LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A 2016 Audi A6 owner’s impression of the 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 05:48 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts
Default A 2016 Audi A6 owner’s impression of the 430

I just went to visit one of my former college roommates who just bought a CPO 2016 A6 with 20,000 miles. We’d been driving around in that car for the first day getting food, bar runs, etc. when we had to go out to a store 30 min away and decided to take the 430.
The first thing he noticed was the smoothness at idle when the car is in drive. Even his Audi will noticeably vibrate the car at idle in gear.
Then he couldn’t get over the car’s highway manners. He was sitting in the backseat, and I asked him to guess how fast we were going. He goes, hmmm idk, 80? Then I told him to look at the speedo - cruise was set at 100 (before anyone says anything this was a very rural highway in PA in the middle of the night. I do not speed like that around other people).
Let’s just say for the rest of the trip we drove around in my 13 year old LS while his new A6 collected dust.. lol!
The A6 was definitely faster though and would run circles around the LS with its cornering capability. And the seats in the A6 made me jealous. He said he had kind of wondered why I had bought an old LS when I could have afforded something more expensive but that he finally understood...

Anyone else have any similar stories?

edit: Also, I forgot to mention — Lexus needs to take notes from Audi in the door department. The doors of his Audi were the most satisfying doors to close I’ve experienced. The LS was not even close

Last edited by Peacebay; 12-09-18 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I test drove that car for a $100 gift card, and it was one of those where the salesperson said if you're just driving it for the gift card, would you mind taking it out on your own, and coming back when you're done?

Maybe by today's standards the car wasn't that expensive, but the sticker was $69k which I found to be over the top for the car. It had led headlamps but was still a base model, V6 T or something.

No matter what I did, the Audi handled poorly (ride modified by dash controls). This is a trait of maybe 2012+ cars with electric power steering. Exception is Porsche.

Don't get me wrong the LS430 has no handling capabilities to speak of, but that Audi steering had a feel of about 6, on a scale of 0-100, with the LS having about a 70, and a 2006-2010 E9x BMW being at 90. To the Audi's credit, a new LS500 scores about a 0 on a scale of 100, as does a RXL 350. my .02

on the doors of German cars--the most ridiculous dings (ok dents bodymen state no such thing as dings only dents) can be removed due to the metal used. Even on a crease or edge--seemingly impossible. Not so on Asian cars.
Old 12-10-18, 06:25 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I test drove a new 2018 Audi Q5 last week with the 2.0 Turbo and it handled superbly as if it was on rails! Although its been many years since I drove an A6, I'm surprised it doesn't handle well especially with the AWD system. Firm ride yes, but handling should be one of it's better characteristics. Of course comparing the LS430 to any Audi is silly as they are totally different cars.
Old 12-10-18, 07:08 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

No, I was saying the A6 did handle well! It was a proper sports car in comparison to the 430.

Basically I found it pretty cool that a car designed in the late 90s was noticibly more comfortable, smooth and quiet than a new-ish upscale Audi.
Old 12-10-18, 07:46 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Wait till that A6 is 10 years old with 100k on it, then do the comparison. Or, compare maintenance costs after the A6 is 10 years old and out of the CPO range.
Old 12-10-18, 09:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Romanova
Wait till that A6 is 10 years old with 100k on it, then do the comparison. Or, compare maintenance costs after the A6 is 10 years old and out of the CPO range.
Seriously, I actually can't remember what brought me to the LS430. I know it was that I was looking for a 1998 Maxima daily driver replacement.

My choices in late 2016 were 2006 LS430 with 80k or so, $14k (I know if you look at carfax I took a beating worse than anything I think it says my car is $5,540? hahahahahahaha even lower than my 2007 BMW 335, which is now only $6,850 what a joke it's showroom condition purchased new), or 2006 Audi A8 (not L) with 5x,xxx miles, $12k, or a CPO Toyota Camry with 35,xxx miles (most people choose this with the same money). The Audi was $78k new, the Lexus $65,xxx list.

It is true that an Audi is not likely to be set it and forget it, I mean this Lexus has had nothing go wrong in 31k other than 2 front corner parking sensors. But for the average person, they are not willing to sacrifice driving a mattress around like the LS430 either haha
Old 12-10-18, 11:51 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
He goes, hmmm idk, 80? Then I told him to look at the speedo - cruise was set at 100 (before anyone says anything this was a very rural highway in PA in the middle of the night. I do not speed like that around other people).

Yep mine feel the same at 70 mph and over 100 mph (and I am sure at even faster speed). I have be careful when merging into an interstate and accelerating because she will just run faster and faster.

I do enjoy flooring it every once in a while. I have a big grin when there is one of these extra loud small front wheel car, and the LS would smoothly and quietly out accelerate it by a mile. I guess noone expect a big sedan can accelerate pretty fast from stop lol
Old 12-11-18, 04:44 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Also, I forgot to mention — Lexus needs to take notes from Audi in the door department. The doors of his Audi were the most satisfying doors to close I’ve experienced. The LS was not even close
really? what makes the Audi so special? i love the Lexus soft close doors. i find myself not closing other car doors enough since i'm used to the lexus.
Old 12-11-18, 05:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
really? what makes the Audi so special? i love the Lexus soft close doors. i find myself not closing other car doors enough since i'm used to the lexus.
If I'm not mistaken, our cars are under 4000 lbs., 3,9xx, right? And physically on the large side.

My BMW 335i is Honda Civic sized, has composite fenders to reduce weight, and tips the scales at over 3,500! (back then they said it was a pig compared to the car it replaced). Imagine if they had used steel fenders it would look far worse.

