Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibach Pro Kit / Bilstein Sport Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 04:41 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Pro Kit / Bilstein Sport Installed

Hi all,
It's been a long time coming. I finally went with the Eibach/Bilstein set up and am could not be happier. Here's a little write up after 4 days of spirited driving.

COST:
This set up runs about $700, which is still cheaper than any coil over system out there (this is not a bash on coil over, just a comparision).
PERFORMANCE:
Please note that I am riding on stock 17'. The ride is a little harsher than stock but not much. I can't detect any additional rattles or squeaks. Even though this set up is stiffer than stock, it seems to absorb better, too.
The handling is improved dramatically. It is a lot more firm, positive, lane change is immediate. It is very BMW like. However, it retains the luxury feel of a Lexus. It's hard to describe... But if I had to, I'd say that you'd be giving up about 10% of comfort for about 50% improvement in handling. However, since I like a sporty ride, I think this set up is an improvement over the stock ride. The infamous high way float is gone (woohoo!). No more nose dive while exsiting fast out of a curve. I have taken curves at speed that I'd never dared to do with the stock set up. I was even manage to broke the tires loose thru a corner a few times. This is some thing that I never experienced before because I have never been confident. The car is begged to be driven hard (hence my MPG in the last few days has been bad).
QUALITY:
I thought about going with KYB shocks and Eibach spring. However, upon inspection, the Bilstein was a no-brainer to me. The shocks just looked and feels sturdy. With a life time warranty from both Eibach and Bilstein to boost, I thougth spending some extra money up front was worth it.
The set up came together very nicely. The car is slightly droped. It looks more aggressive yet very understated, very OEM, which is the right look for me.
Before the installing this system, the car had more fender gap in the front wheels than the rears. The Eibach springs are advertised to give a 1" drop all around. However, after installation, the front of the car now seems to have about the same gap as the rears. I'm not sure if the Eibach fronts are softer than the rears or not. This is a pleasant supprise and I'll take it!
My camber checked out fine. Both front and back have slightly negative values but within specs.

I have been waiting for a long time before deciding on this set up. I have probably read every single thread there is in this forum about the related subject. In the end, I think I made the right decision. Thanks to CL members. I have learned a great deals about my car from you guys. I am proud to be a member of this family.

Last edited by blue99GS4; 11-27-06 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 10:35 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Shocks and springs

I had that setup and it was better than stock.
I agree 100% with your review.

However when I would go over a bridge joint,
the back end would skip or hop. I found this very un-settleing.
I ended up selling them and the buyer complained of the same thing.

Have coilovers now and don't have that problem.
Coilovers are more money but I think they give a more controlled ride.

Ivan
3dog
Old 11-30-06, 10:37 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

question for both of you guys - how much did you cut your bump stops?
Old 11-30-06, 02:28 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Red face Bump stop

Originally Posted by cliffud
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what a bump stop is?

Ivan
3dog
Old 11-30-06, 03:00 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

the bump stop is located at the top of the shock where the shock meets the assembly that connects it to the car. it is a very hard piece of rubber and it needs to be cut to ensure you have a little more travel since the lowering springs have already compressed the shock at a state of rest.

cut too much and the shock could damages/hit the assembly. cut too little and the shock will not have enough room to travel and you will notice an abrupt bump when going over bumps that are too large for the small space to handle.

Your installer would know how much of the bumpstop was cut.
Old 11-30-06, 03:17 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Eibach/Bilstein Set Up.

I also used to have this set up. I was very happy with this set set up and also agree with your write up. It did seem to drop the car more than the inch.
Here is a pic when I had them on the car.

If I did not get such a good deal on the Tein coilovers, I would probably still have this set up.

Cliff,
If I remember right, the Bilsteins came with new bump stops. And I don't remember having to cut them either. I installed them myself.
-Will

Last edited by TAMR_GUS98; 11-30-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 03:20 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

My Bilstein did not come with the bump stops. I did not cut my stock ones. I am happy with the ride. I haven't notice and hop in the rear end.
Nice looking Green GS!
Old 11-30-06, 03:26 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Red face Sorry to HiJack the Thread.

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
My Bilstein did not come with the bump stops. I did not cut my stock ones. I am happy with the ride. I haven't notice and hop in the rear end.
Nice looking Green GS!

Thanks for the complement Blue.
Here, check this out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251404 Just did a photo shoot today.
Old 11-30-06, 03:38 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Nice pics, TAM. I was actually thinking about getting rims for my car. However, looking at your pics, I realized that the chrome stock 17' don't look that bad. You might have saved me some money (which is a rare thing in this forum!).
Thanks.
Old 11-30-06, 04:00 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Red face Sorry AGAIN, For HiJacking The Thread!!

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
Nice pics, TAM. I was actually thinking about getting rims for my car. However, looking at your pics, I realized that the chrome stock 17' don't look that bad. You might have saved me some money (which is a rare thing in this forum!).
Thanks.
Thanks again Blue. Glad I could save you some $$$$$$$$$$$ LOL
-Will
Old 11-30-06, 07:42 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile bump stop

cut too little and the shock will not have enough room to travel and you will notice an abrupt bump when going over bumps that are too large for the small space to handle.

This is probably what happened with my car.

I did not install them myself and the tech who did has moved out of the area.

That kind of solves a mystery for me anyway.

Thanks for the information

Ivan
3dog
Old 12-01-06, 01:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

just take the car to a shop and have them tear the shocks down, cut the bump stops, and then rebuild them. it'll feel A LOT better!!