Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are the L-Tuned shocks supposed to be stiffer than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 12:45 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are the L-Tuned shocks supposed to be stiffer than stock?

Finally had time to install the suspension today. Anyways, the L-Tuned shocks that I have here, are weak... I can easily push the rod down no problem with one hand.

The Koni's aka Bilstein on my Supra was like mighty hard even at the softest setting.

I was just curious. I guess they are supposed to be harder, but it feels SUPER DUPER soft.

BTW - here's some crappy cell phone pics. L-Tuned shocks and Espelir Springs. It's supposed to lower the fronts 1.8", but I don't see it being any lowered...

Before:

After:
Old 10-31-06, 12:54 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they brand new or used? If brand new then you have to let the shocks and springs settle. I have L-Tuned shocks that I just took off and I wasn't able to push the rod down?!?! The Espilars are pretty low for some springs but with the help of the L Tuned shocks the ride is nice and smoooooth. I actually miss it now that I installed some Tein HA's. In the last few months I've owned my GS I've had 4 different suspension set ups.

1. KYB GR2s on B&G springs
2. Tanabe Sustec Pro w/helper springs
3. L Tuned shocks w/Espilar springs
current: Tein HA d u m p e d !

I honestly miss the L Tuned set up the most. The ride was soo acceptable with it being so low. But nothing beats stock, but all those suspensions sure beat that nasty wheel gap haah.

If the springs are used then I don't know why you would be able to push the rod in, un less the L Tuned shocks are super duper soft. But the set I have I'm not able to push them in at all!

Hope this helped and good luck!
Old 10-31-06, 01:07 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure if you have me confused, or whatever.

This is with the shock disassembled from the spring. Of course with the spring/shock installed, I can't push it down.

Yea I got these springs because the drop was supposed to be good. They are still too soft for me though. I notice that it bounces often on the highway, lol. Maybe I feel this way from being used to my Supra?
Old 10-31-06, 01:12 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Oh so you are refering to it being ON the car. O0ps, I meant with it off and even with them on my car I wasn't able to push them down to much. The ride is a 'little bouncy' but its not bad at all. I think you are use to your Supra, haha. So what now you gonna sell them?!
Old 10-31-06, 01:19 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, mix up again x2? Haha...

No I was jsut referring to the shock by ITSELF. I was able to push the rod down no problems.

Btw - do the l-tuned shocks have any markings on them? Mine were just black with nothing written on it like the stockers.
Old 10-31-06, 02:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

L-tuned shocks are suppose to be the european aristo's shocks. They're a bit firmer than the USDM, but still soft. I have the KYB GR-2 (same as l-tuned) and I can easily compress the shocks with my hands. They're built for comfort more than sports, hence why you feel the float on the freeway.

If I could do it all over again, I would get the Bilstein shocks instead of the KYB. They're just too soft and I still have a good amount of body roll.
Old 10-31-06, 02:42 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

From what I understand, it takes a few weeks for everything to stiffen up. I know this is the case more for the springs, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck
Old 10-31-06, 05:18 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Finally had time to install the suspension today. Anyways, the L-Tuned shocks that I have here, are weak... I can easily push the rod down no problem with one hand.

The Koni's aka Bilstein on my Supra was like mighty hard even at the softest setting.

I was just curious. I guess they are supposed to be harder, but it feels SUPER DUPER soft.
firstly, the L-Tuned shocks are the stock shocks (Lexus spec) that are installed on the European version ... these are only slightly (20%? ) stiffer than the US version. Koni and Bilstein are aftermarket specs and people that buy aftermarket shocks expect more firmer rides.

secondly, every shock application is valved (demping characterics) differently, and pushing the piston rod down once (slowly) will not give you a good impression of the stiffness of a shock. Actual shock piston travel is much faster than your manual test.

Try pushing it faster (e.g. piston travel movement of 1 feet/ sec) , which is more realistic ... You won't be able to push it in anymore
Old 10-31-06, 08:42 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

LOL my bad! I was able to push the rod in too when the springs were off the shocks. My shocks also look simular to stock.