IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Traction control off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 06:54 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Traction control off

I read the manual, but I am still confused about the traction control off switch.
After starting the car and pushing the button, initially there is a message on the instrument cluster indicating "off".
Does the "off" function stay engaged until you shut off the car?
While driving, pushing the button does not result in a message either off or on.
You can't engage the off function while in gear? it would make sense I guess, safety-wise.
Obviously, the off function is for getting unstuck.

Old 07-03-18, 07:21 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I read the manual, but I am still confused about the traction control off switch.
After starting the car and pushing the button, initially there is a message on the instrument cluster indicating "off".
Does the "off" function stay engaged until you shut off the car?
While driving, pushing the button does not result in a message either off or on.
You can't engage the off function while in gear? it would make sense I guess, safety-wise.
Obviously, the off function is for getting unstuck.
You have to come to a complete stop to disengage both traction control and VSC completely. First, come to a stop. Then, hold the traction control off button for three seconds. The instrument panel should display a message. You will know you did it right if the message keeps coming back even after you have dismissed it.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 08:57 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Of course I remember the previous thread describing the pedal dance method of disabling the traction control.
I was just curious about the general, everyday workings of the switch.

BTW, it seemed like I didn't have to hold for 3 seconds to get the "off" message.
Maybe I am missing something in your clear description.....?
Old 07-03-18, 09:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
Of course I remember the previous thread describing the pedal dance method of disabling the traction control.
I was just curious about the general, everyday workings of the switch.

BTW, it seemed like I didn't have to hold for 3 seconds to get the "off" message.
Maybe I am missing something in your clear description.....?
You can get it to be temporarily off by just pressing the button. If you do that, it'll come back on at speed.

But yeah, the difference with pedal dance is that you can't turn TC and VSC back on without restarting the car. I tested it out in the snow and couldn't tell any difference between TC off and pedal-dance-off.
Old 08-17-18, 07:15 AM
zangh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You can get it to be temporarily off by just pressing the button. If you do that, it'll come back on at speed.

But yeah, the difference with pedal dance is that you can't turn TC and VSC back on without restarting the car. I tested it out in the snow and couldn't tell any difference between TC off and pedal-dance-off.
can you or someone explain this pedal dance process to keep traction control off please
Old 08-17-18, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by zangh
can you or someone explain this pedal dance process to keep traction control off please
Just so you know, you don't need the pedal dance. Just hold down the TC button until the TC off light shows up in your gauge cluster.

Here's the pedal dance, if you want to try anyway:
Originally Posted by arentz07
You can also do the pedal dance, which is what I did when I found an empty, snowy parking lot last week. Bear in mind that the stability control is also disabled, so make sure you have room to play.

For convenience:
1. With car off, engage parking brake.
2. Start the car.
3. Pump the brake pedal twice.
4. Release and re-engage the parking brake twice.
5. Pump the brake pedal three times.

That's the procedure I use. Sometimes it doesn't register, but if I repeat 4. and 5. again it will usually take.
Old 08-17-18, 11:48 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

The Anti-Lock Brakes, Traction Control and Stability Control all use the same wheel speed sensors
and computer to act on the engine throttle and brakes.

1) ABS acts on the individual brake pressures to reduce wheel lock up for better control.
Can not be and should not be turned off.

2) Traction Control acts on the throttle to reduce wheel spinning when traction is limited.
Can be turned off by briefly touching the TC button, "Trac Off". The legitimate use of Trac Off
is to allow back and forth rocking to get free of snow/mud. A bit less legitimate use...smoky burn outs!
When TC is off the Stability Control is still maintaining control of side to side swerving/swaying.

3) Stability Control affects both throttle and individual brakes to maintain control while steering.
Can be defeated only on RWD or AWD models by pressing and holding the button.
Merely defeating TC to allow rocking still controls side to side swerving...If you want lower
lap time (or drifting times) then you must turn off the Stability Control.

All settings default back ON when restarting the car
Old 08-17-18, 05:49 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^ Agreed with above, peddle dance is expert only, like reallly an expert. ABS does more than prevent lock up, in many cars, it also controls the brake bias for pressure front/rear. Imagine your rear brakes locking up before the front...
Old 08-18-18, 03:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by V350
^ Agreed with above, peddle dance is expert only, like reallly an expert. ABS does more than prevent lock up, in many cars, it also controls the brake bias for pressure front/rear. Imagine your rear brakes locking up before the front...
I don't think there is any way to defeat ABS. But yeah there's no practical reason to use the pedal dance when TC full-off does basically the same thing.
Old 08-19-18, 06:38 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

In some Toyota's the "peddle dance" puts the computers in a diagnostic mode, everything off including ABS. I don't know if the IS is included in that. But you are absolutely right no practical reason to. TC off is everything off except ABS
Old 08-20-18, 08:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by V350
In some Toyota's the "peddle dance" puts the computers in a diagnostic mode, everything off including ABS. I don't know if the IS is included in that. But you are absolutely right no practical reason to. TC off is everything off except ABS
Good to know. I haven't driven the car hard enough with Pedal Dance active to know whether the ABS was disabled. The only times I have used it were in a snowy parking lot, where traction is all but not available anyway. I will say, if ABS is disabled, that might make me think twice about using it, even in the snow. But it might be entertaining on the track.