IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Laser/Radar Cruise Functionality Review?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 10:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Laser/Radar Cruise Functionality Review?

Does anyone with a 2IS equipped with the radar cruise have any insights into how well it works? I have recently driven some of the newer (2017-2018) Toyota/Lexus models with the updated versions and I found them to be quite useful, so I've been considering adding it to my 2011. Not sure if I'll have to add the PCS as well or not, but if it doesn't work all that well, I'll probably just skip the idea altogether.

Jeff
Old 01-16-18, 11:56 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Good luck finding that ONE person that has it. LOL!
Old 01-16-18, 01:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Gville350
Good luck finding that ONE person that has it. LOL!
You never know, haha. Also, I believe (possibly) more IS C's may have had it than sedans... maybe?

Jeff
Old 01-16-18, 01:17 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

I did a bit of reading in the owners manual, and I think I like the way it works quite a bit. More research to be done for sure, especially with how it will work with the engine swap, but I'll post updates if I have them.

Jeff
Old 01-16-18, 01:38 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Personally, I am not a fan of the radar cruise control for highway. For city its great.
Old 01-16-18, 02:06 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

I've only ever seen one IS around with the laser cruise, and unfortunately, the owner ended up selling the car before I could play with it. I've def seen a few more C's with it though.

I'd be interested in following a DIY if you plan on tackling this one day. Seems like it'd be a bit of work though.
Old 01-16-18, 04:45 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A search didn’t provide much, so the question is.....what is it and what does it do?
Old 01-16-18, 08:27 PM
Meeps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it in my 06 is350. Have been on any long road trips with it but testing it out on the local highways to was nice. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. Another person coming into my lane in front of me caused it to fall back slightly and set the radar on the new target. Overall I think it's smooth and it works but I guess I won't know for sure until some longer road trips this summer
Old 01-16-18, 08:28 PM
Meeps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
A search didn’t provide much, so the question is.....what is it and what does it do?
Cruise control which sets the speed to match the car in front of you, thereby following the flow of traffic
Old 01-16-18, 11:05 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the radar cruise/PCS when I ordered my 2006 IS350 back in 2005. A couple of dealers at the time told me it wasn't even available. HA. Of course it was and I finally found a dealer who would listen and actually put in the order. I love the system and would not order another car without it. The PCS has saved my wife and I at least 6-7 times over the last 12 years of ownership. Doesn't sound like much but I would more than likely have had a crash without it. It sensed imminent danger and put on the brakes (hard) before I could react and at the same time it cinches up the seat belts tight. And I mean TIGHT!

As for the radar cruise? I like it a lot. Is it perfect? Nope. But good enough for me to recommend it. I've driven from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and not once touched the gas pedal, the brake pedal or the cruise control. Just steer and watch the miles roll by.

Only a couple of downsides as far as I'm concerned:

#1. If you want the cruise set at, oh say, 75 MPH, and you snug up to a car going 69 MPH......and you are visiting and not paying attention you will be following in trail at 69 MPH. Happened a couple of times. So, when you wake up, you signal and go around. But that is more of a driver error than the way the cruise operates.

#2. Now you are passing. It picks up speed a bit more leisurely than I like so now I give it more gas to pass a bit more quickly. I wish it was a bit more aggressive in its acceleration.

The first trip I took though, I let the system do it all so I could make the earlier statement that I drove the whole way without the aforementioned touching of anything. HA!

Just today I was using the cruise and found myself still loving a system that was developed back in at least 2005 for the 2006 models. Maybe even earlier.

As for adding it to a 2011? I would say anything is possible but there is a lot to it I'm sure. Hope this was of some help. I'm sure that like anything in life there are those who like it and those who don't. That is what makes the world go around.
Old 01-17-18, 12:04 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 392 Likes on 170 Posts

I wonder how much in parts if u are adding it to a car that never came with it... that's assuming all the IS350 is pre-wired for radar cruise, like the back up sensor...
Old 01-17-18, 02:29 AM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the ACC with PCS on my 250 along with a 'Moonroof' as Lexus call it!, these were the only two options available on my SE-L back in the day and I use it ( the ACC) at every opportunity! for a car that is coming up to 11 years old It must of been super advanced when it first hit the road. My car has only done 38,000 miles in that time and if the ACC is used on long runs when suitable then I thing it is less stressful on the engine.I notice it a lot when you are on a journey for a while you see the same vehicle pass you then you pass them numerous times and it shows how erratic people drive if they don't have cruise whereas the cruise is consistent and must be good for your car!

paul m.
Note: I have retro fitted cruise control ( Not ACC or Radar ) to my Ford Mondeo ( Fusion in US I think?) using all the parts from a donor car, like this
http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?..._Petrol_Models

But to do it on an IS? I would not take that on I think, first you have to make sure that the wiring loom (harness!) has the capacity to accept all the components required at the suitable locations and what those are exactly I do not know but minimum it's going to be steering wheel and front grill logo transmitter. And as for the ECU (PCM) I guess this will have to be suitable also software wise.

Last edited by Texas149; 01-17-18 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 06:50 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

The system actually doesn't have a ton of wiring as most of the communication is done via the CAN bus. I don't expect any of the wiring to be in place on my car I will have to add it.

The PCS/radar cruise system consists of the following components:

- PCS Sensor/Grille/Emblem
- Distance Control ECU
- Seat Belt Control ECU
- Steering Wheel Switch
- Different ABS Actuator/VSC ECU
- Different Front Seatbelts

Not all of these components are used for the cruise control, however, some are only used for the PCS. Still, I'm not buying these components new, that's for sure, haha. I could buy another IS for that money.

Good feedback though, thanks guys. If I come across the major components I may give it a shot.

Jeff