Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I was warned..GS float

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 08:13 PM
Lvangundy

Default I was warned..GS float

Someone tried to convince me about how floaty the GS was, but I just couldn't accept the truth since I was so enamored with the car at the time.

Now that I have one and have driven it for a week, the car just inspires unspirited driving. I'm doing 35 around town and 65 on the freeway. The GS is a BOAT!! Battlestar Galatica..

I hop in the IS and I'm flying around corners and having a blast driving the car. I didn't realize how much fun the IS was until I got back into something bigger.

Is it remotly possible to make the GS handle anything like the IS? The only reason I'm so very hesitant about selling the IS is it's fun factor. The GS MOVES in a straight line..I love the power and luxury, but it's quite boring.

I know from experience in my LS400 how crappy the ride became after I dropped it. Not to mention the creaks and increased wear on the car. I don't want to lead my GS in that same path. I'm guessing sway bars, f/r STBs and underbody frames are my best bet. I might someday consider a 1" drop for looks, but I can tell how bad it's going to drive after that.

The new DSR front STB looks like a good option since the engine cover can stay (yes, I know it does nothing but look nice) but there seems to be issues with it clearing the hood properly. I'd rather stick with TRD/TOM`s parts with this car and keep it in the family.

Any input?
Old 06-22-05, 08:21 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A set of lowering springs or set of coilovers will get rid of the float. Most people here on CL seem
to have Tein CS coilovers or Ltuned springs.
Old 06-22-05, 09:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do you want to spend and how tight of a ride do you want? I would start with coilovers and sways to see if that is enough. There is always more bracing to add.

One thing, though. The GS can be made to handle VERY well BUT it is still a 3800lbs car. It will not be as nimble as a smaller, lighter car.
Old 06-23-05, 02:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

don't settle for anything besides coilover man
Old 06-23-05, 07:14 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For right around $2000 the boat will turn into a car that can take any turn at any speed.
Old 06-23-05, 08:21 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
For right around $2000 the boat will turn into a car that can take any turn at any speed.
I agree, I have the L-tuned system and I can definitely cruise thru most turns at high speed w/o much problem. Although I hear the Tein's are a better setup but not sure what the price difference is.
Old 06-23-05, 08:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Someone tried to convince me about how floaty the GS was, but I just couldn't accept the truth since I was so enamored with the car at the time.

Now that I have one and have driven it for a week, the car just inspires unspirited driving. I'm doing 35 around town and 65 on the freeway. The GS is a BOAT!! Battlestar Galatica..

I hop in the IS and I'm flying around corners and having a blast driving the car. I didn't realize how much fun the IS was until I got back into something bigger.

Is it remotly possible to make the GS handle anything like the IS? The only reason I'm so very hesitant about selling the IS is it's fun factor. The GS MOVES in a straight line..I love the power and luxury, but it's quite boring.

I know from experience in my LS400 how crappy the ride became after I dropped it. Not to mention the creaks and increased wear on the car. I don't want to lead my GS in that same path. I'm guessing sway bars, f/r STBs and underbody frames are my best bet. I might someday consider a 1" drop for looks, but I can tell how bad it's going to drive after that.

The new DSR front STB looks like a good option since the engine cover can stay (yes, I know it does nothing but look nice) but there seems to be issues with it clearing the hood properly. I'd rather stick with TRD/TOM`s parts with this car and keep it in the family.

Any input?

read my sig , coils can be either teins , hks, jic or bilstein but the rest in my sig is essential to making a real canyon carver even though the car is 3800lbs but with good sways and braces the car tends to feel like i shed 500lbs or so
Old 06-23-05, 11:13 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

As said above, L Tune suspension/springs will help some and sways definitely help body roll.....but if you want real handling, go with coilovers, sways, Tom's lower chassis braces and 6 link, and strut top bars. Then your GS will have an entirely different feel, much tighter and more precise. Coilovers like the Tein CS are actually better relative to comfort than the stock set-up ( of course on the 'softer' damping settings ). Stock, the GS float is definitely a turn-off.
Old 06-23-05, 11:57 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

With the right suspension you won't ever want to drive the IS again so chose wisely. Once the float is gone and you tighten her up she really does feel like a lighter car.

P.S. All I have is L-Tuned setup and front STB and I thought driving the IS rental I had was slow and boring... car needs more HP.
Old 06-23-05, 12:49 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my stock suspension setup there was float but since a couple days ago when I put on the L-Tuned shocks/springs I was amazed the 1st time I drove it! It was like it drove on rails (no float) and is much better. Ride is like stock if not better (but I have 16's) and no noises like several people seem to complain about.
Old 06-23-05, 08:11 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

*** shameless plug ***

This will help too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167278

*** end plug ***

Old 06-24-05, 08:36 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the gs is float...i wish they made the rear of the gs a little stiffer...stock wise...a little more road feel would be tight...which is the reason why i changed my suspension to the tein cs
Old 06-24-05, 03:36 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
*** shameless plug ***

This will help too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167278

*** end plug ***

lol neo that was low !!
Old 06-24-05, 03:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Lee, sorry to say but with all the Toms & TRD chassis bracing and stiff coilovers you put on any GS, it will never outhandle an IS in stock form and especially in modded form. Sure you maybe able to beat the IS on an uphill or straight line run, but when it comes to the twisties, the GS' chassis will limit the fun. I realize that more and more with the Solara. Fast straight line car hence 5 speed manual V6, but a boat to drive! The GS and IS are definitely two different cars for two different purposes. If I had a choice, i'd sell the Solara and get a GS4 for the cruising/long trips and keep the IS for fun driving.

Oh btw, i'm on Tein CS on my IS now. It performs much better than stock suspension.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-24-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 04:22 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Lee, sorry to say but with all the Toms & TRD chassis bracing and stiff coilovers you put on any GS, it will never outhandle an IS in stock form and especially in modded form. Sure you maybe able to beat the IS on an uphill or straight line run, but when it comes to the twisties, the GS' chassis will limit the fun. I realize that more and more with the Solara. Fast straight line car hence 5 speed manual V6, but a boat to drive! The GS and IS are definitely two different cars for two different purposes. If I had a choice, i'd sell the Solara and get a GS4 for the cruising/long trips and keep the IS for fun driving.

Oh btw, i'm on Tein CS on my IS now. It performs much better than stock suspension.
i will respectfully disagree

with proper control of subframe and chassis bracing with good staggered wheels can and will keep up with a simalar modded is , i know for a fact for have all of the above bracing and coils and stagg wheels and have run with is and always able to run comfortably with them all

many have also driven with me and can attest to this fact

Quick Reply: I was warned..GS float