No question German cars have a sturdier feel, well, up to some point. A lot of what they have churned out in the last 6+ years especially made in USA aren't up to snuff imho. I can't stand the Corolla window switches of our LS430s, that was really bad. But there are some really nice touches too, such as a phone cannot fall in between the seats and center console. It does that in my BMW and I kid you not, better be careful 50% chance you will scratch the face of the phone trying to retrieve it as it wedges in the seat track. German and Japanese are totally different. depends what you want. German cars used to drive way better.
Old 12-11-18, 05:40 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
They don't have a soft close feature, but it isn't even necessary. You can close them with your pinky. They designed the hinges in a way that once the doors are past about halfway closed, they basically "fall" shut, for lack of a better word. And the sound is really satisfying.
Old 12-11-18, 06:13 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If I'm not mistaken, our cars are under 4000 lbs., 3,9xx, right? And physically on the large side.

My BMW 335i is Honda Civic sized, has composite fenders to reduce weight, and tips the scales at over 3,500! (back then they said it was a pig compared to the car it replaced). Imagine if they had used steel fenders it would look far worse.

No question German cars have a sturdier feel, well, up to some point. A lot of what they have churned out in the last 6+ years especially made in USA aren't up to snuff imho. I can't stand the Corolla window switches of our LS430s, that was really bad. But there are some really nice touches too, such as a phone cannot fall in between the seats and center console. It does that in my BMW and I kid you not, better be careful 50% chance you will scratch the face of the phone trying to retrieve it as it wedges in the seat track. German and Japanese are totally different. depends what you want. German cars used to drive way better.
Sorry to get slightly off the subject, but with reference to Johnhaven430's comment on losing a phone between car seats.....Drop Stop has been around for a short while and sold at Walmart and on line that avoids items from falling between car seats. Yes the LS430 had it first as standard equipment as a great innovation. .I got this for my Infiniti and it works great. Check it out.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-11-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:21 AM
Wintercat
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
$$$$$$$$.

Best quote I'd heard about Audis after their expiration date. "You see that valve on the engine? You maintain that. You check it all the time. If that breaks, it will break every possible thing."

I've seen so many fellow gearhead's eurocars do horrible things like bend all the valves, blow a cooling pipe, or just have the internal electronics go nuts and fail. Lexuses just don't do that, in my experience. Everything on my 430 works. Everything on my 23 year old SC400 works, including the sunroof, external temp, power adjustments, things that always stop working on eurocars. Even the wing taillight LEDs (Nichia?) are still 100%. It keeps the cost of ownership very low.

Add to that parts in common, such as the same yaw rate sensor used for everything from the 430 to the Prius, and that most things are three sizes of metric wrench and easy to take apart. Eurocars? There's Mercedes parts that have to be sourced from Germany, unique to the car.

I watch the Hoovie's Garage show. He's blown tens of thousands a year keeping eurocars running when they do awful things, but the $200 1993 ES300 he found just needed new tires and detailing.

Even Consumer Reports validates that on their "12+ year old cars" in the new issue. Lexus LS gets three green arrows up for reliability. Range Rover gets three red arrows down. Everything else is in between.

It's why I love them.

Last edited by Wintercat; 12-11-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:42 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Sorry to get slightly off the subject, but with reference to Johnhaven430's comment on losing a phone between car seats.....Drop Stop has been around for a short while and sold at Walmart and on line that avoids items from falling between car seats. Yes the LS430 had it first as standard equipment as a great innovation. .I got this for my Infiniti and it works great. Check it out.

those things are amazing. got mine on amazon. they were on shark tank. but a set in my volvo & my wife GL450, lol.

got it on the door info. wasn't sure if i was missing something.
Old 12-11-18, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wintercat
$$$$$$$$.

Best quote I'd heard about Audis after their expiration date. "You see that valve on the engine? You maintain that. You check it all the time. If that breaks, it will break every possible thing."

I've seen so many fellow gearhead's eurocars do horrible things like bend all the valves, blow a cooling pipe, or just have the internal electronics go nuts and fail. Lexuses just don't do that, in my experience. Everything on my 430 works. Everything on my 23 year old SC400 works, including the sunroof, external temp, power adjustments, things that always stop working on eurocars. Even the wing taillight LEDs (Nichia?) are still 100%. It keeps the cost of ownership very low.

Add to that parts in common, such as the same yaw rate sensor used for everything from the 430 to the Prius, and that most things are three sizes of metric wrench and easy to take apart. Eurocars? There's Mercedes parts that have to be sourced from Germany, unique to the car.

I watch the Hoovie's Garage show. He's blown tens of thousands a year keeping eurocars running when they do awful things, but the $200 1993 ES300 he found just needed new tires and detailing.

Even Consumer Reports validates that on their "12+ year old cars" in the new issue. Lexus LS gets three green arrows up for reliability. Range Rover gets three red arrows down. Everything else is in between.

It's why I love them.
My cousin long ago said Germans have zero interest in say a 300k car like the Japanese did, they were into performance. Example--8 cyl. 5 series BMWs had aluminum hats riveted to the cast iron rotors, to save like 2.x lbs per corner of unsprung weight. 2.x lbs? Our LS430s have heavy stamped steel control arms in front, for which Lexus wants $1600 to replace hahahahahahahahaha It's cheaper to replace on a BMW where they are forged aluminum. Japanese are not innocent, they gouge too. Just that as a general statement, they are more reliable.

How about the 8 cyl. RS4? There is a good chance a $18k timing chain replacement is needed at some point, where basically the car is junked (not literally but is done).

Has Lexus ever made a car as exciting to drive as a 2008'ish BMW M3? Not really. Apples to oranges..

With everything being said, my 2007 purchased new BMW 335i has been reliable throughout its life.

edit: with one exception, ABS pump failure, a $4,200 job at the dealership, DIY for < $300, but I needed software and tools so it was about $450.