Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pads for Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 01:33 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Big Brakes

Ok CL dudes, I'm looking for recommendations on brake pads for StopTech big brakes. I'm going to do a 4 wheel big brake kit ( 355mm ) for my GS and I've been told that the Axxis pads that typically come with the StopTech's are somewhat noisy and put out a fair amount of brake dust. I know I'll be giving up some of the braking power with 'lesser' pads, but quieter and cleaner pads appeal to me since I'm sure I'll still have plenty of braking power even with the quieter, cleaner pads. Opinions needed. Thanks
Old 08-06-04, 01:57 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can stay with the Axxis pads but just "step down". The Ultimates are hard, produce lots of dust, and are harsh on the rotors. They stop like though. Some have stepped down to the Metal Masters and are happy with them. I went all the way down to the Deluxe Plus. Stopping is still better than stock but minimal dust. I know I gave up on braking power but it was a good compromise for me since this is my daily driver.

Man, it sounds like you are building quite a monster of a GS there.
Old 08-06-04, 02:05 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Thanks Neo, that's the kind of input I was looking for. Hoping to have the car 'together' by the end of August. CL has been the best, helping me make informed decisions on my car. I know I'll be happy with the results. My car is also a daily driver, so the little things do make a difference ( like less dust and quieter braking ).
Old 08-06-04, 03:15 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, what neo said. I have the Metal Masters on my daily driver and I'm much happier. Still a bit of noise and dust but not bad.
Old 08-06-04, 03:20 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So of all the Axis pads which ones have the least amount of dust? I have the Ultimates on the F and R and Im tired of cleaning my rims ever 4 days.
Old 08-06-04, 04:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pads for Big Brakes

Originally posted by TeeLex
Ok CL dudes, I'm looking for recommendations on brake pads for StopTech big brakes. I'm going to do a 4 wheel big brake kit ( 355mm ) for my GS and I've been told that the Axxis pads that typically come with the StopTech's are somewhat noisy and put out a fair amount of brake dust. I know I'll be giving up some of the braking power with 'lesser' pads, but quieter and cleaner pads appeal to me since I'm sure I'll still have plenty of braking power even with the quieter, cleaner pads. Opinions needed. Thanks
personally, i suggest getting the ebc green stuff. personally i have them on my ap racing brakes, and so does rmmgs4, and we both like it. i don't know how it compares to axis though, but the green stuff has almost no dust at all, so i can't complain. and while it doesn't stop as aggressive as my pigid anymore, i am happy
Old 08-06-04, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
You can stay with the Axxis pads but just "step down". The Ultimates are hard, produce lots of dust, and are harsh on the rotors. They stop like though. Some have stepped down to the Metal Masters and are happy with them. I went all the way down to the Deluxe Plus. Stopping is still better than stock but minimal dust. I know I gave up on braking power but it was a good compromise for me since this is my daily driver.

Man, it sounds like you are building quite a monster of a GS there.
actually neo, yes, while they stop so much better, but for the first few mins or stops, they are horrible. that's the thing with high performance brakes. they heated up, they stop in a dime, but when cold, they don't know what stopping really is. i live about 5 miles away from work. when i had my old pigid racing pads, usually by the time i got back to office the brakes are still pretty bad, i had to start stopping sooner. but when i drive 300 miles trip, by the end of the trip, i tap the brakes and you want to make sure you are not drinking anything already.
Old 08-06-04, 06:12 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Brake Pads for Big Brakes

Originally posted by TeeLex
Ok CL dudes, I'm looking for recommendations on brake pads for StopTech big brakes.
Stoptech is using the Porsche pads with their calipers, except the Axxis pads, you can also try to go for the Mintex C-Tech 1144 Bluebox(Street performance pads) or the Mintex Redbox (better than stock). Both generate little dust.
Old 08-06-04, 10:56 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What kind pads do Rotora use? Are they a stock cars pads? I mean Size wise. Will any GS bake pad fit in them but 2 pairs sorry i guess im still a newb
Old 08-06-04, 11:26 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GammaLex
What kind pads do Rotora use? Are they a stock cars pads? I mean Size wise. Will any GS bake pad fit in them but 2 pairs sorry i guess im still a newb
I'm not sure what brand they use but they should not be stock size. You pay for a bigger caliper which includes more surface area to grip the rotors. The BBKs should be using something larger.

