Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my comments on the tein HA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-02, 10:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default my comments on the tein HA

ok so today i met with redgs4 and synergy (both are extremely cool guys, very nice to meet you both ), and synergy and i tried on redgs4's car with the tein HA.

all i can say is, WOW, this is what i want.... i don't know, redgs4 has them set to 0/0, so it's the stoftest setting. but i don't think it's stiff at all. compared to my acura tl type s (with comptech springs and STOCK shocks) that car is even stiffer than the ride we had today. so i don't think i will get anything but the HA, and most likely i will even tune it up to 8/8 or so.

for those who want to get tein, i strongly suggest you try it out in someone else's car. i think it's a very different taste between people.

the ride is definitely stiffer than the stock gs, the stock one is way too soft to begin with anyway. during very hard cornering the car still has some roll, but much better than the stock ride. i think this is the limit on what a coilover can do. without sways (which reduce the most body rolls) you are always bounded to some rolls. but the ride today was very nice and for around 1100 you can't ask for anything better.
Old 07-17-02, 11:13 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto.

I was very impressed with the HA test today in the Bay. Redgs4's car handles like a dream - truly awesome! We need to get a mini-meet together since there are so many cool Bay Area CL members.

I am ready to pick up my set of HA's ASAP!! For those who are concerned with a rough ride with HA's.....forget about it!

--
Old 07-17-02, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Synergy
Ditto.

I was very impressed with the HA test today in the Bay. Redgs4's car handles like a dream - truly awesome! We need to get a mini-meet together since there are so many cool Bay Area CL members.

I am ready to pick up my set of HA's ASAP!! For those who are concerned with a rough ride with HA's.....forget about it!

--
especially in my case, my TL is even stiffer than the HA softest setting and i will definitely start with 4/4 at least
Old 07-18-02, 04:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like rominl said, it's a matter of tolerance between different people. If you owned a slammed Civic then a GS on HA's would be soft.

Just keep in mind (for other's reading this), you can get the APEXi WS for around $1100 also which will give you a more compliant ride than the HA's....(if $1100 is your budget)

Also, your tire setup will make a big difference. 245/50-18 will ride much softer than a 245/35-20....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the HA's...I am thinking about doing them on the SC but on the GS, for me, they were too harsh (coupled with 20's, it didn't help much in terms of ride quality)...but hey, that's me.
Old 07-18-02, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by manaray
Like rominl said, it's a matter of tolerance between different people. If you owned a slammed Civic then a GS on HA's would be soft.

Just keep in mind (for other's reading this), you can get the APEXi WS for around $1100 also which will give you a more compliant ride than the HA's....(if $1100 is your budget)

Also, your tire setup will make a big difference. 245/50-18 will ride much softer than a 245/35-20....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the HA's...I am thinking about doing them on the SC but on the GS, for me, they were too harsh (coupled with 20's, it didn't help much in terms of ride quality)...but hey, that's me.
hehe, nah i agree 100% with you, that's why i urge everyone who wants coilover, ride in a car with it, that's the ONLY way to tell.

oh btw, the roads we rode on yesterday, mostly they are ok, with some of them rough. i have gone through them in my acura and the GS yesterday was nothing
Old 07-18-02, 11:37 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synergy, rominl,

Was great meeting you guys. I figured a little demo was all it would take.

Just a reminder, at my current drop I am out of alignment and adjusted to the maximum possible. Given I have only been driving the HA's for a couple of weeks I don't know how bad the tire wear will be, yet.
Old 07-20-02, 12:59 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Synergy

We need to get a mini-meet together since there are so many cool Bay Area CL members.

--
I am from Fremont also (like redgs4). I would definitely try to make it if there is a mini-meet (especially if it's near here). That is, if you guys don't mind me bringing my 1st gen GS (which is in the body shop right now). It would be great to check out all of your modded GS's up close.
Old 07-20-02, 03:37 AM
JL4785
Pole Position

Whats up everyone. IF there is a "mini" Bay Area meet, count me in! Plus, I would of been happy to have been there to try out the HAs in a GS. I've been looking for a great suspension set up. I've owned many different set ups in other cars but never a TEIN set up. Anyways, back to the point. Just PM me if anything. I'm most definitely down for a Bay Area get together...
Old 07-23-02, 10:15 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Yeah the mini-meet sounds killer. I am planning to get my HA's installed this weekend so lets set something up soon so we can all chat and learn from each other. I know that redgs4 and rominl are both in as well!

--