. Very important for the track.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-07, 07:23 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No, not unless you want to get one of those fake (and dangerous) covers like in a recent post. You need a matched set of rotors and calipers.

It may make sense to do an incremental step and see if it works for you... get some OEM sized slotted / drilled rotors and paint your calipers with some decals. It's a lot more cost effective.
Yeah I agree with this. Just do a set of OEM cross drilled and slotted. and paint the calipers. an get some Lexus decals. It should dress it up enough to make it look good. It should bring more attention to the rotors and calipers as apposed to the empty space in between the wheels and rotors.

Quick Reply: Looking for a BBK?