Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Axle back system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 01:07 PM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle back system?

Hi again guys, I just recently decided to start frequenting these forums again and I'm considering getting an inexpensive axle back system for my '98 SC400 but I need to know if it will do anything to help out with the power somewhat or is it just sound enhancement? I had the resonators removed a few years ago and I didn't feel any increase in power, if anything, it feels like I lost a little low end but who knows? Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 10-23-17, 04:10 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Hey again Celtica,

Your '98 SC400 being a V8 will usually always have a good exhaust sound, first off. An appreciable power increase isn't really what happens with SC catback exhausts unless the car has a modified turbocharged JZ engine or the rare case of a very modified 1UZ with a supercharger or even rarer fully custom twin turbo system. With a stock SC400, even a more powerful 98-00, this is done mostly for sound and style.

An inexpensive axle back system that sounds very good on both the I-6 and V-8 cars is the Manzo/M2 axle back. Stainless steel, stock-ish looking but slightly larger diameter tips that don't overwhelm the stock bodywork and great sound. I've been running a set of them on my stock NA SC300 for years (with the factory resonators) and I'm still happy with them. If you search youtube for examples of that exhaust on SC400's you'll get a good idea of what you'll be getting if you sample 2-3 video recordings. I don't recall the price offhand but I believe mine were under $300 new. They are available from various aftermarket outlets online as well as ebay. The same exhaust system is marketed under both the "Manzo" and "M2" brand names. The brand I bought was M2.

I bought that model because of the sort-of OEM look with a nice sound with my I-6 engine. It is easier to get good exhaust sound from any V8.

Plenty of other bolt-in axle back options exist. Some are visually attention getting and some not as much. Volume levels vary depending on the model. I looked at Pacesetter's system (eh...) and a couple of other common brands that made products for nearly everything in the early 90's onward (eh...) and I just liked the Manzo/M2 more.

But I did not expect, nor did I get any more power (since I have an NA engine). It was just for a slight change in sound.

5Zigen, Tanabe and some other companies make more expensive axle back exhausts for our cars. Often you get a lot more volume compared to stock with them and depending on the product, some drone. It depends on the product and also what you want to change to.

Losing some low end after removing your resonators could have something to do with removing too much backpressure. All NA engines need some backpressure but often tuned Ford and GM V8's can be opened up quite a bit from the exhaust ports onward. The 1UZ may be different in this regard as it is already highly tuned in NA form. That said, if you put a completely stock 98-00 SC400 and your 98-00 on a dyno you might possibly see a very slight shift in where the torque begins to ramp up from idle. I can't say honestly but that would be my guess. I can't imagine there was that much of a shift however.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-23-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 05:46 PM
Celtica
Driver

Kahn, you have been a wealth of information today, thank you so much brother. The Manzo m2 was was was just looking at.
Old 10-23-17, 06:10 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I just ordered the Tanabe axle back for my 99SC400, reason, I installed the Shine kit and the stock exhaust tips are lost under the car lol. I had the Monzo on my SC300 and was good but I decided to try the Tanabe. I will install it once I get the car back from paint.
If price is not a big deal for you get the Tanabe or just go with the Monzo, can't go wrong with either one.
Old 10-23-17, 10:04 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ Good point, BiGEZ. I found the Manzo/M2 axle backs to be a good fit for my stock rounded 1993 rear bumper. I'm sure a 1998-00 rear bumper would fit it well also. Once you put a proper body kit on these cars the factory exhaust tips or any aftermarket catback exhaust that is visually closer to stock will get lost in the new bodywork.
Old 10-23-17, 10:14 PM
Celtica
Driver

Thanks guys! ��
Old 10-23-17, 10:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
5Zigen, Tanabe and some other companies make more expensive axle back exhausts for our cars. Often you get a lot more volume compared to stock with them and depending on the product, some drone. It depends on the product and also what you want to change to.
The 5zigens were surprisingly quiet given how much visual attention they draw.

The tanabe medallion was one of my favorite exhaust for the SC. It's a little bit louder than stock, but not overbearing.

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
I just ordered the Tanabe axle back for my 99SC400, reason, I installed the Shine kit and the stock exhaust tips are lost under the car lol. I had the Monzo on my SC300 and was good but I decided to try the Tanabe. I will install it once I get the car back from paint.
If price is not a big deal for you get the Tanabe or just go with the Monzo, can't go wrong with either one.
Most of the bolt on aftermarket exhaust line up right with the edge of aftermarket bumpers or are slightly recessed in my experience. It looks fine from the rear, but the sides are covered.
Old 10-23-17, 10:47 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ It has been a few years since I've heard a 5zigen equipped SC. Visually they are eye catching but I have to defer to you on the sound. The Tanabe Medallion is another good suggestion for the OP. I recall I wanted to get that system myself now that you've jogged my memory. The only reason I didn't was cost over the M2. I have had a Tanabe exhaust system on a previous car and their quality is extremely good.
Old 11-02-17, 06:36 PM
Celtica
Driver

My resonators were replaced with straight pipe a few years ago so I'm not sure if the axle back would end up being too loud or what.