Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Side to side shimmy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 07:16 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side to side shimmy!

My gs430 has a concerning side to side shimmy in the suspension. It feels like its mostly in the rear and worst when going over dips in the road at higher speeds. It happens at low speeds too, just not as bad. It bothered me enough that I ordered new lower ball joints for the front and new kyb gr-2 shocks and struts. I had them installed saturday and the shimmy is still there!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this an alignment issue since I haven't had one done since lowering. The place I went to told me there is no point in getting an alignment with the uneven wear on my tires. Is this true? Will it really throw the alignment off and make it pointless. I just want the side to side shake to go away. I bought the Toyo t1-s's used for cheap but I never imagined the wear was this bad and would have such a negative effect on my car's ride.

Can anyone relate to this issue? Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks CL!
Old 01-16-07, 08:34 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i had similar problem.
I had to replace bad ball joints at 80k, new rims to replace bent rims at 91k. Now at 94k no more shimmers.

Since you alter the suspension, i think you should do an alignment.
Old 01-17-07, 07:59 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.......Is the shimmy a sign of poor alignment? I called a local shop today and explained my situation to him and he said the alignment couldnt make the car shake, but every one else Ive spoken with has told me differently.

I guess what I really want to know is if I replace the tires, which will run me almost $1000 , will a proper alignment on even tires make my car ride smooth and handle better? Will te shimmy stop then? Somebody out there must have encountered this problem. I took the leap and started modding over the summer but now its doing a lot more harm to my car's performance than it is improving it. This is not what I was hoping for! Please give me some suggestions Thanks.
Old 01-18-07, 10:33 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to do alignment, especially after drop. Find performance shop and let them do their magic, it really helps when people who know what they're doing, make our cars back to normal.
Get your alignment done, even if your tires are worn a bit and see how it feels
Old 01-22-07, 10:26 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can relate. I had the side to side, shake/movement problem. I thought it was tires, but suspected that it should not be. I no longer have this problem, but this is what I have done. I have bilstein HD shocks, L-tuned springs, daizen castor bushings, daizen steering rack bushings. This made the shakes dissapear. Now I put on the TRD lower brace and Tom's 6-link, it is even more settled now.