Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Shocks Needed????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 11:55 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Shocks Needed????

Guys-

I need advice. My wife's 98 GS4 is becoming very "floaty" for lack of a better term, and, I think it is time for new shocks all the way around. My question are, and please excuse my ignorance...

1) Do I need to replace the shocks and the springs on all four corners? Are the called struts?

2) Is the cost for the OEM replacements plus install gonna run less or more than buying CS Coilovers? You know where I am going here...

3) When calling Carson to check the OEM prices to do this replacement, what are these components called?

Thanks in advance for the help-

Doug

PS-My car which is the same year as her's does not feel nearly as unstable at 75-80+ as her's/
Old 06-25-04, 01:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: New Shocks Needed????

Originally posted by GS4DOUGIE
Guys-

I need advice. My wife's 98 GS4 is becoming very "floaty" for lack of a better term, and, I think it is time for new shocks all the way around. My question are, and please excuse my ignorance...

1) Do I need to replace the shocks and the springs on all four corners? Are the called struts?

2) Is the cost for the OEM replacements plus install gonna run less or more than buying CS Coilovers? You know where I am going here...

3) When calling Carson to check the OEM prices to do this replacement, what are these components called?

Thanks in advance for the help-

Doug

PS-My car which is the same year as her's does not feel nearly as unstable at 75-80+ as her's/
You'll probably get answers with prices sooner or later. I think it was Colin Chapman who developed the first strut suspensions and in those, the shock/spring assembly was also a structural member of the suspension and was called a strut. In a traditional double wishbone suspension, the shock and spring are not structural members but jost provide damping and suspension compliance. Modern suspensions have blurred the lines all over the place. In the GS, the shock absorber is mounted inside the coil spring and provides the perches that hold the spring. The coil spring and shock absorber are one unit and get removed together and installed together. When you install new shock absorbers, the springs have to be taken off the original shock and transferred to the new shock. If you just replace springs, the shocks have to come out as well. If you get a coilover setup, neither the old shock nor spring are used. Labor is a dead heat either way. If the coilover comes with the spring already installed, it is less labor as you don't have to mount the new spring. Modern suspensions, especially multilink rear suspensions, really blur the distinction between shock and strut but for most purposes, if people are talking about replacing a strut, they are talking about the shock absorber, so you needn't get too concerned about terminology. This is really a simple explanation and it doesn't apply to all cars but for the GS, you really are talking about a shock absorber. Every GS has the spring over the shock absorber so just calling something a coilover is not very accurate, every GS has coilovers. But here, people are referring to coilovers as a shock/spring assembly (may or may not have spring [ride height] adjustability - the Bilstein PSS comes in adjustable and non adjustable with only the non adjustable available for the GS unless they have brought out a new model) usually with adjustable spring perches to adjust the ride height.

Labor should be the same for either a shock replacement or a 'coilover' installation - same amount of work. Now replacing a stock shock at the Lexus dealer and paying Lexus dealer prices may be more than going to someone else, but the labor is the same. The stock Lexus shock should be cheaper than an aftermarket but it probably isn't because it says Lexus on it. Then again, when you buy a coilover you are buying the spring too and if you go with just the shock replacement, you aren't paying for new springs. Lexus/Toyota may have built the car but they bought the shock absorbers from somebody. I think people have said the l tuned are from KYB, don't know if anyone knows who makes the OEM shocks.

You can replace less than all four shocks but be sure to do pairs, fronts or rears. But if the ride got a lot worse on your wife's car and you get under and look at it, chances are the outside of one or more of the shocks will look like some water has run over it and stained it. That isn't a water stain, it is oil from the inside of the shock. When they leak the oil out, they aren't going to work anymore. And unless you are really strapped for cash, I would replace them all. Treat it as a sign.
Old 06-25-04, 04:25 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good explaination Ron, thanks!
Old 06-25-04, 06:03 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default Roger That---thanks ron

So I just replace the actual shocks? Or do the springs also need to be replaced? Do they come as a complete unit?? And when calling to cost these items I just ask for 98 GS4 shocks? Source labor at a reputable shop and go from there, eh. Good deal, I'll call Monday and do my cost analysis.

Lookin for the OEM gig (parts+labor) to exceed with the cost and installation of Tein CS...wink, wink, you know what I mean.

Thanks for the replies-

Doug
Old 06-25-04, 06:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yo Doug, you might as well dump it... you know you want to lower that puppy!

You can got the conventional route, with springs & shocks, or the coilover route, wich comes with the optimized shocks (with adjustable spring perch) and coil springs. The labor is about the same to replace either just the shocks (struts), just the springs, or the shock(strut)/spring combo.

Also, you'll want to get a four-wheel alignment done after everyhing is done.

BTW, what tire pressures are you running? If the pressures are too low or too high you can experience some strangeness....
Old 06-25-04, 06:32 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Thanks Bob. You know where my heads at.

I think we're running 36F and 35-36 in the rears. When I bought these wheels they has used rubber, and not so even wear. So there's gonna be that expense as well.

But that is not a concern now as they (tires) seem to have poor outside wear on the fronts only. That wouldn't be responsible for the "boat" like feel the car has over dips at 80 mph with passengers would it? Rubber is next in line tho-

Doug
Old 06-25-04, 08:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

That stomach turning freeway float is not from alignment. Alignment can affect a lot of steering feel and whether the thing goes straight down the road without constant attention but the freeway float is mainly springs and shocks. Regardless of the route you take, shocks with the old springs, shocks with new springs, or adjustable coilovers, the labor should be very close. A shop might put a few more bucks in to cover their costs in adjusting to get the lowered height the way you want it, but that should be very minor. Actual labor with any of the approaches is the same.

Good luck.