Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

? about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03, 06:42 AM
SkyHigh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about lowering

I’ve noticed the majority of members have lowered their cars; does it affect the smooth ride of the OEM suspension? That’s one of the reasons I bought a GS.
Old 11-08-03, 04:51 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Depending on the aftermarket lowering unit you choose will depend on wether your smooth ride stays in existence.

L-Tuned and eibachs springs will offer a stock like ride with a 1-1.2" drop.

If your going the coilover route, I would go with Tein CS or the Apex-i (I think the Apex-i are close to stock, but I am sure of the Tein).. as they are very close to stock, but with advantages that are endless.

I would strongly advise against going near Tein HA, RA, or even the Flex from what you say. I personally have the flex and it is a bit rougher than stock but nothing too extroadinary.

Good luck in your voyage.

-Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 11-08-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 12:25 PM
presto
Driver School Candidate

I had the same concerns about making the ride deviate away for Lexus quality. But I wanted improved
handling.
In order, the mods were: tightened steering rack and TRD sways, TRD shocks and L-Tuned steering ecu,
and then on another thread I shared my concern about lowering.
Last week I had Eibach springs drop my '03 430 1.2 in. The camber got quite negative when the alignment was done. The result is an awesome driving experience! It drives "like a Lexus" on city streets" and unless you have bad potholes, you should barely notice the difference. But at speed on winding roads, it is fabulous. The passenger does not notice it as much as the driver. Steering and handling is exceptional.
My advice is that the entire suspension has to be upgraded, rather than cherry picking bits and pieces. I believe the GS was probably designed as an L-tuned vehicle and got de-tuned to appeal to the masses and the Lexus luxury image.
By the way, both Lexus dealers in the Phoenix area wanted around 700 clams to install the springs and alignment. I found an alignment and supension shop to do the works for 250. There was another 430 and an SC 400 getting service on the same day.
Lower your car, it will look great and still look like an adult driven Lexus, only more agressive looking.
And trust me, your wife will like it...mine did.
Old 11-24-03, 10:25 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i have the l-tuned struts w/ eibach pro kit springs.love it. not harsh, but more controlled
Old 11-24-03, 04:06 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed L-Tuned suspension on Saturday....feels almost like stock....just a tad bit stiffer. Now...huge ugly fender gap is gone.