Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake pad adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 08:04 AM
roostinds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad adjusting

Never heard if it but when I took the gs430 in this is what they told me. It only happens when i am reversing or i start to move and then make a sudden stop i hear a click. They told me that it was a poor design of the gs and is braking system. They say it is the brake pad adjusting. I think it is bs but i don't know. no other car that i have ever had has done that. Anyone else experience this problem??
Old 06-16-06, 08:07 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you could try and do is give your brakes a good cleaning and maybe replace the springs that keep the pads in the calipers. You shouldn't be able to hear the pads shifting around in there. Try different pads as well while your in there.
Old 06-16-06, 08:18 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have read this a couple times when I was researching how to do my brakes for the first time. It's not BS and there is actually a "fit kit" you can purchase. Someone posted the Lexus part# on here at some point in time because I saved the info when I was researching in case I needed it. But my hard drive in my computer burnt out and I lost a lot of info and links I had saved.

Here is a link from the GS model info, here is your problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/1940/1/180/

Read the pdf file in the link how to fix. I recently did my brakes a couple months ago and I put anti seize lubricant on the exact locations Lexus says to in the pdf and I have absolutely no brake noises at all. Some CL members gave me this tip when I did my brakes.

Good Luck

Last edited by GUNRU-GS4; 06-16-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 08:09 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by roostinds
Never heard if it but when I took the gs430 in this is what they told me. It only happens when i am reversing or i start to move and then make a sudden stop i hear a click. They told me that it was a poor design of the gs and is braking system. They say it is the brake pad adjusting. I think it is bs but i don't know. no other car that i have ever had has done that. Anyone else experience this problem??
There are actually quite a few threads about this. It's completely normal. Annoying, but normal.
Old 06-16-06, 08:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not a problem. They just designed a little bit of leeway so the pads are easier to change. I haven't changed the pads on the GS yet, but if its anything like the supra brakes. You don't have to swing out the caliper to change the pads. They are directly removable from the top.