Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Classified rules

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 09:57 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Classified rules

Someone really needs to explain to me the thought process behind the classified section "rules". Because the way I see it, they are incredibly flawed.

I posted my winter wheel/tire package for sale not too long ago, only to have it closed due to the price of $800. Evidently, if you do not have at least 300 posts, you cannot sell anything for over $500 without a vouch. OK... So I had TWO members send a PM to moderator gerrb vouching for me since I have sold items to both of them without one issue. However, these vouches are void because they do not have enough posts and/or time on the forum. Seriously!?

First, I would like to address the dollar amount "rule". This rule basically says that if an item is more than $500, then we need to protect our members from a scam. But, if the item is less than $500, it's ok to try to scam someone since no one will care about losing the money.

Second, the post count "rule". How does someone's number of posts have anything to do with them be a honest / dishonest seller?? I have been on this forum for 3 years, posted pics of my car, asked numerous questions (via PM or in threads), and have numerous posts helping people out. Yet, I am not allowed to post something for sale because I have not hit a certain random number of posts which means absolutely nothing. Because, obviously, if someone posts a lot on the forum (regardless of what type of posts they are) they are clearly an honest and trustworthy person.

Case in point, I bought a pair of 5MM spacers on here a couple of years ago for cheap. When I received them, they were actually 10MM spacers. I PM'd the seller and also posted in the forum and I received NO RESPONSE. So I got screwed by a dishonest seller because the price was low enough he didn't need a vouch.

WHAT SENSE DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE!?

Again, I have sold multiple items on the forum WITHOUT ONE ISSUE. Including a 2014 Carbon Fiber spoiler for more than $500. TWO people I sold to have vouched for me. I have been an active member for 3 years. And to make matters worse, I AM SELLING THE WHEELS LOCALLY. How am I supposed to screw someone when they can literally touch the wheels before purchasing. IN ADDITION, I offered member "kolyan" to come down to my place and test fit the wheels on his IS350 to be sure they fit. And he took me up on it. Good thing I offered this because the wheels rubbed at a full lock turn and he did not purchase them.

What more am I supposed to do to be able to sell my parts on this forum? These "rules" are absolutely ridiculous.
Old 10-16-15, 10:01 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now, I am a dishonest seller. But, in 13 more posts, I will then be honest.
Old 10-16-15, 10:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

There is a very detailed thread about the rationale behind our high dollar sale voucher rules, did you read it?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...d-read-me.html

To address your complaints above....We've had tons of people ripped off in the past 15 years, and the rules have evolved over time to do our best to minimize the risk to Club Lexus members.

There are basically four things moderators & members can look at to assess what the risk of getting screwed over by a seller:

Who are you?
1) how long you've been a member here (our rules for high dollar sales > 1 yr)
2) how much interaction you have with the Club Lexus community (our rules are more than 300 posts for high dollar sales).

Who else knows you?
3) who knows you from our community (and what is their own connection with Club Lexus)? This can come from either buying or selling with you, or knowing you personally, or meeting person at an event

Who have you sold to, or bought from in the past on Club Lexus?
4) iTrader feedback - an additional data point for buyers to use to gauge past classified experience

Other than those items, you're pretty much an anonymous seller.

We spent an exhaustive amount of time in looking at what other communities do and looking at past Club Lexus classifieds ripoffs to come up with our rules. The price boundary of $500, number of posts for sellers and vouchers are well researched and were discussed at length with the moderator team and socialized with members before going into place years before you joined CL. The classified rules are reasonable to be able to meet. For example you personally have had a voucher in the past for a high dollar sale (too far in the past to reuse), suggest you ask them to do it again and you wouldn't have this problem.

However your point that none of these are foolproof indicators is absolutely fair, but they are still the best metrics we have to gauge sellers by, and they are based on our 15 years + of running classifieds on our forums and examining who our problem sellers historically are. If you've got other ideas beyond complaining about what we're doing, post them up.

Regarding your post about the spacer sales issue you had, that's on you. YOU did not leave negative iTrader feedback for that seller. If you had, I would have gotten involved with the seller on your behalf to come to a resolution. If one couldn't be arrived at and the facts were clearly on your side, the seller would be banned from the classifieds. I'm sure you were glad you lost $40 and not $4000 though.

Finally, selling locally is not realistic. If you look at threads where sellers have posted that, you'll very often see "I wish you would ship these" (example) and many sellers taking them up on it. We can't possibly monitor all that so the same rules apply for local sales. Very simple approach to enforce and safer for our buyers.

Nobody is remotely saying you are dishonest, we simply asking you follow our rules. Sorry you don't like those rules, but they are well reasoned and are there for the safety of our members. They are extensively communicated and posted in every classified forum. We enforce them and get involved when there are problems we are made aware of with a transaction.

We do our best to have a free and relatively safe classified forum experience here. If you don't like the rules on Club Lexus, you can clearly also sell on eBay, Craigslist, etc. so we aren't the only outlet for you.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-16-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 02:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Well, I just saw this thread today . I cannot stress it enough , local sales or pickup doesn't mean it is a safe sale. In fact even more dangerous in my opinion. Not only you loose money or property , your life can be in danger.

I myself was a victim of armed robbery through a local sale / pickup. Though they are in jail now, they pointed a gun on me and robbed me at the meeting place. If you don't believe , PM me and I will tell you their names and you can do a search and find their names in a GA correction database , where they are incarcerated and their legal cases , that's public info.

Before I was a moderator , I myself didn't comprehend well all these FS rules and thought the same too strict , but I began to appreciate them more especially the vouching system after a bad experience in 2009 and seeing how things go in the day to day I try to help on this forum.

I do hope every one tries to read the FS rules and understand them, there is a good reason behind all these. It is not to make life hard for you guys . It is to help prevent you from being harmed.
Old 01-12-16, 11:24 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Did the amount of posts go up from 300 to 500? I been a good member for 8 years+ but I don't have enough posts to be a voucher yet . So lame
Old 01-12-16, 06:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Did the amount of posts go up from 300 to 500? I been a good member for 8 years+ but I don't have enough posts to be a voucher yet . So lame
No, it has not changed. 300 to sell a high dollar item yourself. 500 to be a voucher.

Don't like it, there are plenty of other places to sell. We've had way too many people ripped off by people who have little connection to our community. That's what's lame.