Originally posted by rominl
actually neo, yes, while they stop so much better, but for the first few mins or stops, they are horrible.
Good call. I forgot about that. I don't have this problem with my Deluxe Plus.

personally, i suggest getting the ebc green stuff.
When I got mine installed, Todd could not find the appropriate size for the EBC. This is partly why we went with the Deluxe Plus. After hearing some members not liking the EBC greens, it sounds like there are conditions where the EBCs are not that great for dust. I guess someone out there could also have similar bad results with the Axxis but I don't have any regrets on not being able to put EBC greens on the car.
Old 08-07-04, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

actually neo, yes, while they stop so much better, but for the first few mins or stops, they are horrible.
Henry I gotta disagree. My Axxis Ultimates stop on a dime even when cold. Now I've noticed they can be less effective when they're cold AND it's pouring with rain - I think the pads kind of 'slip' over the rotor, but again, once warmed up (after a few minutes) they're all over it again.
Old 08-07-04, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Henry I gotta disagree. My Axxis Ultimates stop on a dime even when cold. Now I've noticed they can be less effective when they're cold AND it's pouring with rain - I think the pads kind of 'slip' over the rotor, but again, once warmed up (after a few minutes) they're all over it again.
dunno, i can only speak of my pigids. but even redgs4 he said the same thing about his?
Old 08-07-04, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
I'm not sure what brand they use but they should not be stock size. You pay for a bigger caliper which includes more surface area to grip the rotors. The BBKs should be using something larger.

Good call. I forgot about that. I don't have this problem with my Deluxe Plus.

When I got mine installed, Todd could not find the appropriate size for the EBC. This is partly why we went with the Deluxe Plus. After hearing some members not liking the EBC greens, it sounds like there are conditions where the EBCs are not that great for dust. I guess someone out there could also have similar bad results with the Axxis but I don't have any regrets on not being able to put EBC greens on the car.
well, dunno, personally so far what i heard about the ebc green stuff i can't understand them at all
Old 08-07-04, 11:24 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dunno, i can only speak of my pigids. but even redgs4 he said the same thing about his?
The ultimates worked fine cold, better when warm. But they squeaked something awful until warmed up and dusted heavily all the time. And I could never keep them warm in stop and go driving, so I was squeaking everywhere.
Old 08-09-04, 05:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am running whatever pads StopTech normally includes in their 14" kit. If I recall, they are the Axxis Metal Master in a Porsche 993 pad configuration (their ST-40 calipers are configured for the 993 pad so you have a good choice of pad materials to choose from). The Axxis: NO dust, NO squeaking! I love 'em!!

I drive my StopTech-equipped GS 400 over 100 miles a day, and even after a week of driving the wheels are still clean. The cold braking performance is terrific and the warm/hot braking performance is insane. Need to slow down from 110 to 60? Just push the pedal down a bit. Great reserves of braking power, incredibly confidence inspiring- these things are awesome!

One note: you'll need to adjust your driving style if you switch back to a vehicle with 'regular' brakes- the StopTechs are THAT GOOD.

One note: I bought the cross-drilled rotors because I wanted the look (I use my car as a daily driver AND a show car). The X-drilled rotors make a slight 'whooshing' sound if you are driving next to a center barrier with the windows down (with the windows up they are inaudible). I was aware of this because I have a similar set-up on my MR2. If you are concerned about noise, I would recommend the slotted rotors for your StopTech kit.

If in doubt about the pads for your StopTech kit, call them! They are VERY sharp individuals, and a great bunch of guys!

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-09-04 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Big Brakes