Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
Hey I just looked on the TM Engineering site and don't see those listed.

How did you find out that these were available?

Ivan
3dog
this mod is very new, just came out around 1 month ago?
Old 11-05-06, 09:02 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,great written up..i have to complete this mod. I just got control arm, sway bar bushing, tie rod and ball join...
Old 11-05-06, 01:06 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a set of Blistein struts / Tanabe springs - Daizen sways - Tein front/rear strut bars - Daizen upper/lower bushing kit - ball joints and tie rods....might as well finish off the suspension with this mod
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-05-06, 07:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Gsteg -- I'm impressed. Great write up. I doubt I'd ever do this myself for fear that the steering wheel would come off in my hands driving on the highway, but your post made me think twice about it. Great job.

e
Old 11-10-06, 10:02 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I'm going to do this mod; I'm calling them in the morning.
Old 11-11-06, 07:47 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Bushings

Hey I ordered them on the 3rd of Nov and they showed up on the 8th not bad.
Looking forward to getting them put on.

Ivan
3dog
Old 11-11-06, 09:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh yea..I dont know about you guys, but everytime I work on my car, I re-grease my bolts. When I took out the bolts for the steering rack, they didn't exactly look corrosion-free (not too bad though), but I put grease on it just incase I need to take it apart again ($3 of valvoline grease comes a long way)
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 11:00 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Oh yea..I dont know about you guys, but everytime I work on my car, I re-grease my bolts. When I took out the bolts for the steering rack, they didn't exactly look corrosion-free (not too bad though), but I put grease on it just incase I need to take it apart again ($3 of valvoline grease comes a long way)
Yup, that's what i always do too..
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 12:15 PM
FuzzyMD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine today, thanks GSteg, the steps you showed was right on!

Althought I did run into a probelm that took me extra 30 minutes to finish this job, details are follow

1) try not to use ramps

- the reason being that the weight on the fronts put loads on the tie-rod ends(the tie-rod ends are connected to the steering rack), so it limits the movement on the racks, I had tourble doing steps 6 because of this, no way I could move/pull the steering rack low enought to put the plier through the upper bushing (from the front of the car)

so I end up having to put the plier from the rear of the car, what a pain! it has so little room to get the bushing out

2) remove all the bushings before putting new ones in

- I tried to install the new passenger side bushing before removing the 2 driver side 17mm bolts,it is much easier to install it after the rack can be move around

also when install the passenger side bushing, it's much easier to put the bushing on the metal bracket first then slide both to the rack together

hope this help someone avoid the mistakes that i made
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 12:52 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

okay folks

i did mine this morning took me maybe 30 mins tops to do

the DIY that GSteg gave was great to use but i would like to add alittle time and effort saver here

seeing that you cant reuse the old bushings once they are out i took a real sharp box cutter and cut off the ears on the oem bushing form the side i was using the mallet and screwdriver against.. why try and fight making the lip pop thru when once you cut the ears off and hit it lightly a couple three times it just pops out , for the upper drivers side same thing but i used a 6inch 3/8 extension to use with my mallet and again poped right out

this is a great thing to do to eliminate all slop and whatever remaing vibrations were in the front end , my car now truly tracks straight as a arrow ( and my So3 bridgestones are almost done and those who know these tires know they tramline like crazy when worn) no more correcting the steering to go staright just plain smooth

steering wheel kickback is 95% gone like how a brand new car feels

my fellow gs er's get this $40 kit , it really works well

Last edited by lexforlife; 11-11-06 at 01:46 PM.
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 01:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the write ups guys. I wonder if my car would benefit from this yet? it only has 35k miles and still feels tight with no vibrations.
Old 11-11-06, 03:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

great tip guys! Yea I forgot to mention that you'll want to remove all the bushings before putting in the new ones.

I guess I didn't need to cut the old bushing out because they were so soft, it only took 4 or so hit before they popped out.

I tried to write that DIY off the top of my head. I'll re-edit my original post with tips.

thanks guys!
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 03:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckb
thanks for the write ups guys. I wonder if my car would benefit from this yet? it only has 35k miles and still feels tight with no vibrations.
Test it. have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the car at the steering rack. If it moves more than it should, then its time to replace. but with only 35k miles, who knows what's under there.
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)
Old 11-11-06, 06:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

The stock Bushings on the Control arms and Steering rack are rubber. I know if you use the hard bushing on the Control arms you will get a hard stiff ride because is does not absorb the shock on bumps.

Will these steering bushing have anything to do with the ride quality as far as stiffness or only steering feel ?
Old 11-11-06, 07:06 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
The stock Bushings on the Control arms and Steering rack are rubber. I know if you use the hard bushing on the Control arms you will get a hard stiff ride because is does not absorb the shock on bumps.

Will these steering bushing have anything to do with the ride quality as far as stiffness or only steering feel ?

actually the lower control arm bushings do not degrade the ride

the steering rack bushing imo actually improved the feel of the car giving me the sensation of more smoothness and comfort for the car tracks truer
LSUGS430 (11-17-22)

Quick Reply: DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing