Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Why are all hese threads being moved?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 06:34 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I see both sides of the story, but have to agree, its kinda annoying to have to hunt through 10 forums to read about info I'm interested in, then to sort through all the GS people with the ever so classic one line replies. I simply just don't have the time to do it. (that was a humerous GS remark, not a flame )

I've given up on looking at the other forums. I do like how there are links to the SC suspension and engine forums right here on the SC page w/o dealing w/ drop down menus.

I have missed a local meet because people are posting in the club meeting (or whatever) forum. If they would have just posted in the main forums, I would have been able to make the meet and life would be so much simplier. I feel like in an attempt to be totally organized, things have just become too confusing. I appreciate all the time and effort these great mod's are doing, but I guess technology is moving faster than I am. I just don't have the time to play around on this forum. I just like to quickly look at the topics, read a few, post on a few, then get back to work. No time to hunt around.

But, if you're only interested in reading about wheels, why suffer through "whats the best muffler" threads. (Though I personally feel the wheels forum should be in the suspension section BTW .02 cents there). So I can see the purpose behind the extensive # of forums.

I think that if someone knows that they should post in a different forum, but want to exclusively post in the main forum for traffic purposes, that they should be able to say "please don't move this" and I hope the mods will respect their opinion. The main forums are read by most everyone, and only an exclusive few venture off to the remote forums, so posting in the main forum should be an option for the originator, if at all possible. And if some one is so **** that they can't tolerate one specialized post in the main forum, then they should seriously think about increasing their medication dose that day.

Besides, maybe the guy who works on transmissions or re-builds engines all the time knows something about HID lighting, but isn't interested enough in it to go to the lighting forum. He will never be able to answer some obscure question that has everyone else stumped, but was easy for him. Or maybe the SCCA or IMSA guy knows everything about wheels, but only has time to read the suspension forum.

I just feel that we are dividing the forums down to a "currently interested" status. Unless your "currently interested" you won't go there, which lowers the traffic, and leaves good questions unanswered by qualified people, that could have easily been answered.

I guess there is a fine line with it all, and I don't have time to figure out the solution. Thats why we have the mods here to do that. Maybe they will listen to us and possibly make some modifications to better meet everyon's needs. But unless we express our opinions, they will never know. So send replies to the message or start a new one of your own. As for me, I really don't mind/care, so I'll stop ******ing. Maybe the majority likes it the way it is.

Mods, you're doing agreat job- keep up the good work, I hope this post doesn't come across as a complaint, cuz its not. My personal opinion is that this forum is very intricate, yet very easy to manuver. In my situation, I just don't have the time to spend looking; thats not to say anything is wrong. These opinions are my own.

Have a good one.
Old 05-09-03, 06:52 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

When I post in the wrong section I know it will get moved........ I do it so others can see what I posted. At least I dont post in the GS section and Im writing about an LS. or have I If it gets moved it no big deal cause then I have that subject for CL members to see in TWO sections.

Dont beat me up to bad
Old 05-09-03, 07:08 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Let me add my $1.25:

If you use the Forum - View New Post you see all of the new post regardless of what forum they are in. It took me a year or so to find that option and boy am I glad that I did. It only requires that you first log on with your user ID. I am not sure if all users know of that feature. That is all. I'll go back to lurking now.
Old 05-09-03, 07:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by KayGee
Let me add my $1.25:

If you use the Forum - View New Post you see all of the new post regardless of what forum they are in.
Yep - good point KG

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...&action=getnew
Old 05-09-03, 07:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
I have missed a local meet because people are posting in the club meeting (or whatever) forum. If they would have just posted in the main forums, I would have been able to make the meet and life would be so much simplier.
Keith - thanks for taking the time to post! Good feedback.

I'm in exactly the same boat (and use the same approach you do) on time.

I've been trying to think of someway to announce local meets so people don't miss them. We now have a event calendar with the new version of ClubLexus, there has to be some way to make that more visible... Will try to think of something creative there... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/calendar.php

I know Ethan was working on a way to generate meet notices based on member's address or zip codes for local meets.
Old 05-09-03, 07:27 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way my fellow enthusiasts, but we're talking about surfing an internet web community, not trekking all over a huge library for information.

People have mentioned not wanting to go to other forums to read. Are you kidding me? A click of a mouse? Come on guys. We do the best we can with the resources and unpaid staff.

Anyone can come and read for free through the forums. Exercise a little effort and don't ask to have everything you'd like to see spoon fed to you because you don't want to look around.

I also felt this way once, to be sure. But I startted going to teh Main Forums Page and opening up from there each forum I was possibly interested in. Believe it or not, reading teh Maintenance or Lighting Forums, even though not scripted for model specifics, can be informative.

Don't walk into CL with blinders on, you'll miss too much.
Old 05-09-03, 04:29 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02

Picking an area to post in is very subjective and not everyone will have the same opionion on where to put it. Also, after it is moved, the little "moved" thread is still in the original forum. Why not just let people use their best judgement in posting. Unless it is totally ridiculous (ie. new wheels thread in the electronics forum), I would have to say its all good where it was originally.
Old 05-13-03, 06:04 PM
LexFather

If you use the Forum - View New Post you see all of the new post regardless of what forum they are in. It took me a year or so to find that option and boy am I glad that I did. It only requires that you first log on with your user ID. I am not sure if all users know of that feature. That is all. I'll go back to lurking now
Thank you dude.

A lot of maintenance and lighting issues are not model specific. The cars share the same engines and most all electronics. That is why we have sub-forums for them.

GUESS WHAT?

If we did not have sub-forums, there would be a thread here stating "WE NEED SUB-FORUMS, the GS, SC etc forums have to much clutter".

We also have the option to move a thread without a re-direct. It would be hella tougher to find the thread without it.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-06-03, 10:51 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there are many valid arguments for this ever increasing segmentation of forums, I personally find that too much segmentation has resulted in a loss of critical mass. Just because forum segmentation is a good idea [I don't necessarily agree] does not mean you can FORCE the members to post or search all the correct little sub-forums. The moderators [who are doing a great job, IMO] can spout off about rules and using the search, but the basic site organization and user interface dictates actual usage. Per the adage, "you can lead a horse to water..."

Going back to the loss of critical mass comment: I'm sure someone can quote an increased number of hits and a higer posts per whatever measure, but spreading out the posts over all these forums creates the appearance [if not actual] of fewer posts and fewer responses to posts. The only exception is the Lobby and that's because it's a natural [as opposed to forced] gathering place.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 06-07-03, 07:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Just because forum segmentation is a good idea [I don't necessarily agree] does not mean you can FORCE the members to post or search all the correct little sub-forums.
One hint you might not be aware of will help users understand how searching works on CL... if you search the GS Model main forum for a specific topic, you also search and get results from the GS sub-forums. It's a tree structure, so everything you're specifically looking for still is in that same directory, just stored in a different sub-directory.

For example, if you put the words "Supra Brakes" in the search topic and select the GS Model main forum, you''ll get the main forum posts with Supra Brakes AND anything that appears in the Suspension and Engine sub-forums as well related to Supra Brakes.

Same thing applies when you elect to 'search all open forums', you get ALL of CL.

Picking on the forum you frequent most to address critical mass comments... There are well over 100,000 posts in the GS forum and nearly 10,000 just in Suspension and Handling sub-forum! IMO that's certainly critical mass to warrant some minor organization .

I personally thank those CL members that try to pick the right spots to place their posts!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-07-03 at 07:32 AM.