Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Auto Leveling after Coilover Installed

Old 02-03-04, 09:28 AM
Lex2Go
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto Leveling after Coilover Installed

I got a question, after I got my Tein CS installed I could hear the motor of the auto leveling trying to adjust the headlight quit often alot more than before the Tein. I'm wondering does lowering the car effect the auto leveling system at all. And also does having the rear adjusted 1/2 inch higher then the front cause this. I can hear the motor adjusting but I don't notice the light moving all at. Can someone help.

Thanks,
Lex2Go
Old 02-03-04, 10:25 AM
ligflava
Driver

wow, i've never heard my autoleveling motor in my gs before. are you sure it's the autoleveling motor and not your master cylinder pressurizing? well, if it is your autoleveling, and your car is higher in the back than the front, you can adjust your headlight using the adjustment screws visible once you open your hood. on the gs, there are leveling indicators (the kind you see in the levels you buy at a hardware store) which will tell you if you are properly adjusting the headlight, just make sure you're parked on level ground.

all in all, i don't believe a lowered car will cause problems in autoleveling. unless the stiffened ride is causing your car to "bounce" around a lot more, which might cause more QUICK dives and squats. In theory, that might confuse the autoleveling because by the time the front-end dive is sensed, your car is already squating due to rebound (and vice versa).

good luck.
Old 02-03-04, 10:28 AM
Lex2Go
Driver

hmmmm...master cylinder pressurizing? Does this have anything to with the brake because I hear a motorize sound when I press on the brake or slam on the brake?
Old 02-03-04, 10:37 AM
ligflava
Driver

very likely it's the electronic motor pressurizing the master cylinder. sometimes you'll hear this sound even when you're not stepping on the brake. i think it's set to pressurize or keep the master cylinder at a certain pressure periodically. if you usually hear the sound louder on the driver side, i'd lean toward a master cylinder pressurizing sound. if you hear the sound equally on both sides, then perhaps it is an autoleveling motor. but to be honest, i've never heard my autoleveling motor at all.

hope this helps.

p.s. yes, the master cylinder is brake related. to simplify, it basically helps to build hydralic brake fluid pressure so your brake calipers will squeeze the rotor with sufficient force to stop your car.

Last edited by ligflava; 02-03-04 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 10:49 AM
Lex2Go
Driver

Thanks alot ligflava, come to think about it the sound seen like to come from the behind the steering wheel. I didn't pay much attention to car and sound before until I installed the Tein CS, I wanted to see if I hear any clicking from the suspension but no clicking just some motoring sound when I hit the brake.

Does this mean I need to change the brake pad soon? The questions keep coming, sorry guys.

Lex2Go
Old 02-03-04, 11:01 AM
ligflava
Driver

it's a normal sound to hear. some gs owners call it an annoyance. it doesn't mean you need brake pads. i think your dealer will warn you to put on new pads before it gets to a critical level. and if it does wear down, you'll hear them squeal because i believe they have a little tab that scrapes against the rotor and makes a loud squeal when you apply the brakes.

no worries Lex2go. hope i can help.
Old 02-03-04, 11:35 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try parking your car on a slope....then have someone else start your car and turn on the headlights....you will notice the auto-leveling motor adjust itself. Not sure if this is the same sound you hear.
Old 02-03-04, 11:48 AM
ligflava
Driver

good point PHML. what's even more dramatic is to have your headlights on before you start the car. then once you start the car, the autolevel will go through one up and down cycle. you can see this even when your car is parked on a flat area. so park in your garage, turn on your headlights, and start the car. you'll see the light pattern on the wall move. it's cool. sometimes i leave my headlighst in the automode, so at night, when i start my car, the lights come on automatically, and i can see the autoleveling motors working.
Old 02-03-04, 11:58 AM
Lex2Go
Driver

I'll try this tonite when I get off work...Thanks
Old 02-05-04, 11:57 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

So THATS what that damn noise is!!!!! The master cylinder pressurizing!! I figured it was something with the brakes, but couldnt put my finger on it!!!