Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

soft ride with 20' rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 05:46 PM
REG99GS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft ride with 20' rims ?

Hello i am new to this forum, i want to change my suspension, but i don't want a harsh ride, i have a 99 gs3 with 20" toyo tires & rims. I have the stock suspension & i like the soft ride;. i do have a little drift & minor shimmey at highway speeds. I have thought of getting the Daizen bushings along with the sways.(diminish the body roll) I want to lower the the car & change the stock shocks. Which aftermarket shocks & spring should i go with to give me that close to stock ride, not that stiff all-out performance ride .thanks. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by REG99GS3; 04-19-06 at 07:06 PM. Reason: needed to specify thread
Old 04-19-06, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally, as i have done so many times, i ONLY recommend coilovers andin this case, i recommend tein cs
Old 04-20-06, 05:30 AM
speedie
Pole Position

I'm with Rominl on that....I had the same concerns and went with Tein CS....It is mind blowing how well the car handles, looks and feels one you bolt them on...
Old 04-20-06, 06:21 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to TEIN CS. I had the eibach springs and the ride on the TEIN feels much more like OEM.
Old 04-20-06, 07:23 AM
gau17
Driver

I would definately say go with The CS if you want a softer ride. I went from the Tein Flex to the CS and at first I tought the ride was too soft. I even put them on them up for sale this week. After driving with them for almost 3 weeks they feel much better. Maybe I just had to get use to the softer ride. The wifes approves of them. Their quieter too. If you're worried about the drop height - Dont! I'm on 20's and my wheels are tucked.
Old 04-20-06, 07:44 AM
REG99GS3
Driver School Candidate

Default soft ride with 20" rims

what about the Daizen bussings?? are they necessary to correct the drift & shimmey? or just the tein cs. do i need the( STILLEN)strut tower bar with the Daizen sways? to control the body roll? i hate the body roll from the factory suspension. thanks all opinions are appreciated, just want to make the right investments in parts.
Old 04-20-06, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by REG99GS3
what about the Daizen bussings?? are they necessary to correct the drift & shimmey? or just the tein cs. do i need the( STILLEN)strut tower bar with the Daizen sways? to control the body roll? i hate the body roll from the factory suspension. thanks all opinions are appreciated, just want to make the right investments in parts.
well the bushings help to tighten up the steering and firm things up. it's kinda different form what the tein cs does imho

the stb, imho it's more for look. it helps to tighten steering a bit, but my other mods (coilover, sways, bushings) does more to help handling imho
Old 04-20-06, 10:57 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is somewhat hard to diagnose what each individual wants/needs/will put up with. What may be too much for me may be not enough for you, or vice versa. You have a good list of things to possibly do. I would put on the CS and drive it around for awhile to see how you like it. If there is still too much body roll, go for the Daizen sways. Add components until you are happy.
Old 04-20-06, 11:14 AM
gau17
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
It is somewhat hard to diagnose what each individual wants/needs/will put up with. What may be too much for me may be not enough for you, or vice versa. You have a good list of things to possibly do. I would put on the CS and drive it around for awhile to see how you like it. If there is still too much body roll, go for the Daizen sways. Add components until you are happy.

I agree. Also depends on how much dead presidents you want to spend.
Old 04-20-06, 11:53 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gau17
I agree. Also depends on how much dead presidents you want to spend.
That too, ha ha ha
Old 04-20-06, 12:41 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

TEIN CS - definately a great way to go, I have them and they're just immaculate!
but if you're looking for a cheaper way to lower the car, I say stick with the stock shocks (if they're not shot already) and get the Tanabe NF210 (my friend has 20's and these springs and he loves it, feels like stock, just a bit stiffer, doesn't feel like a boat and it lowered the car perfectly!) as for the shimmy and such, yes, get the Daizen bushing kits.. I'm rebuilding my entire front suspension with Daizen Sway Bar/Control Arm bushing kits and new outer tie rods, new upper control arms, new lower ball joints - so if you'd like I'll let you know how that goes good luck!
Old 04-20-06, 03:18 PM
REG99GS3
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your quick responses,very helpful. i will take one step at a time to achieve the near stock 16" ride although with 20's. but with better control & no body roll! that's my goal.
Old 04-20-06, 05:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for your quick responses,very helpful. i will take one step at a time to achieve the near stock 16" ride although with 20's. but with better control & no body roll! that's my goal.
With the OEM 17s, the ride is noticeably stiffer than the OEM 16s. You will get near 17s ride with the CS and 20s. I don't think there is any magic to get close to the 16s ride.